The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Help With Saryn Melee Build

(PSN)Snappy-D93

Question

So I just recently added saryn to my arsenal and as usual I have a unique build in mind but don't quite know how to make it work yet, The ideal mods id like to put on this build are..
Aura; steel charge
contagion cloud
Regenerative molt
Rage
Quick thinking
Vitality
Primed Flow

And the icing on the cake, Naramons Shadow Step and deadly intent Passives.

My weapon of choice so far is Prisma dual cleavers, 40% status chance 40% Crit chance.

The idea behind the build would be staying cloaked with shadow step and using molt to draw fire, heal/regain energy using rage and add Radial viral damage. All the time using toxic lash/ contagion cloud and a little spore action every now and then to add extra damage over time so in short a stealth dps build. I just dont know what other mods i should use to really bring the idea to life

Edited by (PS4)Snappy-D93

20 answers to this question

Saw the video.

I think the damage you're dealing combined with the invisibility will allow you to handle most situations a standard melee build wouldn't. The only thing bothering me about it is that you will need to drop that invisibility so that Rage can do it's job. With a tank build you can kind of do that, but without armor mods I'm guessing it will be pretty dangerous in some cases. You could end up not wanting to drop your invisibility because the risk is too high and that would reduce your damage if you were out of energy.

Still, this is just a possibility. You have over 600 energy to spend before you even need to worry about this. And there are also several sources of AoE damage that will recover your energy (damage you) even while you're invisible. Using Molt wisely could be enough to keep you well supplied. Just be careful with those Napalms and Bombards.

One other thing I just remembered. Do you guys have the Blood Rush mod on consoles yet? Because "+165% Critical Chance stacks with Combo Multiplier" is probably something you'll want for this build.

Don't know much about which mods would be ideal because I'm not really into min-maxing. The only thing I can think of is trying the Atterax instead of the Cleavers. Both have similar stats but the Atterax is a little bit stronger, faster, has more status and probably has more range as well.

+1 on Quick-thinking being paired with Flow

Thinking Contagion Cloud could be replaced with Flow (Primed Flow)

I do question the use of Rage with a Shadow Step build

I also feel you might be better off with more Quick-melee friendly weapon

I dislike the Weapon, but Orthos Prime as a Quick-melee Reach + Crit Weapon should pair well with an Embolist in hand with Augment

Toxic-lash is going to make Orthos Prime 100% Toxin Status anyway so you can just build for Range, Raw base damage, speed and criticals.

Embolist Proc will grant energy and extra Viral AoE Proc never hurts.

+ You can Get frontal cone additional Toxin Procs which add up to being very potent with Toxic Lash guaranteed 1 Spore pop per Enemy (which shares all Toxic DoTs from Enemy with popped Spore on additional enemies in range which is just more DoT Stacking especially with Mobs)

Combined with Stealth Passives and that Regenerative Molt can be used as your heal since Quick-melee is not Life-Strike friendly

+1 on Quick-thinking being paired with Flow

Thinking Contagion Cloud could be replaced with Flow (Primed Flow)

I do question the use of Rage with a Shadow Step build

I also feel you might be better off with more Quick-melee friendly weapon

I dislike the Weapon, but Orthos Prime as a Quick-melee Reach + Crit Weapon should pair well with an Embolist in hand with Augment

Toxic-lash is going to make Orthos Prime 100% Toxin Status anyway so you can just build for Range, Raw base damage, speed and criticals.

+ You can Get frontal cone additional Toxin Procs which add up to being very potent with Toxic Lash guaranteed 1 Spore pop per Enemy (which shares all Toxic DoTs from Enemy with popped Spore on additional enemies in range which is just more DoT Stacking especially with Mobs)

Combined with Stealth Passives and that Regenerative Molt can be used as your heal since Quick-melee is not Life-Strike friendly

thx ill really put this info into thought b4 i finish my build

Since only three people posted here and you already replied to two of them, I'm going to assume that by "anyone" you mean me.

The Atterax is a whip.

No not you dude i was saying before some did, like they always do. My bad if you took it as i was talking too you. I woulda quoted your post if i meant you Edited by (PS4)Snappy-D93

No problem. I wasn't sure about it myself and thought I should clarify.

Good luck with your build. And if you happen to have the time, please let us how it turned out. I tried my hand on melee Saryn but I couldn't make anything good for high level content. Still very fun to use though.

No problem. I wasn't sure about it myself and thought I should clarify.

Good luck with your build. And if you happen to have the time, please let us how it turned out. I tried my hand on melee Saryn but I couldn't make anything good for high level content. Still very fun to use though.

i will so far the way i have it i can take down 20 lvl 65 heavy gunners in less than a min. So i have high hopes for it

+ You can Get frontal cone additional Toxin Procs which add up to being very potent with Toxic Lash

i'd rather use an Edgy Cernos for that myself.

in Simulation i went to the extreme and applied upwards of a hundred Toxin Status on an Enemy, then used Spores to spread it and... was not impressed.

the extra Damage that the transferred DoT will deal with extra Toxin Status stacked has extremely bad returns.

ex.

Magdumping a shiny Grakata into a Brood Mother, stacking a crapload of Toxin Status;

cloud of numbers on that Brood Mother;

cast Spores on the Brood Mother;

whack at it with Toxic Lash for a good 5 seconds;

all other Brood Mothers taking ~500 Toxin/Sec before Resistances.

woo.....

Brood Mothers chosen because their entire chest area is a Weakpoint, letting me get Crit Weakpoint Multipliers to boost the Toxin as much as possible.

trying to spread Toxin Status in particular is a waste of time. it's for novelty or for giving Miasma more Damage. you don't get any relevant DoT out of it, even if you stack dozens and dozens before spreading.

even in best case scenario, giving a ridiculous amount of Toxin Status instances to stack together, the result is poo.

so i try a couple other things...

got ~1400/sec with Torid.

got ~500/sec with Embolist.

got ~140/sec with Hikou P.

got ~400/sec with Acrid.

it's just not worth the effort of magdumping an Enemy to try and spread a lot of Toxin Status.

which for the OP just means don't worry about the Toxin spreading w/ Spores, one Toxin Status instance is fine, doesn't matter how powerful it is. just don't try to use the Toxin Status spread as actual Damage.

if you want Toxin Status, either use what you get from Toxic Lash to apply it manually, or use a Gun to do the same.

Edited by taiiat

you need a good weapon with high status chance to proc.

you also need the the armor to tank

Steel or armored ( deosnt matter)

you need the augmented, saryn 2nd skill.

you dont need vitality

but you do need max effciency to spam 2nd skill and go melee

finish it off with ur 4th skill

get duration and damage

all rounder built xd

Saw the video.

I think the damage you're dealing combined with the invisibility will allow you to handle most situations a standard melee build wouldn't. The only thing bothering me about it is that you will need to drop that invisibility so that Rage can do it's job. With a tank build you can kind of do that, but without armor mods I'm guessing it will be pretty dangerous in some cases. You could end up not wanting to drop your invisibility because the risk is too high and that would reduce your damage if you were out of energy.

Still, this is just a possibility. You have over 600 energy to spend before you even need to worry about this. And there are also several sources of AoE damage that will recover your energy (damage you) even while you're invisible. Using Molt wisely could be enough to keep you well supplied. Just be careful with those Napalms and Bombards.

One other thing I just remembered. Do you guys have the Blood Rush mod on consoles yet? Because "+165% Critical Chance stacks with Combo Multiplier" is probably something you'll want for this build.

Thx for checking it out and as for blood rush.... Noy yet but i can see what you mean Edited by (PS4)Snappy-D93

i'd rather use an Edgy Cernos for that myself.

in Simulation i went to the extreme and applied upwards of a hundred Toxin Status on an Enemy, then used Spores to spread it and... was not impressed.

the extra Damage that the transferred DoT will deal with extra Toxin Status stacked has extremely bad returns.

ex.

Magdumping a shiny Grakata into a Brood Mother, stacking a crapload of Toxin Status;

cloud of numbers on that Brood Mother;

cast Spores on the Brood Mother;

whack at it with Toxic Lash for a good 5 seconds;

all other Brood Mothers taking ~500 Toxin/Sec before Resistances.

woo.....

Brood Mothers chosen because their entire chest area is a Weakpoint, letting me get Crit Weakpoint Multipliers to boost the Toxin as much as possible.

trying to spread Toxin Status in particular is a waste of time. it's for novelty or for giving Miasma more Damage. you don't get any relevant DoT out of it, even if you stack dozens and dozens before spreading.

even in best case scenario, giving a ridiculous amount of Toxin Status instances to stack together, the result is poo.

so i try a couple other things...

got ~1400/sec with Torid.

got ~500/sec with Embolist.

got ~140/sec with Hikou P.

got ~400/sec with Acrid.

it's just not worth the effort of magdumping an Enemy to try and spread a lot of Toxin Status.

which for the OP just means don't worry about the Toxin spreading w/ Spores, one Toxin Status instance is fine, doesn't matter how powerful it is. just don't try to use the Toxin Status spread as actual Damage.

if you want Toxin Status, either use what you get from Toxic Lash to apply it manually, or use a Gun to do the same.

You Quoted me saying Spreading Toxic with Toxic Lash was potent

But then say Toxic DoTs are not worth it, unless applied manually with Toxic Lash.

I will agree that Toxic Procs from Guns are not as impressive mainly since they don't have the increasing scalability that Melee has access to.

Mainly though because OP suggested Melee : I was trying to show a Quick-melee build that is using melee for most of the damage but can use the Proc benefits associated with Embolist or Rakta Cernos (as you pointed out) as Viral spread is great.

Closest demonstration I can give of what Toxic Lash Orthos Prime Quick-melee should be like is Gas Serro Banshee.

Since Toxic Lash guarantees a Spore popped on each Enemy it basically the Synergy in a way resembles Gas Serro Burst

(AoE DoTs and Electric Burst replaced by Spore Burst Damage on pop)

While the guns do share Enemy weakpoint and critical Multipliers: the Melee combo multiplier combined with Stealth Multiplier seems sufficient for high Damage Toxin DoT's even on what I consider rather heavily Armed Enemies

Gas Serro Banshee no Corrosive Projection vs Lvl 105 Heavy Gunner and Bombards

If Banshee can do it, Saryn can do it better!

So i tossed together a build going off multiple opinion's, and this is what i got...

FYI - lower than normal Duration does nothing useful for Saryn.

positive Duration is always recommended. 

however you can get away with it as Rage will feed in more than enough Energy to compensate for the extra Ability Casting you'll have to do in the long run with reduced Duration.

Amazerath hit the nail on the head - being Invisible technically makes Rage difficult to use, but higher Level Missions have plenty of random bullets and AoE Spam that'll surely hit you even if you're Invisible.

If Banshee can do it, Saryn can do it better!

except Banshee can easily multiply whatever the Weapon has by 10x+.

Saryn would get 4x from Stealth Multiplier, and that's it.

Saryn fares better for big groups though, since Sonar Points aren't super friendly to Melee and applying acceptable DoT with Enemies generally being under Viral Status will Damage all of the Enemies at once.

Sonar Points would generally instantly Kill the Enemy afflicted, provided you get them on the right body parts - the not so friendly to Melee part since even with Resonance you're still reapplying over and over to make it hard for you to miss them.

FYI - lower than normal Duration does nothing useful for Saryn.

positive Duration is always recommended. 

however you can get away with it as Rage will feed in more than enough Energy to compensate for the extra Ability Casting you'll have to do in the long run with reduced Duration.

Amazerath hit the nail on the head - being Invisible technically makes Rage difficult to use, but higher Level Missions have plenty of random bullets and AoE Spam that'll surely hit you even if you're Invisible.

except Banshee can easily multiply whatever the Weapon has by 10x+.

Saryn would get 4x from Stealth Multiplier, and that's it.

Saryn fares better for big groups though, since Sonar Points aren't super friendly to Melee and applying acceptable DoT with Enemies generally being under Viral Status will Damage all of the Enemies at once.

Sonar Points would generally instantly Kill the Enemy afflicted, provided you get them on the right body parts - the not so friendly to Melee part since even with Resonance you're still reapplying over and over to make it hard for you to miss them.

Big +1

(Sadly I build minimum Duration + Max Range for Silence Spam so only 125% Power Strength (Sonar is 6.25 multiplier) so Resonance isn't helpful for me.)

For anyone that didnt read my original post. Melee saryn build. MELEE NOT OTHER WEAPONS

thx ill really put this info into thought b4 i finish my build

Yeah, some Melee Weapons perform favorably with Quick-melee rather than stance equipped attacks.

Quick-melee attacks I would rate as more favourable than using the Melee-equipped stance combos:

Polearms : Quick-melee is decent attack speed for building combo-multiplier and fantastic Range

Nunchaku: Great Quick-melee speed (Hoping the fix for 1st hit Quick-melee not applying comes to PS4 soon) and decent Range with Primed Reach (Can take out Corpus Cameras)

Vermillion Storm Quick-melee with Ripkas

Crits + Bleed Procs and decent attack coverage

For Single Bleed Stacking any Single Dagger without Pointed Wind

-Stanceless and Homing Fang Quick-melee allows for quick Bleed Stacking regardless of Base Dagger damage type

(Dark Dagger works well for increased Status duration which allows current Bleed ticks to grow with Combo multiplier) (Sheev has decent chance to inflict Bleed on 1st and 2nd attacks rather than only the 3rd guaranteed Slash Proc on Quick-melee)

Because of the few certain Quick-melee advantageous you gain more access to a desired Syndicate Proc as you can choose between Primary and Secondary weapons.

I'm looking forward to Blood Rush more than Body-Count, but only because I feel 3x Multiplier is easily obtainable with Above listed Quick-melee, so I may not need Body Count to occupy a slot.

Blood Rush however using Arcane Aveneger's flat 30% Crit chance before the 165% Crit chance boost applied at combo count multiplier intervals...thus allowing even a Serro to red Crit : Yes I'll take that