The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best staff/polearm for a melee only build?

Sir_Alex_Traffo

Question

I'm trying to find out which is the most effective at high levels between all the staff/pomearm weapons; I'm planning to use it on a frame which will run with melee equipped so I wanted a multi hitting weapon with the highest damage possible and a good attack speed.

Consider that I would need something able to deal decent damage on Sortie or similar level missions.

What would you suggest?

Just now, siralextraffo said:

But but but.............I slide so rarely that I'm afraid I would waste the core potential of your build! I'm afraid I need to adapt it to a more mashing E playestyle, unless for that something like Tipedo would be better...

You need maiming for crits, and for berserker. Just go slide some dudes, get 75% berserker bonus and go full ham with e then. No problem.

10 hours ago, IceColdHawk said:

Are you kidding me? Tipedo is WAY weaker than Lesion. I actually played both things. I know what i'm talking about.

And no you cant melt a lvl 95 gunner in 2 seconds with tipedo. Stop exaggerating there, it's not even possible with a dragon nikana.

But melting a lvl 135 napalm in ~10 seconds. That was a true thing that i actually have tested with lesion. And what about the new amazing mods? I've even included them in the lesion since blood rush + maiming strike works just too good. The thing is, every melee weapon got made stronger because of those mods. While tipedo surely is better than before, it is still worse than other "mash e" crit weapons.

Tipedo may be weaker than lesion- I would not be able to confirm as I don't have enough experience with Lesion yet. That being said- I never claimed it was stronger than Lesion- I just said it's not weak like you are saying.

You can, and I have. Just because you have not personally done it doesn't mean it is not possible. I'm sorry if you can't figure out a build to do something like this- but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist so get off your high horse and thinking you know everything.

Again- never said that was not possible, if you've done it then clearly it is. I never did so much as say Lesion is not great- I simply said that Tipedo is not as bad as you said, and brought up that you are showing an unorthodox build with a weapon yet slamming another weapon that is great when using the right build.

Alright i just did some testing with "MASHING E" only. So i did not even account the extreme high sliding potential of the lesion. For the testing i picked dual kamas prime and lesion. Why dual kamas prime? Well i don't have the tipedo anymore since i sacrificed it for lesion (and i regret nothing). Dual kamas prime has 5% less crit but also 20 more base damage.

Testings were held against 10 lvl 135 Corrupted Ancients and Corrupted Bombards. 

Lesion Build: Pressure Point, Berserker, Maiming Strike, Organ Shatter, Primed Reach, Blood Rush, Shocking Touch, Virulent Scourge.

Why maiming strike if i don't slide? Simply because it's THE build for lesion. But there you can see i could also get more damage out of it when replacing it with a +90% elemental.

Dual Kamas Prime Build: Pressure Point, Berserker, Blood Rush, Body Count, Organ Shatter, Shocking Touch, Voltaic Strike, Virulent Scourge.

Let's just pretend it's a buffed tipedo with less range. Why no primed reach? Got no forma and couldn't bother formaing it. So instead, i got even MORE damage and MORE status.

And lesion simply won. It made the enemies disappear WAY faster than dual kamas prime. Why you ask? Simply because lesion receives a +100% toxin damage buff upon a proc and because of it's already high base damage. Oh and did i mention the high status chance? Also awesome to make the grineer naked when using corrosive (what you should use against grineer anyway).

I also tested nikana prime vs lesion. But nikana prime with primed reach instead of another 60/60 mod. Against corrupted ancient both were almost the same. Think the nikana prime was a bit faster due to faster berserker procing. When lesion is already berserker pumped, it will look different...And i tested them against a lvl 135 corrupted heavy gunner too. The lesion made the "powercreep" nikana prime look very very old.

Not to forget that those crit melees when using body count are getting forced to melee only or they will lose their combo counter. And reaching CONSTANT red crits with a 20% crit chance melee is a far way to go.

21 hours ago, siralextraffo said:

I'm trying to find out which is the most effective at high levels between all the staff/pomearm weapons

Lesion. Definitely!!!

19 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

But that's wrong.

I don't think so.

6 hours ago, PUR3K1LL3R said:

#LesionMasterRace

:thumbup: 

Edited by IceColdHawk

14 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

Alright i just did some testing with "MASHING E" only. So i did not even account the extreme high sliding potential of the lesion. For the testing i picked dual kamas prime and lesion. Why dual kamas prime? Well i don't have the tipedo anymore since i sacrificed it for lesion (and i regret nothing). Dual kamas prime has 5% less crit but also 20 more base damage.

Testings were held against 10 lvl 135 Corrupted Ancients and Corrupted Bombards. 

Lesion Build: Pressure Point, Berserker, Maiming Strike, Organ Shatter, Primed Reach, Blood Rush, Shocking Touch, Virulent Scourge.

Why maiming strike if i don't slide? Simply because it's THE build for lesion. But there you can see i could also get more damage out of it when replacing it with a +90% elemental.

Dual Kamas Prime Build: Pressure Point, Berserker, Blood Rush, Body Count, Organ Shatter, Shocking Touch, Voltaic Strike, Virulent Scourge.

Let's just pretend it's a buffed tipedo with less range. Why no primed reach? Got no forma and couldn't bother formaing it. So instead, i got even MORE damage and MORE status.

And lesion simply won. It made the enemies disappear WAY faster than dual kamas prime. Why you ask? Simply because lesion receives a +100% toxin damage buff upon a proc and because of it's already high base damage. Oh and did i mention the high status chance? Also awesome to make the grineer naked when using corrosive (what you should use against grineer anyway).

I also tested nikana prime vs lesion. But nikana prime with primed reach instead of another 60/60 mod. Against corrupted ancient both were almost the same. Think the nikana prime was a bit faster due to faster berserker procing. When lesion is already berserker pumped, it will look different...And i tested them against a lvl 135 corrupted heavy gunner too. The lesion made the "powercreep" nikana prime look very very old.

Not to forget that those crit melees when using body count are getting forced to melee only or they will lose their combo counter. And reaching CONSTANT red crits with a 20% crit chance melee is a far way to go.

I tried yesterday the Lesion, with Maiming Strike; I was using a couple of slide attacks to both reach groups and activate Berserker, then I was mashing E and reapplying Berserker now and then: I found myself sliding quite often, as I didn't need to take care of Berserker duration, it was simply always up.

Though, I don't get why I should go with Blood Rush, especially since I don't have Body Count: to get a red crit on a slide attack I could just use True Steel? 

10 minutes ago, siralextraffo said:

I tried yesterday the Lesion, with Maiming Strike; I was using a couple of slide attacks to both reach groups and activate Berserker, then I was mashing E and reapplying Berserker now and then: I found myself sliding quite often, as I didn't need to take care of Berserker duration, it was simply always up.

Though, I don't get why I should go with Blood Rush, especially since I don't have Body Count: to get a red crit on a slide attack I could just use True Steel? 

Nope. Because blood rush scales with maiming strike. So it calculates like your lesion has got 95% base crit instead of 5%. True steel doesn't.

1 minute ago, IceColdHawk said:

Nope. Because blood rush scales with maiming strike. So it calculates like your lesion has got 95% base crit instead of 5%. True steel doesn't.

Get it, but since you don't have Body Count you mainly use Blood Rush to get some red crits while sliding when you have a counter past 1.5, right? 

Since I found myself using Maiming Strike mainly to activate Berserker(which coupled with Lesion passive it's insane!!!!!), maybe I could leave Blood Rush out?

2 minutes ago, siralextraffo said:

Get it, but since you don't have Body Count you mainly use Blood Rush to get some red crits while sliding when you have a counter past 1.5, right? 

Since I found myself using Maiming Strike mainly to activate Berserker(which coupled with Lesion passive it's insane!!!!!), maybe I could leave Blood Rush out?

Yes. But when you encounter lots of enemies, you can enjoy 2x too. I would not get rid of blood rush. The red crits are just too nice to let them out.