Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

HIGH CPU USAGE 80+%... HELP PLEASE!

Slamyourjam

Question

Can someone please explain this? I'm finding it hard to believe that Warframe is almost maxing out my CPU! It wasn't like this before update 18.5. It constantly uses more than 50% of my CPU and that's not even in a mission (the image I posted is in the ship after logging in)... This high CPU usage leads to crazy amounts of stuttering because it keeps peaking to around 90% most of the time! What can I do to fix this!? It isn't normal for my PC to be using that much...

CPU is AMD FX 8120 4GHZ

http://imgur.com/itUmY7x

Edited by Slamyourjam

19 answers to this question

Just now, IceColdHawk said:

18.5 unfortunately roasted most pc's. I'm also currently forced to play with everything toned down.

Maybe you can try in the launcher to turn off the 64 bit mode. It helped me a lot.

I'll try that. Not even Battlefield 4, GTA 5 etc pushes my CPU as hard as this game, like what!?

3 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

That's extremely wierd. In fact, I noticed my performance and CPU usage going up and down, respectively. I saw a general 5-8 fps increase on average.

Yea so did I... At the beginning. Ever since they "patched" the performance because other people were complaining, my performance been screwed up ever since that and went from getting 60fps and rarely stuttering to OMG Warframe slideshow 20-30fps and I think that's directly linked to how much CPU its using. I mean its like 95% right now and I haven't even logged in yet... :(

Edited by Slamyourjam

2 minutes ago, Slamyourjam said:

Yea so did... At the beginning. Ever since they "patched" the performance because other people were complaining, my performance been screwed up ever since that and went from getting 60fps and rarely stuttering to OMG Warframe slideshow 20-30fps and I think that's directly linked to how much CPU its using. I mean its like 95% right now and I haven't even logged in yet... :(

Lemme login and check again. I'll report back in a sec....

Edit: Just checked. So I think I see the problem. It does drain tons of CPU.... when it's loading and whatnot. However, the moment I logged in, it dropped from 98 all the way down to a meager 25%. And I'm getting around 50-60 fps. What kind of computer are you using.

Edited by PrVonTuckIII

Aside from the fact that it could be an engine bug, remember you are a running an FX-8120, a chip that is terrible at single threaded applications and that tends to run really hot. (I've had one for 3 years, so happy when I dumped it).

I also think the Bulldozer architecture is to blame here, as my FX used to give me huge FPS drops back in the day as well.

Edited by Darkwave1098
Grammar.

When loading, your CPU usage goes up, that's natural. But when in game, it should be lower than when loading.

Download this: https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ and get a more accurate reading on your temp/load, because the windows 10 stuff is wack... always says i'm at 100% hard drive or something.

Either upgrade your fans, or lower your settings.

47 minutes ago, Darkwave1098 said:

Aside from the fact that it could be an engine bug, remember you are a running an FX-8120, a chip that is terrible at single threaded applications and that tends to run really hot. (I've had one for 3 years, so happy when I dumped it).

I also think the Bulldozer architecture is to blame here, as my FX used to give me huge FPS drops back in the day as well.

Like I said I run games like Battlefield 4 and GTA 5 just fine and those two are known to hog the CPU. As for the temps, I just cleaned it out about an hour ago and its got a H60 cooler attached to it so no problems there. I know its not a great CPU for gaming but it never has this high usage with games.

30 minutes ago, Epicagemo said:

When loading, your CPU usage goes up, that's natural. But when in game, it should be lower than when loading.

Download this: https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ and get a more accurate reading on your temp/load, because the windows 10 stuff is wack... always says i'm at 100% hard drive or something.

Either upgrade your fans, or lower your settings.

My temperatures are fine though. They don't even hit 50 when running Warframe, I checked with HW Monitor. :l Yea I got Windows 10... That could be the cause of it, It runs so much worse than 8.1 did, makes me regret upgrading...

I'm on Win10 and get fine performance (other than loading, which as stated, is to be expected).

Give us details.  What CPU, what GPU, what driver versions, Steam or non-Steam install, try deleting Warframe's settings folder in appdata, etc.

Edited by Rydian