Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How would you feel about free melee movement?

PerishedFraud

Update: The polls show that the playerbase overwhelmingly supports this. I will do my best to keep the thread going without resorting to constant bumping, and for anyone who wants this to be noticed, I'd ask the same.

TLDR: Slice stuff up while running around.

With the recent buffs, melee was made completely viable. However, viable does not mean that it can compare to guns. And really, it can't.

The lingering problem is that you can shoot as many enemies as you want from one position, but you have to get in their faces, one by one, with melee. The combos you perform constantly make you take stops in front of enemies, slowing you down!

So, the idea is that you can move freely while using melee weapons. Attacking would not disable sprinting or slow you down. How will this be implemented? What are the limits? I can throw around some ideas, for example:
-It becomes another effect of body count, as it fits? -use an adapter on a melee to allow it? -Make it innate, but only if you have the weapon equipped? -Toggle it with a button?

I can go on. There is another factor though. Some weapons such as heavy blades, glaives, and maybe whips and gunblades perhaps shouldn't be compatible with this? These weapons already have extremely high damage, ranged attacks, a large area of coverage, etc. But such selectiveness is also somewhat unfair to the users of those weapons, hence I cannot judge.

In the end, the implementation and balancing is up to DE, but the idea remains, and I hope you guys support it.

As such, I've made polls for the occasion.

Do you want unrestricted melee movement? Vote here.

Related bonus poll about melee and parkour.

Vote away, I'm eager to see the responses.  To me, personally, Tenno were always both stylish and deadly, and aside from the gameplay improvement, this really contributes to that image.

Token cool music

Edited by BeeOverlord

Quick melee with nunchuck and polearms do not affect your mobility whatsoever. This is the single biggest thing I would like to extend to the rest of the melee system as much as possible. My opinion on some stances lives or dies on how consistently or inconsistently the stance stops you from moving or uncontrollably throws you off cliffs. I absolutely hate Crossing Snakes and Crashing Forest for these reasons. 

It honestly depends on the combo. Many are fine as-is, requiring only leg movement added if you move during it, or no slowdown.

As for the rest, a few would probably benefit from some animation changing, but most also look just fine without it!

Additionally, the bonus poll is essentially about all-new attacks and animations.

Quick melee with nunchuck and polearms do not affect your mobility whatsoever. This is the single biggest thing I would like to extend to the rest of the melee system as much as possible. My opinion on some stances lives or dies on how consistently or inconsistently the stance stops you from moving or uncontrollably throws you off cliffs. I absolutely hate Crossing Snakes and Crashing Forest for these reasons. 

This guy gets it.

Edited by BeeOverlord

well, we can still perform full combos when crouched as well, because it's all in the Arm movement, unless it's a sparring/Claws stance that includes kicking attacks. it would certainly be nice to not be locked in one animation for some combos.

I would also like to see moves where we bring the enemy closer to us (while stunned of course). moves like grabbing the throat with a Whip and pulling them to us, or impaling them with a Polearm, pulling them, then delivering a quick and powerful strike with the handle. (I'm surprised the former was not introduced for Whips in the first place)

This may not be completely on-topic but I feel for newer players this is a big deal.

By default there is an option under gameplay turned ON, that causes the camera to lock towards nearest enemy when melee'ing.

If you turn that off, it will make your melee attacks much smoother, and allow much more free movement!

Yes please.

Also getting rid of auto lock on would be quite nice.

For example there are situation where an Ancient healer protects a large number of enemies and you have disengage from the enemies you're currently fighting to find that ancient so you can start killing again.

With free movement or no auto melee lock on you can just guide yourself to the ancient mid melee.

Combat would flow better.

This is what i'm talking about theres an option to turn off Melee Camera Locking in the gameplay tab of your options.

I have used this since I began playing warframe, allowing me to move at will in any direction, even around mobs, while swinging about... Camera never auto-moves at all....

I'm surprised more people dont know of this

What he means that certain meele attacks lock you in position so you can't cancel them when you want to escape some sort of damage.

I never had issue with this. You do a wrong move and you suffer the consequences. You bring tactic and timing to your combat and you don't have this problem.

Yeah ... In real life, if you were to never break momentum while running, you aren't going to inflict the same PPSI-pressure when making contact with something.

It takes your body's full support in order to swing many objects with extreme force... using muscles in the abdomen, legs, and shoulders, etc....

It makes sense that sometimes you need to wait for a full swing to finish.... to begin fluid movement again...

Especially in the consideration of you swinging a thin blade, at a monstrously-thick armored foe. You're going to want to put everything you have in it.

EDIT: By the way the option is under Controls, "Align Attacks To Camera"

with that off, it's about as free as I could imagine it being.

Edited by -Ops1-eternaL1
adding info

This would bring me back to Warframe. I'm not even kidding, one of my biggest complaints is how restrictive melee feels and how I have to depend on whether the melee attack itself lunges me forward. 
If this actually gets put in the game, then WF will be good enough to play once again.

30 minutes ago, TheErebus. said:

This would bring me back to Warframe. I'm not even kidding, one of my biggest complaints is how restrictive melee feels and how I have to depend on whether the melee attack itself lunges me forward. 
If this actually gets put in the game, then WF will be good enough to play once again.

"restricting"? Are you talking about the directional key combos? What do you think if the camera got further from the player when you went full melee so you can see around better? (Optional ofc)

Edited by Kao-Snake
Combat Formation Bravo! ~ Never Forget

3 minutes ago, Kao-Snake said:

"restricting"? Are you talking about the directional key combos? What do you think if the camera got further from the player when you went full melee so you can see around better? (Optional ofc)

What I mean is how some combos move you forwards whilst others seemingly stop you where you are until the combo is finished. Of course I maybe BSing because I haven't played in a while but I do remember have some combos just make me not want to use them at all because of how they stopped my movement.

Like I said, I may be sorely mistaken. If I am then feel free to correct me.

7 minutes ago, TheErebus. said:

What I mean is how some combos move you forwards whilst others seemingly stop you where you are until the combo is finished. Of course I maybe BSing because I haven't played in a while but I do remember have some combos just make me not want to use them at all because of how they stopped my movement.

Like I said, I may be sorely mistaken. If I am then feel free to correct me.

No, there are some combos that, if you are not pushing foward or in any direction, will make you stop moving while the enemy is staggered back, making you miss. I think there is one is Swirling Tiger that does that, you jump up and slashes the area in front of you while airborne, you you are not forcing your character to move forward it will stand there.

Tranquil Cleave has that one where you stab forward many times and dont move from where you stand...

DE needs to take a second look at older stances and make them more mobile, even Gleaming Talon is freaking static in the first parts of its combo.

Edited by Kao-Snake
Combat Formation Bravo! ~ Never Forget

Clashing Forest

Forward combo: stops your movement dead.

Stationary combo: flings you forward. 

Crossing Snakes and some others:

Pause combo has 1 or more forced lunges, in combat on a narrow bridge, you accidentally pause combo because the pause timing it right in between e-spam and pausing the attack to have full movement speed while moving to the next target, and boom, you jump off the bridge. 

Most combos: do anything standing still and you are forced to move forward against your will, do the same thing while moving forward and it slows you down. Try to move to the side or reverse, you move forwards faster than standing still. 

Edited by KinetosImpetus

Last night I decided to level a unranked weapon, its a glaive weapon, I forget the name. I went into the mission with Rhino and started killing. at one point I was flying through the air aim gliding, bullet jumping into a mob flipping across the the field clinging to the wall and spinning into groups en masse. I'm not sure about this immobile part you're referring to. Rhino flies, everything dies. 

I'm not sure what you mean by " move with melee". Perhaps you could give a little more detail.

6 minutes ago, Babellon said:

Last night I decided to level a unranked weapon, its a glaive weapon, I forget the name. I went into the mission with Rhino and started killing. at one point I was flying through the air aim gliding, bullet jumping into a mob flipping across the the field clinging to the wall and spinning into groups en masse. I'm not sure about this immobile part you're referring to. Rhino flies, everything dies. 

I'm not sure what you mean by " move with melee". Perhaps you could give a little more detail.

Read the thread, several specific examples have been given. It's all about the combos, not parkour. 

1 minute ago, KinetosImpetus said:

Read the thread, several specific examples have been given. It's all about the combos, not parkour. 

Yea I went through the rest of the thread just now, Some of the combos get you stuck in the animation and its hard to stop that attack to switch to a different target or attack move while performing it. Caught that after I'd posted.

15 hours ago, -Ops1-eternaL1 said:

This may not be completely on-topic but I feel for newer players this is a big deal.

By default there is an option under gameplay turned ON, that causes the camera to lock towards nearest enemy when melee'ing.

If you turn that off, it will make your melee attacks much smoother, and allow much more free movement!

Oh!

Well. I guess I should look at the options menu a bit more.

When the devil did they change that...