Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How would you feel about free melee movement?

PerishedFraud

Speed is the main reason I switch to Melee. When something is in my face that needs to be slaughtered quickly, that's when the blades come out. Otherwise it's something that guns can do much much more efficiently.

While some people like the speed/power trade off, I personally see it as a needing a band aid to be viable. Too big of a trade off if you don't have sufficient CC. Even then, by the time I kill an enemy with a heavy weapon, I could have moved on to the next three with something lighter.

I do believe faster movement/attack speed for certain weapons would be beneficial to fixing this and other issues. Not to mention, who doesn't want to be a sprinting, bullet jumping whirlwind of bloody carnage?

Exilus mods would be perfect place for modifying these preferences, like for example slide simply increasing the distance you cover while attacking, and maybe one for making finishers and stealth attacks faster?

At least giving all of them secondary melee benefit would make exilus mods more desirable than just using the darn sprint. :D

Edited by Nurmi

8 minutes ago, Nurmi said:

Exilus mods would be perfect place for modifying these preferences, like for example slide simply increasing the distance you cover while attacking, and maybe one for making finishers and stealth attacks faster?

At least this would make exilus mods more desirable than just using the darn sprint. :D

This would be bandaid, not a solution.

Free melee movement is something that would be very helpful in many ways. As mentioned before, weapons like nunchucks, polearms and also the nikana posses this and helps a lot to be able to jump in to a group of enemies and take care of them while staying mobile.

As an Orthos Prime user, its speed combined with range and mobility make it an excellent weapon, but there are other weapons that would feel great share this capability. Heavy blades are one of the best examples, used quite a lot but limited to actually drawing them in order to unleash a massacre, while quick melee is a waste of time unless it is just a slide attack.

I would like, however, that every melee weapon type gets their own set of quick melee attacks. None limiting your movements, and providing the close combat power needed to deal with strong enemies. Having every weapon type have their unique quick melee combos (e.g. Heavy blades have X combo, Swords have Y combo) would also make you think which melee to use (some have horizontal/vertical slashes/sweeps) in each situation.

You seem fixated that only quick melee should grant free movement. 

It kind of has the opposite of the intended effect, making melee better without stances and commitment of wielding the weapon.

I think quick melee should stay as is, instead, all or most weapons should get fully mobile equipped melee.

The idea was of course based on quick melee which, one way or another, is also used but is most times limited to a few weapons. My point was making all weapons viable for it as well.

However, when I said one combo per weapon type, it also means that it's just one combo. Fixed to certain 2 or 3 attacks. Stances of course are way wider in combos and can find a lot more utility, and always more power than quick melee.

But making stances to be free movement, it can take DE really a lot of work depending on if every stance were to be adapted, or only new ones has this feature.

I pointed out something more possible in a short time, however I know that drawing the weapon and using stance combos always has benefits regardless of movement (procs, damage multipliers, even head shots, etc)

That's actually quite deceiving, and not such a large amount of work as it seems.

This is because many combos already move the Tenno around in jumps, dashes, etc and only need free movement during and inbetween these.

Others simply need to be doable while running around, that's just leg animations that already exist!

Only some specific animations/combos need to be changed, like those kicks mentioned above. 

...But honestly, kicking while moving around is a worthy sacrifice for good gameplay.

To make it fun, jumps, spins, kicks and all the cool movements are fine mid combo, even if they have an innate faster push forward, as long as you get to actually control you movement, something like Tempo Royale's right click combo, with the jump and spin that's actually controllable.

Gotta look badass instead of looking like upper body and lower body ain't even connected.

To be honest, in this game there's no point in static combos. We never face one strong opponent 1v1 we can chain the whole combo on.

Bosses should be this kind of opponent, but instead, both with ranged and melee, here all we have to do is move and attack.

Stances like Tempo Royale should be more varied, and quick melee like polearm's more common. Because in the end, it's mostly about reaching efficiency here. So combining it with fun would do wonders.

3 minutes ago, ElGuirrix said:

To be honest, in this game there's no point in static combos. We never face one strong opponent 1v1 we can chain the whole combo on.

Bosses should be this kind of opponent, but instead, both with ranged and melee, here all we have to do is move and attack.

Stances like Tempo Royale should be more varied, and quick melee like polearm's more common. Because in the end, it's mostly about reaching efficiency here. So combining it with fun would do wonders.

Combo's don't have to chain on the same target, the pause combo in Tempo Royale is great for covering a little distance and hitting several enemies in an elegant sequence along the way.

11 minutes ago, KinetosImpetus said:

Combo's don't have to chain on the same target, the pause combo in Tempo Royale is great for covering a little distance and hitting several enemies in an elegant sequence along the way.

By varied I meant more like it, maybe I used the wrong words.

And yes, it is that way, although it doesn't apply to all stances and there's where I go. Some stances have neat good looking combos that no always connect as they probably should.

And I pointed towards a good 1v1, which is rare to happen. We mostly go for the mass kills.

Edited by ElGuirrix