Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon questions and build

Kilamity

Question

Hello everyone!

So I recently got my Oberon Systems and currently building oberon. From what I've read, Oberon is a paladin-type warframe...which is one my favorite classes in many mmorpgs. Although many, many people say that Oberon is severely underpowered, I still want to stick with it. (And I know there are fans of this wf too). So two things: For you oberon mains, how well do you do in mid-high level missions and two, what is your build? Ty! 

4 answers to this question

Oberon is... an odd frame. I'm not sure what you're expecting to see with a "paladin" frame, so let me describe him

Oberon is a frame with lots of health but almost no survivability boosting attributes in higher-level combat. Most of his abilities deal pure radiation damage, which is decent against Grineer but falls off sharply against Infested (including Void Ancients)

His 1 is not bad by the standards of 1 powers. He throws a ball of radiation that splits after hitting an enemy so it can hit multiple enemies. The first enemy it hits will be knocked over, and if you're lucky it will make enemies attack each other for 6 seconds

His 2 creates a rectangle on the ground that gives all teammates immunity to status effects and boosts their armor rating. The armor boost sucks and the rectangle is pretty small compared to other frame powers like Frost's 3

His 3 heals yourself and all teammates. Problem: not only is the casting animation 2.5 seconds long, but the healing isn't instant like Trinity's 4. The healing orbs have travel time, after which they replenish health at about 50 per second

His 4 grabs a bunch of enemies, knocks them over, damages them with Radiation damage, blinds the survivors, and turns the enemies it kills into health orbs. Compared to stuff like Radial Javelin or Avalanche, the damage kinda sucks, and if you really need health your 3 will be faster. You'll really only use this power for the blinding/stunning ability, and for 100 energy this ability is really overcosted

Oberon isn't unworkably godawful, but he doesn't bring anything to the team that other frames can't do better

Edited by TARINunit9

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Oberon isn't unworkably godawful, but he doesn't bring anything to the team that other frames can't do better

This statement encapsulates "The Oberon Problem" very well.  

If Trinity is "the healer", then Oberon's healing has to be less awesome.  Trinity's healing isn't really that amazing any more.  Regardless, if you want to be the healer, Oberon is the wrong frame.

Oberon brings more slightly more health than Excalibur at the cost of less armor.  I'd say they are equivalent in how tanky they are, falling behind the ever popular Rhino and Valkyr.  If you want to tank, Oberon is the wrong frame.

His ultimate is a flat-rate damage power.  Like all flat rate damage powers, it runs out of gas against high level enemies.  I haven't ran him in forever, but killing level 50s is gonna be tough.  If you want to murder with your powers, Oberon is the wrong frame.

Crowd control is a nice effect of his ultimate. Unfortunately, if you launch it at a crowd, I've seen a lot of my enemies get "missed" by his 4th power.  With that being the case, his stun is mediocre and his crowd control is outclassed by Banshee, Vauban, and Excalibur's Blind.  Mirage can stun just as well as long as you don't want to play Warframe, and can enjoy "monitor the disco ball for optimal detonation".  In some scenarios, Hydroid's puddle makes some rather fantastic crowd control.  So if you want Crowd Control, Oberon is the wrong frame.

Oberon has a usable niche though, I've used his 4th to kill enemies that were stuck inside of level geometry on Orokin Derelict Defense missions way back in the day when ODD was how you farmed ALL THE AFFINITY.  Enemies had a habit of spawning inside of walls, pillars, and floors, so your killing options were limited to Vauban's Tesla, Oberon's Reckoning, and once in a while you could get lucky with a Radial Javelin.

I got Oberon right after his release, and started enjoying him immediately.  However, it was only a short time before I noticed his 4th power skipped enemies, so if I was surrounded, it left armed opponents nearby far too often for my comfort.  In short order, I was back to good old reliable Radial Blind to stop my opponents which worked for much less of an energy cost.

My advice is to go with a fairly generic build.  Max Continuity/Streamline/Intensify/Constitution to get your duration has high as possible, add in a high Redirection/Vitality, and a 20-40% Fleeting Expertise according to your taste.  The duration helps that stun effect last a bit longer, and stretch makes your Hallowed Ground more effective.

Edited by EvilKam