The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player needs help

Simpleandy

Question

Hello guys, i just started out playing Waframe like 2-3 days ago and i already maxed my warframe, MK-Paris,Kunai and staff. I would some better gear but i don't know what is good for a new starting player.The market it's very confusing and untill i understand the game more i just need to know some good wepons for staring out.

16 answers to this question

Here's the main wiki page for the weapons in this game: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

To start off, you should change your mk1 gear to the non-mk1 gear as those come pre built for a small credit cost. They are a direct upgrade to your mk1 weapons and will help your performance against enemies.

After that, I'd recommend the boltor, as it deals great damage and shouldn't be xp locked for you. The grakata, karak, and strun are also nice primary weapons for a starter. For secondary weapons, I'd suggest the lato series, lex, the magnus, etc. If you're up for the challenge, you can collect 2x of some weapons and purchase a blueprint to obtain a dual wield version of that weapon. 

For melees, my personal recommendation would be the dual zorens asap(locked until rank 2 but get it when you reach that rank because the zorens are a beast). For your current rank, I'd tell you to go to the cronus first but if you don't want that the dual heat swords and the dual skanas are decent. The fist(sparring) weapons are also pretty good. Just check the wiki and look at the minimum rank required for a weapon to see if you have it unlocked. The market also shows where you can obtain those weapons(alerts, clans, events, market, etc) and their type(shotgun, bow, launcher, rifle, etc).

If you need any help collecting the resources for those weapons, ask me, I guess. IGN: Kungpaobeef

If you liked MK-Paris, you can upgrade to Paris or try Cernos.  Later, once you get marked by Stalker for killing bosses, you can get his bow Dread to drop which is viable until end game.  I personally would go with Braton, Boltor, or Karak since I'm not a bow person myself.  I don't know what's your Mastery Rank, but by 2 you have access to some melee like Atterax which is one of my favorites.  I also recommend Amphis because all the materials are easily found on lower planets. By MR 4, check out Ignis, Hex, Sobek, and Atomos.  MR5 has great weapons like Tonkor, Amprex, and Marelok.  I highly recommend Soma at MR6.  All these weapons I mentioned can easily carry you to the end of the star chart.  Most of these weapons I still use these days and even at very high level missions.  I don't know if you know, but you can buy many of the weapons' blueprints at the market and build them with resources you find at various planets.  I recommend you don't waste real money (plats) on most prebuild weapons and warframes.  Save the plats for weapon and warframe slots.

I also recommend you get to MR2 as soon as you can so you can trade with other players.  Maybe some kind souls can give you some essential mods (vitality, redirection, serration, hornet strike, and pressure point)  if you haven't found those already.  The broken ones you get from the tutorial are pretty bad so you want to find and level undamaged version as soon as you can.  Once you get around 100k credits, I highly recommend getting the blueprint for a Carrier sentinel.  It's a huge life of quality improvement because it vacuums up loots in the missions.  Just keep working through the star chart and level up your stuff to find what's your play style and find weapons and frames you like.

If you have more questions, I'll be happy to answer them. :)  Welcome to Warframe!

Welcome to Warframe! 

There have been some pretty great answers already posted, so I'll just add that Warframe is an awesome game that is terrible at explaining itself.  With that in mind, if you have a question or come across something else you don't understand, please don't be shy to ask...either here, ingame in region chat, in warframe player's twitch/youtube streams, etc. We don't bite...too hard...unless that's your thing. 

I'll also provide my new player tips here, so..incoming :D

1: when you started, you should have gotten 50 or so platinum. Don't spend it on cosmetic items (which are really most of what is available to you for 50p as a new player). Instead, hang on to it and buy warframe and weapon slots as you need them. 2 weapon slots is 12p, and 1 warframe slot is 20p.

2: don't play warframe as a single-player game. It's tempting when you start out, I know.  However, it's always more fun when you're not doing it by yourself, and it's really not designed to be fully soloable. Eventually, once you get a good mod collection and quality gear, it's technically possible to solo many things, but still not really advisable in most situations.  Look for a clan that matches your playtime, goals in the game, etc. here on the forums or in recruitment chat ingame. Not only do they provide an instant pool of easy-to-talk-to people who could become friends, you also get access to their dojo, where you can purchase blueprints for a lot of nice stuff (weapons, warframes, medium team restores, etc.) (you will have to build yourself a clan key to access your dojo, but that should be nbd).

3: is usually the "Warframe is an awesome game that is terrible at explaining itself, so don't be too shy to ask questions" that I mentioned above, so...I guess it is now, too. 

Annnd it's late and I'm tired and kinda want to play some more, so while there are usually more tips, I can't pull them to mind right now.  There are some pretty great new player guides here on the forums, and also some good video guides on youtube. You might check some of those out, see if they point you in a direction you want to go. And, because it's important, I'll say it again. Ask questions if you have them. Please.

o7 good hunting

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Rhino yet.

While somewhat frowned upon by more experienced players high MR snobs, it's one of the best all-around frames for beginners. It requires Mastery Rank 2, and if modded properly (and even potatoe'd (install an Orokin Reactor) he will serve you well trough pretty much entire Star Chart content. He's got excellent survivability thanks to Iron Skin that not only stops damage, but prevents any and all debuffs from landing on you, has decent damage/CC and even buff potential. A bit on the slow side when it comes to movement, but that can be mended by heavy use of bullet jumps. 

Edited by Reifnir

35 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

frowned upon by more experienced players high MR snobs,

I am a high MR snob, and I don’t frown on Rhino. He’s got some good stuff going for him.

The problem is that people who run Rhino early on think “Ironskin and chill” is a game-winning strat.

4 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

The problem is that people who run Rhino early on think “Ironskin and chill” is a game-winning strat.

You have to admit, it *does* work pretty well during the early levels (think unlocking the starchart). 

6 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

You have to admit, it *does* work pretty well during the early levels (think unlocking the starchart). 

Oh, I fully agree. It even scales a lot better than it used to. That doesn’t mean you're actually helping the team much… and it still won’t save you in high-tier stuff.

TBH, I think Iron Skin falls off as anything but CC repellent before level 100 Grineer… which is hardly “high level.”

Rhino is both a blessing and a curse for new players.  His Iron Skin makes going through the star chart much easier for new players, but they can pick up some really bad habits (face tanking, hallway heroing, not shooting cameras and traps, etc.) if they are not careful.  A good Rhino is a great team support frame, but a lot of people use him selfishly and don't bother to use his Roar or Stomp.  Too many people don't realize that Rhino's crowd control abilities are what's going to keep them alive at high levels.  Then again, frames like Excalibur, Valkyr, Loki, Ember, etc., are also abused that way so in the end it still depends on the player and how they want to play.

I would still recommend Rhino for new players.  He is very easily obtained, he can be used for most mission types, and his status immunity is quite useful for annoying planets like Eris and nightmare missions/alerts.

Well, it's not like new players have immediate access to ranked Corrupted and Nightmare mods, Exilus Adapters and Augments. And you don't build frames for endgame without them. It's the "getting there" part Rhino makes so much easier. Learning the "how" of Sorties, Raids and high wave count infinite missions is up to the player at the end of the day. 

10 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

Well, it's not like new players have immediate access to ranked Corrupted and Nightmare mods, Exilus Adapters and Augments. And you don't build frames for endgame without them. It's the "getting there" part Rhino makes so much easier. Learning the "how" of Sorties, Raids and high wave count infinite missions is up to the player at the end of the day. 

Yup, totally agree with you there.  This is why when new players ask for builds, I recommend using and leveling all the standard mods because they don't have easy access to Corrupted, Nightmare, and Augment mods.  

I'll chime in with my usual advice to new players.

1 - [url=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410097029] I wrote a player's guide that explains a lot for new players.  I promise that it's worth your time as a new player to understand all of Warframe's systems and gameplay features.

2 - Remember that 90% of the Things in this game are crappy, until you get a Catalyst on that weapon, or a reactor on that frame/sentinel/kubrow.  Most things only get to be mediocre without being "supercharged".  Supercharging and Forma are how you get that thing ready for "Epic Mods".  Farming those "epic mods" takes time, effort, or trading for platinum.

10 hours ago, InglriousB said:

As to my advice on second stage equipment, see this video over here

If you want me to clear things up or back up my choices or if you have any other questions, feel free to ask

I'll make two comments on your choices.  First, the tipedo is a terrible recommendation from the standpoint it requires both a kunai and a bo to craft.  At least warn people that if they go that direction they should consider the crafting requirements.  Rank those weapons to 30 first for mastery, etc.

In a similar vein, the atomos needs two argon crystals which means missions in the void.  Does your intended audience even have keys yet?  Or know what the void is? 

Like the tipedo the weapon itself is a good recommendation, but at least go into a little depth about the resources needed and maybe give some alternates that don't have these types of resource requirements that may block a new player.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

I'll make two comments on your choices.  First, the tipedo is a terrible recommendation from the standpoint it requires both a kunai and a bo to craft.  At least warn people that if they go that direction they should consider the crafting requirements.  Rank those weapons to 30 first for mastery, etc.

In a similar vein, the atomos needs two argon crystals which means missions in the void.  Does your intended audience even have keys yet?  Or know what the void is? 

Like the tipedo the weapon itself is a good recommendation, but at least go into a little depth about the resources needed and maybe give some alternates that don't have these types of resource requirements that may block a new player.

As to the requirements of the tipedo being tough, it's been chosen because it is a very good weapon, but also as the crafting will gain you experience as well. The goal isn't to get all the weapons at the same time, but give the player a goal to work towards to. Obtaining the Boltor is the easiest, then comes the atomos and finally the tipedo. It's this process why I've chosen for it. 

As to the atomos requiring argon, doing void missions on a budget isn't too hard. All you need is either a good clan or good friends or a bit of patience at the recruiting. 

Still, that said I have to admit that this is one of my older productions and is in need of a better rework. Hence that I don't just put it here without a word to it. 

Anyway, thanks for looking into it and sharing your opinion. That's always great to hear :)

1 minute ago, InglriousB said:

As to the requirements of the tipedo being tough, it's been chosen because it is a very good weapon, but also as the crafting will gain you experience as well. The goal isn't to get all the weapons at the same time, but give the player a goal to work towards to. Obtaining the Boltor is the easiest, then comes the atomos and finally the tipedo. It's this process why I've chosen for it. 

As to the atomos requiring argon, doing void missions on a budget isn't too hard. All you need is either a good clan or good friends or a bit of patience at the recruiting. 

Still, that said I have to admit that this is one of my older productions and is in need of a better rework. Hence that I don't just put it here without a word to it. 

Anyway, thanks for looking into it and sharing your opinion. That's always great to hear :)

Oh for sure, I wasn't knocking the weapons.  The fact that I'm MR21 with access to every weapon in the game and I still use both of these is a testament to how good they are.  A little detail on some of the crafting points though would be extremely helpful to the MR2's of the world.  A road map to actually building them maybe.