Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] - Hecate, The Mother of Night - Crowd Control Type

(PSN)RaivynLyken

Name: Hecate, The Mother of Night

Type: Witch Type (Utilizes Toxin Damage) | Support with Crowd Control

Lotus Introduction to Hecate, The Mother of Night:
Tenno, the New Loka has informed me of some dire news. During their last incursion on a Grineer ship, they found remnants of information that Tyl Regor has discovered one of our long lost frames by the name of Hecate. She is powerful, Tenno, she utilizes day and night to empower herself. If she is dead, her frame still yields her power even though her Tenno has since passed. I can not stress the importance that we do not let Tyl Regor get his hands on a frame like hers. Obtain her frame, harness its powers, and attempt to stop Tyl Regor from possessing it at all costs. Be safe, Tenno. The night is not as welcoming as you may think.

Theme/Element(s):
Unlike other Warframes, Hecate has been lost in the depths of space due to being on the run from Hun How. Due to this the frame has become acquainted with the use of shadows to its advantage. With Hecate's original user having been lost to space due to her fleeing from the Orokin and the Sentients.

Design Idea/Reasonings:
Unlike her brother and sister Warframes, Hecate has been hidden since the end of humanities Golden Age. Due to her having fled to the deepest reaches of the solar system, Hecate lost the capability of having little to any light around her. In turn, much like Warframes that have adapted to their habitats, Hecate adapted to the darkness, learning to weave it, and use it to much of her ability. However, her doing this made her weak and frail when she finally began to emerge from the darkness.

Now after many years, Hecate has been located by the Lotus and has become available for being unlockable. Due to her weakened state, Hecate does have a passive, which makes her a bit more interesting than the others, as her play-style would require players to find an extensive use for her by playing around with the maps she’s introduced to. This insinuating the idea that her abilities will favor her play style in order for her to be used in heavily lit maps. Unlike frames such as Equinox, which utilizes two sets of abilities, Hecate utilizes one, and does find herself reliant on heavy teamwork to survive and be useful.

Build Requirements:

• Helmet: 15,000 Credits | 2 Nitain Extractors | 1,250 Alloy | 3,000 Salvage | 2 Neural Sensors
  • Systems: 15,000 Credits | 1 Orokin Cells | 8 Moonlight Treshcones | 1,200 Rubedo
  • Chasis: 15,00- Credits | 1,500 Salvage  | 8 Moonlight Treshcones | 2,000 Plastids

Stats (brackets indicate the value at Rank 30):

• Health: 75 (150)
  • Shield: 100 (200)
  • Armour: 100 (100)
  • Power: 200 (325)
  • Energy: 300 (450)
  • Sprint Speed: 1.0 (1.0)

Polarity Slots: Hecate comes with dual Madurai polarity slots upon creation. 

Passive: With many of the newest Warframes having passives, I assume it would be interesting to see one that actually has a passive that’s a buff/debuff situation.

The Mother of Night:

• Upon using her ability Nightshade,  Hecate begins to transition to her "Moonlit" phase that allows her to unleash her true power. During this state her Until Dawn calls upon two of her "Sisters" and unleashes a AoE variant of Nightshade that deals Slashing Damage to all enemies within Nightshade's scaled ranges. 
  • In turn while she is "Moonlit" she gains more damage, but at increased energy costs.
  • Moonlit lasts 30 seconds after the first ability is cast when she hits this state and increases ability casting costs by 5 energy.

Abilities - Ability costs in parenthesis emphasis her “Mother of Night” debuff: 

1. Nightshade (Takes form of a Shadowy Rose | Direct Targeting Only): 

• Standard cast ability. Costs 25 (30) Energy
  • When Hecate is not Moonlit, Nightshade deals an immediate "explosive" toxin damage to a single target. 
  • When Moonlit the ability turns into a dot that spreads to nearby enemies upon death. Range goes 10/15/20/25 from the corpse of the dotted enemy.
  • Element Type: Toxin
  • Scaling: Damage - 4 / 10 / 14 / 20 | Range: 30/40/50/60 - Single Target Only

2. Maiden’s Kiss:

• Standard cast ability. Costs 50 (55) Energy
  • Hecate grabs an enemy and taints them with her control over darkness. Doing so causes enemies to become living bombs that detonate upon death.
  • This ability affects targets for 10 seconds.
  • When Moonlit the death detonation allows for Nightshade to spread to nearby enemies while dealing toxin damage.
  • Scaling: Damage (% of Ability Power) - 10/20/30/40 | Range: 8/10/12/15

3. Night’s Embrace:

• Standard cast ability. Costs 75 (80) Energy
  • During Day missions, Night’s Embrace envelopes enemies into a temporarily stunned state. In this state enemies will take increased damage of 20% while providing all nearby enemies with slowed movement speed. Target acts as an anchor temporarily.
  • Scaling: Duration: 3/10/17/24 |  Enemies Slowed Range: 8/10/12/15

4.Until Dawn:

• Ability is Toggled: Costs 100 (105) Energy - After Initial Cast: 10 EPS (Energy Per Second)
  • Until Dawn allows for Hecate to reveal herself as "The Mother of Night". In this form she has a crescent moon that illuminates the floor beneath her. 
  • This ability allows her to gain her Mother of Night buff instantly, however, Until Dawn does not gain the buff's proc if used before it's available. 
  • All abilities gain her Moonlit buff.
  • If Moonlit while casting, Until Dawn has a 10 second cool down.

Syndicate Mod Cards:

Eternal Night - Until Dawn - Red Veil
Hecate will now permanently summon her two sisters to her side when casting this ability. Doing so gives all abilities their Moonlit buff while used. However, in turn all her abilities now cost 15 more energy instead of the initial 5.

Shroud of Darkness - Night's Embrace Mod - Red Veil

Increases the range of Hecates anchor's from the primary target, but in turn removes the stun effect and allows the primary target to move with nearby enemies. This target suffers 20% movement speed penalties along with other slowed targets.

Poison Tipped Blade - Nightshade Mod - Red Veil

Losing the appearance of a rose, Hecate now poisons her primary melee weapon to allow close range combat against her targets. Nightshade, however, does not gain its bonus from "Illumination" and allows for Hecate to use Nightshade as a poison coated damage over time against enemies.

Moonlit Kiss - Maiden's Kiss Mod - Red Veil

Having mastered the use of Nightshade's poison, Hecate now applies the Nightshade's night time effect to multiple targets without having used it, but only once per group and targets can not be afflicted by Kiss of Death until the original damage overtime has worn off.

Spoiler

Nightshade’s Petal - Nightshade Mod - Steel Meridian
Hecate has forgone the use of a single Nightshade and has adapted to turning petals into lethal weapons. She now throws petals into an area, hitting all enemies for 75 damage over time regardless of day or night transitions.

Solar Eclipse - Until Dawn - Steel Meridian

Hecate has mastered the ability to transition between day and night. This mod allows her gain the damage buff from being Illuminated and the effects of being Moonlit to her ability Nightshade. All abilities have 20% Energy Cost Reduction.

Moonlit Grasp - Maiden's Kiss Mod - Steel Meridian

Targets afflicted by Maiden's Kiss now find themselves in a bewildered state and now join Hecate in the fight allowing her to have servants, up to 3, for 45 seconds. During this time any enemies damage by her servants suffer 20% movement speed penalties.

Moonlit - Night's Embrace Mod - Steel Meridian

Night's Embrace now allows for Hecate to drain health from her target, but in turn, they can no longer act as a living bomb. These targets also are now immune to Hecate's Maiden Kiss for the duration of Night's Embrace. Damaging these targets will remove Night's Embrace.

Darkness Seeps - Night’s Embrace Mod - Cephalon Suda
Victims of Night’s Embrace now randomly deal off an AoE cloud damaging all enemies that is anchored to them. Can’t affect more than one target at a time.

Witch's Brew - Nightshade Mod - Cephalon Suda

Hecate has mastered her use of Nightshade. She can now place a cauldron upon the ground, which emits a cloud from it. Targets that enter this cloud are now tainted by Nightshade's Effect as a consistent tick while in it. During Night mission's, target's will be effected by the abilities duration scaling as damage over time.

Poisonous Spirits - Until Dawn Mod - Cephalon Suda

Instead of summon her sisters when Moonlit, Hecate now summons the spirits of the dead. These spirits seek out nearby enemies and taint them with a coating of Nightshade.

Divine Moonlight - Until Dawn Mod - New Loka

Hecate enters a divine state where she reflects light to all nearby enemies. Enemies nearby her during her while she's Moonlit are now tainted with Maiden's Kiss and will anchor all nearby enemies. During this time enemies will also attack each other in their disoriented state.

Bloodied Petals - Nightshade Mod - New Loka

Veering away from the use of poisonous flowers, Hecate has learned to turn the petals of her Nightshade's into lethal cutting blades. She now inflicts enemies with bleeding damage during both Illumination and Moonlit. The bleed damage can be spread through Maiden's Kiss.

Deep Embrace - Night's Embrace Mod - New Loka

Target's that have succumbed to Night's Embrace now find themselves seduced by Hecate and will follow her into combat willingly where they will fight against their own kind and can take damage from both players and non-players. These targets afflicted by Night's Embrace can be afflicted by Nightshade in order to spread instant or damage over time effects upon death. 

Kiss of Death - Maiden’s Kiss Mod - New Loka
Enemies affected by Maiden’s Kiss now find themselves permanently cursed by Hecate. In turn the ability will remain active until the enemy dies.

Toxic Touch - Nightshade Mod - Arbiter's of Hexis

Nightshade now becomes a set of small moon shaped aura's that float around Hecate's head. Hecate can dispatch individual orbs that do 50% of the abilities base damage as Toxin damage. This damage applies a dot that lasts 10 seconds per target. Ten of these orbs float around her for 60 seconds.

• The rotation goes above her head as moon's to reflect the Moon Goddess that inspired her design.

Intoxicating Reflection - Until Dawn Mod - Arbiter's of Hexis

Hecate becomes the embodiment of the Moon. Doing so allows her to become dangerous bright to enemies while to players she gains a reflective appearance. During this she applies slows to all nearby enemies while decreasing their attack speed and increasing damage taken. She loses her Moonlit buff for Until Dawn using this mod.

• Enemies must be within the range of 40 of her.
  • Damage increase is upped by 25%

Waning Moon's - Maiden's Kiss Mod - Arbiter's of Hexis

Enemies affected by Maiden's Kiss become encircled by floating moon's that are tainted with Nightshade. These moons will attack near by enemies. Enemies attacked by them take Toxin damage for 10 sec. at 20% of Hecate's Ability Power.

• The effect comes with 5 charges totalling at 100% of her ability power between multiple enemies or a single target.
  • The moon's attack once every 3 seconds.

Bloodied Embrace - Night's Embrace Mod - Arbiter's of Hexis Mod

Night's Embrace now becomes a damage ability that leaves the stunned target bleeding for 15% of the targets health as slash damage. The enemy can still slow near by enemies as they pass by it, the effect will move to one target upon death allowing for the new target to become the anchor for the slowing debuff.

Forlorn Touch - Night's Embrace Mod - Perrin Sequence

Enemies affected by Night's Embrace now spread the debuff to near by enemies as not just a slow, but also a disarm. The slow debuff now no longer anchor's the primary target allowing this to spread to near by troops for the duration of the ability.

Bloody Kisses - Maiden's Kiss Mod - Perrin Sequence

Enemies affected by Maiden's Kiss now allow for Hecate to draw health from her targets. She drains up to a maximum of 10% of her total ability power per second.

Ray of Light - Until Dawn Mod - Perrin Sequence

Total Eclipse now buffs near by allies with 0.6 health regeneration per second when near Hecate.

Restorative Salve - Nightshade Mod - Perrin Sequence

Hecate now regenerates 10% of her total energy when an enemy affected by Nightshade dies. Adversely, Nightshade can only affect up to three targets at a time.

Quest:

“We now know where Hecate has been hidden. She lies within the outer reaches of the solar system heavily guarded by Grineer troops. The New Loka has been asked to assist you on this mission. Tenno, if Hecate is still alive, we must get to her, and wake her up from her sleep. It’s too dangerous for her to be left unchecked with them looking for her. Obtain her Warframe at all costs if you must. Be safe, Tenno.” - The Lotus

Spoiler

Upon entering the mission the New Loka will give Tenno their mission information.

I can’t tell you Tenno how extremely important it is that Tyl Regor does not get his hands on Hecate’s Warfame. What records we do have of her insists that she is an extremely volatile warframe that can manipulate day and night into her favor. If he gets his hands on a Warframe this powerful, we can only imagine what he may use it for. He must be stopped or she must be. Whatever comes first.” - Aurora Unai, New Loka

To start the chain, players must once more return to earth. During the mission Lua, players must wait till the item “Night Mother’s Memories” is dug up. Here they will find a memory device containing one of Hecate’s last known recordings before Hun How had the Tenno hunted for execution. The recording will give players coordinates to Mercury’s mission Caloris, where they must capture one of Tyl Regor’s researchers in order to find out what Tyl Regor know’s about the location of Hecate.

"Tenno, we have interrogated Tyl Regor's researches. They have possibly found her location on Mercury. I can not stress the importance of your next mission. You must head to her last known location and find out what Tyl Regor's men know. He's getting close to uncovering her whereabouts. If he has found her, we could find ourselves in grave danger. I can't stress once more how quickly we must bring this chase to an end. We will contact the Lotus and inform her we are sending you to Mercury to spy on Tyl Regor's progress. In the meantime we have a recording that the researched obtained of Hecate. It gives us a weak idea of where she might be at." - Aurora Unai, New Loka

The mission will trigger an event that allows players to hear a recording of Hecate.

I’ve had to flee from the warmth of day. I’ve been chased constantly throughout the past few nights from any safety I find. I fear I may have to flee further into space from Mercury. I’m no longer safe here. I’m unsure how safe I’ll even be in the darkest reaches of space where it’s eternal night. For now I'll remain hidden the best I can, but I am sure they will find me here. If they do, I must once more flee deeper into space, past where the light can reach. Away from my dearest Moon.” -Hecate

Here players will have to travel to Mercury once more and undergo a special spy mission named “Mother of Night” where they will be required to find the final location of Hecate, the Mother of Night as Tyl Regor has uncovered her location and has failed to send a team of Grineer to successfully extract her from the void. Having been swarmed by infested, the Lotus will urge players to go to this final location in the following voice message:

Tenno, I’m afraid Hecate may be in grave danger. Her urgency is quite extreme, even if quite long ago. I know you understand what has happened with the second dream, but I fear her dream has never come. We need to find her now. You’ll need to board her last known location in the void. I’m afraid the ship has become infested. I urge you to not travel alone, Tenno. If you do, be safe and come back with her safely." - Lotus

“Operator, Ordis thinks this is a bad idea for you to continue on. No one knows just how powerfu ..*voice glitch* Less that the Mother of Night is. I have very limited information about her. The only information is that humans once referred to her as the Goddess of the Moon and a powerful witch. She controls power of night and utilizes the darkness to her will. She is said to always be accompanied by three others, but that is all I know, Tenno. Anything retaining to her possible history has been lost over time. I’m afraid that this information will not help us fight her. Please come back al-covered in blood.” - Ordis

On this final mission players will be required to undergo an extermination to wipe out all of the infested from within the ship. Upon completion of doing this, a secondary objective will pop up entitled “The Mother of Night Returns”. This objective will require players to defeat the operator of Hecate. During this fight, Aurora of New Loka will comment, "She is here, Tenno. Use extreme caution as I'm detecting a combat analysis scan coming from the area. She intends to defeat you. I believe she sees you as a threat and will destroy you if she must. Prepare yourself, Tenno." During this fight, Hecate will utilize all her abilities in order to try to defeat players. During the fight she will keep three copies of herself that have 50% of her health at all times. She will be highly aggressive and utilize medium range combat to her advantage while shifting between Day and Night using her abilities. Upon defeat players will get to hear her voice one more.

I’m finally… Safe from the Sentients and the Orokin. I find peace at last. Thank you.. I can sleep now after a lifetime on the run.. With gratitude, I’ve sent the required information to your ship so that you may one more recreate my Warframe..” - Hecate

After the mission ends as rewards, players are granted the ability to build her full Warframe with the required materials. Upon returning to the ship the Lotus and New Loka will appear with minor dialogue. 

"While Hecate has been lost to time, I am at least relieved to see that you've managed to keep Tyl Regor from obtaining Hecate. Had he obtained her blueprints, he could possibly hold power over Alad V. Our agents are sure they would have used her for one of his experiments of Regor didn't use her for his own. Use her well, Tenno and be safe." - Lotus

Art: As much as I'd love to have some concept work ready for her, I do have several ideas in the works. I'd be ecstatic if I can get the all amazing, Daemonstar to do the work for her as a joint effort to bring our frames (You really should go see his Warframe, Hennya if you haven't, it's absolutely amazing, so is his concept build for her).

Edited by (PS4)RaivynLyken
Added now Syndicate Mods, Corrected Typo's, and Updated Passive Information - Added Arbiter's of Hexis mods at 12:57pm 4/3/16: Added Perrin Sequence Syndicate Mods: 1:27am CST | 4/5/2016, Changed her Passive and 4th Ability | 3:26pm CST 4/9/2016

I'll read this concept more later, but I would like to point out that we have a frame named Nyx (The Greek version of Nox) Is Nyx the wrong name for her? Yes. Eris would have been a much better name.

Edited by Rehtael7

6 minutes ago, Rehtael7 said:

I'll read this concept more later, but I would like to point out that we have a frame named Nyx (The Greek version of Nox)

I am well aware of this. However, two very different concepts of use. While Nyx is a CC, Nox utilizes a play style that approaches as both a damage and a CC. I'm already debating the name, but the overall concept could be quite useful.

The other name I was debating is the Norse name Nótt (forgoing the use of Greek/Roman to Norse), which was the grandmother of Thor. Selene the Goddess of the Moon is the other idea.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)RaivynLyken said:

I am well aware of this. However, two very different concepts of use. While Nyx is a CC, Nox utilizes a play style that approaches as both a damage and a CC. I'm already debating the name, but the overall concept could be quite useful.

The other name I was debating is the Norse name Nótt (forgoing the use of Greek/Roman to Norse), which was the grandmother of Thor.

Could try Wan, which is night in Chinese.

2 minutes ago, tennorod said:

idea sounds good & well detailed

Thanks. Her scaling as she levels will definitely depend on how the dev's feel she is balanced, but overall she is a team oriented character that does depend on players to work together. While her stats are low, she's noticeably one that will require team members to work together and coordinate her abilities, which can be spammed. Her builds focus heavily on her ability power and energy levels. I can foresee people using vitality/vigor/redirection combos.

sure nice idea i guess but as i'm in a hurry i'll just ask this
Mother of night?
not all maps have Day/Night modes, not even counting the missions inside ships. It would randomly enter one of those states in every mission? would it have to force DE to apply more day/night to other places?  
Like i said nice idea, but just as an idea.

7 minutes ago, -.SP.-G43riel said:

sure nice idea i guess but as i'm in a hurry i'll just ask this
Mother of night?
not all maps have Day/Night modes, not even counting the missions inside ships. It would randomly enter one of those states in every mission? would it have to force DE to apply more day/night to other places?  
Like i said nice idea, but just as an idea.

I'd like to see more day/night missions on other tilesets, but due to the lack of tilesets, she'd be randomized. I'll add that into the notes for clarity. Thanks for you question, SP!

I've been debating returning it to "Maiden of Night", but for Warfame intents and purposes, it seems to fit as "Mother of Night".

4 minutes ago, Rehtael7 said:

I'm using that to actually inspire the art for my warframe believe it or not. I didn't even think about the Syndana before I began sketching.

No offense but the day and night concept is kinda already taken by equinox. plus CC is just so outdated. i believe DE wants to move the Meta from one that CC based. while its a good idea and would be highly benefit in the CC based Meta  with the upcoming starchart 3.0 i feel it may not be best for the changes that may come, these are simply my opinions based on  what DE has stated

2 hours ago, ZeroZ09 said:

No offense but the day and night concept is kinda already taken by equinox. plus CC is just so outdated. i believe DE wants to move the Meta from one that CC based. while its a good idea and would be highly benefit in the CC based Meta  with the upcoming starchart 3.0 i feel it may not be best for the changes that may come, these are simply my opinions based on  what DE has stated

I hate stating it, but Equinox isn't necessarily "day/night" cycle. She's my main. Which is what intrigued me to design Hecate the way I have. She is more of a "Hel" from Smite play style, with little to no offensive abilities. However, to me she would be seen more as "Yin and Yang" where as Hecate is the opposite. She utilizes RNG to debate whether or not she is in a day or night cycle if the maps do not support it, it would also cause the need for more day/night maps, which is quite interesting. 

I actually designed Hecate around Star Chart 3.0, believe it or not. I designed her to also utilize Toxin and Slashing based on modding or not-modding. Her primary focus in combat is to disable units and allow for choke point advantages and/or the ability to create slight advantages in Survival/Defense missions. While she's not fully fleshed out yet, I've gotten mixed stances on her. Some interested to see her (PS4 Warframe on Facebook has been offering feedback via PM's and posting on my link). She is still being tweaked as I am using Saryn and Equinox as building grounds for her abilities to ensure she won't be too powerful or too weak so as to offer a unique twist in gameplay.

Also a note. I am not proposing all of those mods be on each faction, but instead created a set of mods that can be picked and chosen from to place in a faction or multiple factions. Just an idea of what ones are there. However, it would be interesting to see mod sets for each faction to offer up more interest in staying with each Syndicate.

we already some kind of Day/ light frame with mirage - Female 
then again another Day/Night Situation with Equinox - Female
Maybe this Night/Shadow one should be male?  

Also Total eclipse needs to be renamed, there's already something ingame named that, it belongs to mirage

some spoilers would help, as it its right now is a way too long wall of text

2 hours ago, -.SP.-G43riel said:

we already some kind of Day/ light frame with mirage - Female 
then again another Day/Night Situation with Equinox - Female
Maybe this Night/Shadow one should be male?  

Also Total eclipse needs to be renamed, there's already something ingame named that, it belongs to mirage

some spoilers would help, as it its right now is a way too long wall of text

I actually thought of making her male at first. I've gotten lots of positive feedback on the PS4 Warframe Community where players are actually enjoying her concept as she could be built as support due to her augments, but also the lore she plays off of, which is the Moon Goddess Hecate. Sister to Nyx. While I realize that Equinox is a "Day/Night" I do not see much in the means of similarities, as Equinox is my main frame. I play her very extensively (She's my second highest played at around 200-300 hours since my return last month after a year hiatus). If anything Equinox is a ying-yang character.

My biggest issue i came around building her is the fact she has been made to coincide with the abilities presented by both Equinox and Nyx. I did have to look at all the Warframes when building her to ensure that she would be a great support/dps type since her CC is a mini-CC compared to most and would be most viable in Defense/M. Defense/Survival. I've been debating reworking her passive slightly to allow for a more unique twist, but at this moment, I've been debating how that will change as a lot of people that I've spoken to have actually enjoyed the idea of her passive. The issue we are starting to run into Warframe is the attempt of making Warframes that are not exactly alike, but are similar to one another. I actually have been debating making a frame that COULD coincide with Hecate that would be a very efficient dagger use (seeing as Ivara is limited to bows for her abilities, why not make another Warframe that is exclusive to a weapon type?). His name is in the works, but he would introduce a new element of sorts if DE would consider adding one for Damage 3.0.