The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I want to upgrade pc. to 64bit. Can I keep my Warframe files? Possibly?

Fx3er

Question

Hey guys,

I really need your help. I want to upgrade to 64bit on my pc but I also want to keep my Warframe game-files. Is it possible to do this? I don't want to have to download it again. Help!

20 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Fx3er said:

I downloaded the game via. Steam and I click the Warframe icon so I think it's from STEAM. Can you help me then???

You can use Steam Backup or copy the folder C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps (or wherever you put Steam) to another drive. Install 64-bit OS (do not remove or format the partition/drive you copied your stuff to), then if you used Steam Backup, use that to restore your games, or if you manually copied SteamApps, install Steam and then close it. Then copy the SteamApps folder you previously copied over the one in your newly installed steam folder. Open steam, and all your games will be there, ready to launch. Steam update and the Warframe launcher should sort things out for you after that.

Edited by Tzolkat
Minor clarification

Yea should be very possible.

In the launcher if you change from 32 to 64 you will see that it does a small patch and is then good to go.

*in fact you should be able to keep all of your Steam files if you save the directory. again they might do some minor patching and you will have to re-validate the files but works.

Edited by The66Monkey

2 minutes ago, Fx3er said:

Do you know where the game-files are located on your PC as well as the launcher? Have you gone through this? Can you please explain more please? I really need to know b/c. I want to upgrade to 64bit on my pc but keep everything (the game)?

1 minute ago, Fx3er said:

Do you know where the game-files are located at as well as the launcher?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

without the x86 ofc (but that will be the location in your new x64 system), and a little different depending on OS. I have reinstalled windows and saved my files on a backup to save from having to download everything again.

15 minutes ago, Fx3er said:

Hey guys,

I really need your help. I want to upgrade to 64bit on my pc but I also want to keep my Warframe game-files. Is it possible to do this? I don't want to have to download it again. Help!

You can keep all your games by simply backing up your entire steam folder, then copying it back to your PC after the upgrades.  I won't go into the details as you can easily find a nice guide on how to move/copy/backup your steam folder by googling it.

For Warframe it'll work great, but some of your other games may have save files elsewhere, etc.

Edited by sushidubya

probably keyboard and gear will become default but evrything will stay the same if u upgrade the OS if u make a clean format u lose all stuff and have too download again
u can also make a second partiton but dont garanty that the game still works

1 minute ago, Fx3er said:

You run the game via steam or standalone?

Because I run via steam and I think the standalone versions files are located somewhere else.

Someone who runs the standalone version may help :D

Just now, Fx3er said:

Thank you. Now here's another question:

You know how when you do a custom installation of Windows but of 64 bit version and it makes Windows.Old would that work? After installing windows (upgrade) then dragging Warframe files out of the steam folder, installing steam and launching the launcher - would it recognize the files?

Yes, i see no reason why that would not work. Why are you using a 32 bit version anyways if your processor can handle 64 bit?
If you are upgrading from old windows version to Windows 10 and it is giving you a 64 bit version then it is no problem but i just want to make sure that you are just not trying to push a 64x system on a computer that can't handle it.

1 minute ago, Tzolkat said:

You can use steam backup or copy the folder C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps (or wherever you put Steam) to another drive. Install 64-bit OS (do not remove or format the partition you copied your stuff to), then if you used steam backup, use that to restore your games, or if you manually copied SteamApps, install Steam and then close it. Then copy the SteamApps folder you previously copied over the one in your newly installed steam folder. Open steam, and all your games will be there, ready to launch. Steam update and the Warframe launcher should sort things out for you after that.

didn't even know that Steam had that feature, always done it the old fashion way. sounds cool.

12 minutes ago, Tzolkat said:

You can use Steam Backup or copy the folder C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps (or wherever you put Steam) to another drive. Install 64-bit OS (do not remove or format the partition/drive you copied your stuff to), then if you used Steam Backup, use that to restore your games, or if you manually copied SteamApps, install Steam and then close it. Then copy the SteamApps folder you previously copied over the one in your newly installed steam folder. Open steam, and all your games will be there, ready to launch. Steam update and the Warframe launcher should sort things out for you after that.

Are you sure that it works with steam backup ? Because my friend lost his warframe files using that last time

1 minute ago, The66Monkey said:

Yea should be very possible.

In the launcher if you change from 32 to 64 you will see that it does a small patch and is then good to go.

Do you know where the game-files are located on your PC as well as the launcher? Have you gone through this? Can you please explain more please? I really need to know b/c. I want to upgrade to 64bit on my pc but keep everything (the game)?

1 minute ago, PUR3K1LL3R said:

I dunno if it'll change your files in anyway, upgrading to 64bit, but you could keep your files on a external drive just in case :P

Just now, PUR3K1LL3R said:

You run the game via steam or standalone?

Because I run via steam and I think the standalone versions files are located somewhere else.

Someone who runs the standalone version may help :D

I downloaded the game via. Steam and I click the Warframe icon so I think it's from STEAM. Can you help me then???

3 minutes ago, The66Monkey said:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

without the x86 ofc (but that will be the location in your new x64 system), and a little different depending on OS. I have reinstalled windows and saved my files on a backup to save from having to download everything again.

Thank you. Now here's another question:

You know how when you do a custom installation of Windows but of 64 bit version and it makes Windows.Old would that work? After installing windows (upgrade) then dragging Warframe files out of the steam folder, installing steam and launching the launcher - would it recognize the files?

2 minutes ago, The66Monkey said:

Yes, i see no reason why that would not work. Why are you using a 32 bit version anyways if your processor can handle 64 bit?
If you are upgrading from old windows version to Windows 10 and it is giving you a 64 bit version then it is no problem but i just want to make sure that you are just not trying to push a 64x system on a computer that can't handle it.

I am using the new skylake processor: i3 6100. The only reason why I chose 32 bit is because it used less space. Does my processor support 64bit, what do you think?

29 minutes ago, clemza said:

Are you sure that it works with steam backup ? Because my friend lost his warframe files using that last time

I'm not sure. If Steam only considers the launcher as the game, then it might not save the download cache. That would seem odd to me though, as Steam now downloads a copy of the game files along with the launcher. It's something to test before relying on it, to be sure. Most reliable method is still a manual backup of SteamApps.

Just want to point out upgrading to 64-bit OS allows you to run both, 32 and 64, bit programs and use more than 4gb of ram if you have more than 4gb. There is no performance differences between 32 and 64 bit of the same program unless the 32 bit program hits its ram cap. In warframe's case, it rarely hits 2gb.