The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Mod: Soma Prime And Twin Grakatas

Ifeno

Question

Hey guys! I've been away from the game for a few months and was wondering if my old builds are still good as well as what the new "ideal / recommended" builds for these two are.

Some Prime:

Serration

Hammer Shot

Point Strike

Vital Sense

Split Chamber

Shred

Stormbringer

Infected Clip

Twin Grakatas:

Hornet Strike

Target Cracker

Pistol Gambit

Seeker

Lethal Torrent

Barrel Diffusion

(2 personal preference quality of live mods)

Stunning Speed

Pistol Ammo Mutation

I remember people were talking about the multishot mods getting reworked and not being as good any more.  Is that true?

Anyways, any and all advice is highly appreciated!

11 answers to this question

These are the builds that I use right now. 

Twin Grakata (I see your build doesn't have elementals. They're needed to get the most damage from your gear.)

jy0n18r.jpg

Soma Prime

mdXG5CY.jpg

(Since you said you've been away from 3 months, I can assume you may not have the new event mods (Like Bladed Rounds, if you don't have it Heavy Caliber would be fine)

And yes, multishot will be getting re-balanced. Every extra shot that the mod gives you will take an extra bullet from your ammo pool. It will still be good, but It will come with a trade-off, just like Heavy Caliber.

Edited by PUR3K1LL3R

These are my builds for them:

Warframe0062_zpszukic7ry.jpg

Warframe0063_zpsttadiklx.jpg

For the Grakatas I don't run Lethal Torrent because I feel the damage is already high enough, Instead I run Quick Draw to reduce that ridiculous 3 second reload time. For the Soma I used to run 3 elementals but now I run Argon Scope as it really encourages me to aim for the head shots and I really enjoy the red crits. From my testing against level 105 heavy gunners it seems that argon scope is better but I am not sure on the math of that.

Edited by S0V3REiGN

The SomaP is no different that the Soma when it comes to modding. Also, on your build, lose the Hammershot. It's a dps loss compared to about everything aside from ammo drum. Replace it with Vile Acceleration, Heavy Caliber, or Bladed Rounds. Argon Scope is a possibility, but it felt like the gun was struggling a bit in T3 when I tested there. Haven't seen any math, but the first three seemed to have lower kill times on heavy gunners and bombards.

The Two Graks...eh, haven't worked with them much, but they're crit guns so go nuts with the primed crit mods. Also work in Primed Heated Charge where you can. The rest is the usual, though the guns smoke through ammo like no tomorrow, so a mutator might be necessary if you use them a lot.

The SomaP is no different that the Soma when it comes to modding. Also, on your build, lose the Hammershot. It's a dps loss compared to about everything aside from ammo drum. Replace it with Vile Acceleration, Heavy Caliber, or Bladed Rounds. Argon Scope is a possibility, but it felt like the gun was struggling a bit in T3 when I tested there. Haven't seen any math, but the first three seemed to have lower kill times on heavy gunners and bombards.

The Two Graks...eh, haven't worked with them much, but they're crit guns so go nuts with the primed crit mods. Also work in Primed Heated Charge where you can. The rest is the usual, though the guns smoke through ammo like no tomorrow, so a mutator might be necessary if you use them a lot.

Why is Hammer Shot considered to be so bad?  I thought it'd be perfect for a crit build, no?

Hammer Shot is bad because it simply doesn't give enough critical damage. You increase your critical damage to (1 Base + 1.2 Vital Sense + 0.6 Hammer Shot) / (1 + 1.2) = 1.273 times your damage without it. Assuming 100% critical chance, a regular Bane mod is still better (27.3% versus 30%).

For comparison:

Adding a r9 Heavy Caliber on a weapon that already has an r10 Serration is a 56.6% increase.

Adding a 3rd 90% elemental mod, before enemy vulnerabilities, is a 32.1% increase.

Adding Speed Trigger to a weapon that already has Vile Acceleration is a 55.2% increase (in burst dps).

Edited by FourThoughts