Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] "uther, The True Paladin." (Cc/defensive)

Spar_k

Warframe Frame Concept "Uther, the Paladin."

Name Inspiration: We were inspired by the name of King Arthur's father, Uther Pendragon.

Lore: -Work In Progress-

Stats Reasoning: In order to create a paladin, we of course must have a somewhat beefy frame.

This is also very much required in order to support Uther's third ability, or

else he would be crushed by taking the damage of two frames. (Himself/Target)

Stats:

~Armor: 300

~Health: (Base 125)-(Max Unmodded 350)

~Shield: Base 75)-(Max Unmodded 200)

~Power: 150

Abilities:

1: Crusade- Charges towards target and hits them with shield made of light, dealing a 100% 

blast proc and doing 50/100/150/200 impact damage. This ability will consume 25 energy 

upon casting.

2: Protector- Brings out the same shield and places it in front of Uther, absorbing all 20%/40%/60%/80%

of the damage dealt to shield. This shield will follow Uther in the same fashion that Odanta's

"Energy Shield" does, working as a directional barrier. Enemies cannot move through this

shield, making it viable for blocking a doorway or choke point. The ability will consume 50 

energy upon cast, and last for 5/8/11/14 seconds upon casting. Power range will determine 

how far or close the shield is to the player, for instance, if you would like the shield 

to be personal and in front of you, you would build for negative power range, effectively

creating a barrier between yourself, and a mob of enemies.

3: Salvation- Aim and cast onto a friendly player or entity, Allowing Uther to receive 100% 

of all damage dealt to affected target until Uther's energy is fully depleted. Consumes 3 

energy per second while active. While active, Uther will recieve a  15%/30%/45%/60% Armor

increase, and a 5%/10%/15%/20% shield recharge rate bonus. This ability will be similar to

Limbo's rift, but as a trade off for the damage not being put into the void, the players can

still interact with and pick up items.

4: Sacred Walls- Uther will summon his shield and slam the ground, similar to Atlas casting

"Rumblers". Upon hitting the ground, Uther will emit a circular wall of light, visually similar

to Vauban's "Bastille". This wall will expand outward similar to Nova's "Molecular Prime" and 

push all enemies back, with the same mechanic applied to enemies inside of Frost's "Snowglobe"

when he casts it. At the end of of ability, all enemies pushed back will recieve a 100% blast

proc, knocking them down for 1/2/3/4 seconds. This ability would consume 100 energy from Uther.

General Info/Commentary:

A quick explanation of each ability, and the inspirations/applications of each. So to start off,

I'd like to say that when we made this frame, we wanted to create a Paladin type character. Visually

he would look like a knight, and the shield would be his trademark weapon, just as Wukong is partial

to his staff, or Excal is to his Sword. That being said, let's move onto applications. 

1: The first ability is to fill the niche for a quick melee strike, which is a fond and useful part of 

many frames. We see this applied to many popular frames such as Rhino, Atlas, Excal, Nekros, and in

each frame it's quite useful to take down a specific enemy, or quickly strike to get out of a tight

spot.

2: The second ability is something I feel has been needed in a ground based frame for a while. Being able

to cast a shield that is mobile, and can easily support multiple teammate with the flick of a mouse, or

swipe of a controller stick. We currently don't have anything that can carry such a versatile role in

defending your fellow tenno. Some things we thought might be worth adding to this ability would be the

limitation of Uther only being able to use his Secondary weapon while it is cast. We understand this

ability could be seen as a bit overpowered if it's not limited in some way, so it seems like a fair trade.

We were unsure of how big this wall could be, but I think it's safe to assume it would be around the same

size as Volt's shield, or Odanta's shield, but slightly more narrow. Not to large, but large enough to choke

out a group of enemies, or defend an objective/team. Something up for argument is whether or not the wall would

be able to clip through walls/the ground the same was Odanta's shield tends to. Even other frame casted walls can

clip through, such as Frost's Snowglobe, Volt's Shield, and Atlas's wall, but a mobile clipping wall might be

pushing it. Thoughts?

3: The third ability will allow for a Uther to play a heavy support role in the battlefield. Maybe a teammate is

about to go down while hacking an important terminal (Razerback anyone?), or perphaps they're taking too much damageand need time to recover. Sometimes you just want to speed-run a capture, so have Uther hang out away from the crowd, and tank all the damage for your speed runner. It could even help a newer player, say they're having issues with a mission, but still really want to play with their friends, Uther can occasionally take some of the weight off their shoulders. It really opens up a whole new door of opportunity which Limbo has always denied the player of. Yes, rift is incredibly useful for rescue targets, but when it comes to other players, it can get annoying without proper communication. Now, with Uther, you won't have to worry about not being able to pick up that rare mod because of the rift. Not being able to grab that last neurode because of a casting mistakes, you get what I mean. Overall this will offer an alternative to tanking damage without having to hide under a Snowglobe, using a wall (Irony, Uther has a wall), spamming rift/hysteria, etc.

4: This ability was made simply for intense CC. Your extractor is taking too much damage and about to go down? Sacred Wall. Defending a sortie Cyropod and getting overrun? Sacred Wall. Bored and want to want everything around you get knocked on their @$$? Sacred Wall. Not to mention, I think it would look really cool to have a wall of light pushing everything around you far away, thus giving you lots of time to regroup, reload, and recover. I feel like my description in the actual ability section was pretty good for an idea of how it would look visually, so I won't go over that too much, but feel free to ask questions.

A small side note that I feel is needed in this day and age, while this frame is based on a heroic knight (Paladin) whose time frame is heavily influenced by religious ideas, it's merely because of a need to fill the creative character background niche. Don't take-any of the names of abilities or backstory with serious religious weight, it's just to stick with lore. Thanks! (:

This was made by a small group of friend who feel Warframe could use a new defensive/CC frame for fun! Any and all feedback is welcome but try to be specific so we can work on changes based on criticism! Saying "Good/Bad" is nice and all, but doesn't tell us what to keep or change. Thank you so much for your time and support, and I'll try to answer all questions as soon as possible! If this gets enough support, we have a friend who does 3D modeling, and could give you guys a better visual of how the frame would look! In the meantime, if Uther gets some good feedback, I'll add a verbal description of the model. Expect more frame ideas soon!
Edited by Spar_k

I also was a fan of Uther Lightbringer in the Warcraft series and I am sure Pendragon was the inspiration for his name as well. Oberon is already a true paladin but I am sure more knights are always good. The idea doesn't seem like a Paladin 'sides the naming scheme but sounds like cool abilities none the less. Explosive is something of an underused damage type since it gets so many penalties versus armor types, good to see some idea's for it.

looks pretty interesting.

1e power it pretty standert, but there is nothing perse wrong with that.
2e power looks a pit OP though. just block all damage, why would you not use that? it might be better if it blocks a percentage of the damage and lets part of it pass though.

3e power i won't ever see used. why would you want to take damage for them if you can just draw out the fire, or just use the second.

4e power looks ok for uther, but a bit annoying the rest of the team. a lot of other powers that do something similar don't move the enemy, mo prime, chaos, avalanche (yea snow globe pushes them but you don't often see people mash that). if you have played with a someone with the sonicor a couple of times you know the annoyance.

some good ideas, but I think they need some tweaking.

I also was a fan of Uther Lightbringer in the Warcraft series and I am sure Pendragon was the inspiration for his name as well. Oberon is already a true paladin but I am sure more knights are always good. The idea doesn't seem like a Paladin 'sides the naming scheme but sounds like cool abilities none the less. Explosive is something of an underused damage type since it gets so many penalties versus armor types, good to see some idea's for it.

My issue with Oberon is that his abilities are severely out-shined by many other frames. Smite is decent, but many other frames have better 1 to kill skills. Hydroid can do hollowed ground far better with his pool. Renewal is a bit of a mess, and seems like it shouldn't be timed, however, until it's a drain based ability, a desecrating Necros will be more useful. Reckoning is decent and all, but again, very underwhelming in the grand scheme of things. The idea of the Paladin was to be a defender of the weak, someone renowned for heroism, personally I don't think a decaying radioisotope like Oberon fills that niche. I feel like a Paladin should be a protector, rather than a mediocre frame with one underwhelming healing ability. I agree about the blast damage though, just wish I had a better way to implement it. Thanks for the feedback (:

looks pretty interesting.

1e power it pretty standert, but there is nothing perse wrong with that.

2e power looks a pit OP though. just block all damage, why would you not use that? it might be better if it blocks a percentage of the damage and lets part of it pasrs though.

3e power i won't ever see used. why would you want to take damage for them if you can just draw out the fire, or just use the second.

4e power looks ok for uther, but a bit annoying the rest of the team. a lot of other powers that do something similar don't move the enemy, mo prime, chaos, avalanche (yea snow globe pushes them but you don't often see people mash that). if you have played with a someone with the sonicor a couple of times you know the annoyance.

some good ideas, but I think they need some tweaking.

I agree, that first ability is very similar to a lot of other frames. I'm welcome to any ideas that might make it more unique, I just don't want to give it too much power. For the 2, I could scale the damage blocked up to 80% or something like that, I agree, that could be a bit much. Third power can be manipulated as a personal buff if your target isn't taking damage (Aka a limbo/rhino/etc) which will result in your frame having a splendid boost in armor etc. I know what you mean about the sonicor, even though I use one (Lol), I feel like pushing them away would be pretty useful, if you get overwhelmed, it could help you out. Welcome to a more direct criticism of what to change on it though! Thank you for the feedback (:

I agree, that first ability is very similar to a lot of other frames. I'm welcome to any ideas that might make it more unique, I just don't want to give it too much power. For the 2, I could scale the damage blocked up to 80% or something like that, I agree, that could be a bit much. Third power can be manipulated as a personal buff if your target isn't taking damage (Aka a limbo/rhino/etc) which will result in your frame having a splendid boost in armor etc. I know what you mean about the sonicor, even though I use one (Lol), I feel like pushing them away would be pretty useful, if you get overwhelmed, it could help you out. Welcome to a more direct criticism of what to change on it though! Thank you for the feedback (:

like I said, there is nothing wrong with a standert 1e power, almost half the frames have a very standert charge at enemy/shoot element at enemie as a first. yea, there is potential to manipulate the 3e, but i don't think it is that great an idea for a power to be good that it needs to manipulated from the start, maybe just a buff, that can help everyone and feels pretty good.

and the 4e is not bad, it looks pretty good, nice CC and a bit of damage, always nice. i mostly said that is could be kind of annoying, and you don't want to turn this frame into the new ash, good, but everyone hates 4e spam. and i use the sonicor a lot myself too. got to love the CCspacegun (it shoots people into space doesn't it :)

My issue with Oberon is that his abilities are severely out-shined by many other frames. Smite is decent, but many other frames have better 1 to kill skills. Hydroid can do hollowed ground far better with his pool. Renewal is a bit of a mess, and seems like it shouldn't be timed, however, until it's a drain based ability, a desecrating Necros will be more useful. Reckoning is decent and all, but again, very underwhelming in the grand scheme of things. The idea of the Paladin was to be a defender of the weak, someone renowned for heroism, personally I don't think a decaying radioisotope like Oberon fills that niche. I feel like a Paladin should be a protector, rather than a mediocre frame with one underwhelming healing ability. I agree about the blast damage though, just wish I had a better way to implement it. Thanks for the feedback (:

Oberon covers all the Paladin archtype quite well, though we might disagree with the the effectiveness of the moves (I personally would like Hallowed Ground to be a toggled aura of sorts to encourage use and movement but that is another topic); Oberon gives damage with utility in Smite - in fact Smite is one of the stronger single target first ability moves - Smite does damage, radiation, and knockdown while also spawning seeking wisps to hurt nearby enemies; Armor and light damage in Hallowed Ground; Healing in Renewal and Reckoning's kill effect of giving health orbs; area effect damage, knockdown, and radiation status in Reckoning. While it is certainly true the Oberon is not the best at the roles the warframe fills, that is also part of the theme of a Paladin - much of the warrior ability of a knight or soldier coupled with some of the healing abilities of a cleric or healer. In effective comparison with Warframe, Oberon has direct damage abilities and toughness associated with more frontline warframes through not to their focused extent and has team healing though not to the extent of Trinity - the only warframe that heals better - the Cleric warframe in our comparison. While I like your idea, it doesn't really capture the archtype of a Paladin but does capture some aspects that make up Defender/Tank archtypes that try to attract and control enemy attention - something Rhino originally did with Iron Skin and still has to an extent with his Rhino Stomp.

Personally, I like the overall idea of your warframe abilities and think it would make an interesting companion to warframes like Oberon and Hydroid - all rounder types - but I wouldn't dismiss so easily what has come before or yet to come. I like the Blast damage and damage link idea, especially if your Defender, 'Uther' has the higher life, shield, and armor to pull off such a move, and the repelling bastille / wyrm crowd control ability is interesting for creating breathing room. I also like the idea of having a moveable volt shield of sorts similar to the Odanata Energy shield, especially if it increased damage of weapons shooting through it - the move was previously on Hayden Tenno, the main character of DarkSector - though I don't recall his increasing damage off the top. Blast doesn't really have the purifying fire feel of running around irradiating the impure, but if pushed agressively with your abilities, it might be enough to stand on its own.

Oberon covers all the Paladin archtype quite well, though we might disagree with the the effectiveness of the moves (I personally would like Hallowed Ground to be a toggled aura of sorts to encourage use and movement but that is another topic); Oberon gives damage with utility in Smite - in fact Smite is one of the stronger single target first ability moves - Smite does damage, radiation, and knockdown while also spawning seeking wisps to hurt nearby enemies; Armor and light damage in Hallowed Ground; Healing in Renewal and Reckoning's kill effect of giving health orbs; area effect damage, knockdown, and radiation status in Reckoning. While it is certainly true the Oberon is not the best at the roles the warframe fills, that is also part of the theme of a Paladin - much of the warrior ability of a knight or soldier coupled with some of the healing abilities of a cleric or healer. In effective comparison with Warframe, Oberon has direct damage abilities and toughness associated with more frontline warframes through not to their focused extent and has team healing though not to the extent of Trinity - the only warframe that heals better - the Cleric warframe in our comparison. While I like your idea, it doesn't really capture the archtype of a Paladin but does capture some aspects that make up Defender/Tank archtypes that try to attract and control enemy attention - something Rhino originally did with Iron Skin and still has to an extent with his Rhino Stomp.

i agrea, oberon is a pretty good all around frame and for me captures the feeling of a paladin. uther feels more like a knight defending his friends, but doesn't really capture the feeling of a paladin for me.

On 2/22/2016 at 3:58 PM, swordsmastagrif said:

Perhaps change the name to something else, as Excalibur is already a reference to Arthurian legend. My suggestion would be Aegis which references the legendary shield of Zeus.

I'm somewhat fond of his current name, but it may change over time! Thanks for the feedback

On 2/18/2016 at 4:37 AM, Urlan said:

Personally, I like the overall idea of your warframe abilities and think it would make an interesting companion to warframes like Oberon and Hydroid - all rounder types - but I wouldn't dismiss so easily what has come before or yet to come. I like the Blast damage and damage link idea, especially if your Defender, 'Uther' has the higher life, shield, and armor to pull off such a move, and the repelling bastille / wyrm crowd control ability is interesting for creating breathing room. I also like the idea of having a moveable volt shield of sorts similar to the Odanata Energy shield, especially if it increased damage of weapons shooting through it - the move was previously on Hayden Tenno, the main character of DarkSector - though I don't recall his increasing damage off the top. Blast doesn't really have the purifying fire feel of running around irradiating the impure, but if pushed agressively with your abilities, it might be enough to stand on its own.

I like the idea of having the shield buff damage, that'd be rather useful. Might add that in the next version, thank you for the idea! The blast damage, while outshined by some other Damage 2.0 options, is terribly under-used in frames, and I feel like it'd be a refreshing to have a new face with a lesser used damage output.

Primary)

Righteous Bastion- Uther assigns divine protection to an ally, placing an energy based shield on them that absorbs 20% damage from all sources for 7/10/13/16 seconds before the shield is launched at the nearest enemy dealing the total amount of damage absorbed as impact damage. (similar to current 2)

Up to 3 shields can be active at once, stacking reduced damage with each shield.

Secondary)

Damning Light- Uther calls forth a burst of energy to pin down any enemies currently affected by CC, dealing 40/80/120/160 heat damage per second and holding them in place. If the enemy was recently knocked down by Sacred Wall, they have a 15/30/45/60% better chance to drop a health orb.

19 hours ago, (PS4)KamirooWolf said:

Primary)

Righteous Bastion- Uther assigns divine protection to an ally, placing an energy based shield on them that absorbs 20% damage from all sources for 7/10/13/16 seconds before the shield is launched at the nearest enemy dealing the total amount of damage absorbed as impact damage. (similar to current 2)

Up to 3 shields can be active at once, stacking reduced damage with each shield.

Secondary)

Damning Light- Uther calls forth a burst of energy to pin down any enemies currently affected by CC, dealing 40/80/120/160 heat damage per second and holding them in place. If the enemy was recently knocked down by Sacred Wall, they have a 15/30/45/60% better chance to drop a health orb.

I'm going to assume that by Primary/Secondary you mean his 1 and 2. That being said, I've wanted to replace his 1, and I like your idea for it, and I'll likely put it in Uther 2.0, just in a slightly altered lore and manner. I'm going to keep his 2 for right now, as I've been given some very cool changes I could make to it. Thank you for your feedback and input!

4 hours ago, Spar_k said:

I'm going to assume that by Primary/Secondary you mean his 1 and 2. That being said, I've wanted to replace his 1, and I like your idea for it, and I'll likely put it in Uther 2.0, just in a slightly altered lore and manner. I'm going to keep his 2 for right now, as I've been given some very cool changes I could make to it. Thank you for your feedback and input!

Any time and thanks for allowing me to post them!