Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cells - This Is Warframes Endgame

notionphil

Have you come across the term patience? If you watched the stream, they made priorities. They also promised that they will be looking into player generated content, so I'd suggest you to stay put and wait till they achieve their goals.

the point of this thread, in case you have misunderstood is not player generated content. Far from it. It is for content created by the developer to inject lore( sorely lacking in this case, even with a codex system) across multiple levels.  THis means not just one mission, but possibly 2-5 as you explore a  region/ship/planet to achieve your main goal. 

Passing it off as user generated content is entirely wrong, though if push comes to shove i believe the majority of us here within this thread will burn the midnight oil to push them out. 

The idea is that we give the developer this tool, to reduce burnout, retain our attention, and literally bring their world to life, since lets be honest with ourselves, this IP is very very bare boned.  Literally the only thing, absolute only thing to do is grind.  Cells is a counter to that.

How do you feel about the War Areas?

Its at least a step in the right direction to let players shape the game.

Someone musy have read and heard us, I for one look forward to it.

Its like planetside and Dawn of war, Dark Crusade hopefully.

If this can spread and be tied to storylines connected to Planets, we might see a version of CELLS one day next year.

Its a shame they dont adress it tho, I figure the most active topict should get some airtime, not just animations etc, tho its nice to see evidence they are working on content that is not in the category Weapon, mod, helmet.

the problem with the war areas, though a nice touch and much needed break in monotony, is that after we run them this weekend, they will be removed from the game (probably entirely).  Events in and of themselves present "risk"/reward, where you invest time doing something and receive a reward based on your efforts. 

they've read, in someway have misunderstood the idea, though hopefully they've revisited and the idea has been corrected.  That or that's how they wish to view this idea. 

I'd be down for cross planet cells that would take you to enemies to rescue frames etc.  For example the new zerker frame is being held captive by Corpus.  We could have a cell that would break her out and you'd receive her bps as a compensation. 

^that is exactly the point of Cells.

You would run 3 cells, each with like 5-6 missions, and get the full backstory of that frame and free her from her corpus captors. Each would contain a fleshed out story from learning about her presence to locating her to rescuing her. When you are done you will have earned her and know exactly why she is what she is.

Instead we are going to probably get some single-serve content....a boss a frame and probably some new disposable one-off key (like lephantis).

Sigh.

Edited by notionphil

What? I must have missed some key information.

From what I understood from the Stream, the Warzones will be a permanent zone that changes ownership as we play. Wasn´t that why they were all giddy and exited?

Are you saying this is just my wishful thinking? Is this just a one-time thing? Seriously, it cant be. Not when they put this much effort into making a new kind of mission type and feature, namely being Ally with the enemy.

If this is just an event with the ususal rewards blabla, then whats the point? To find out what we think? To get feedback on an idea i think the majority are positive to being implemented?

Now im just dazed and once more in bewilderment of DEs course of actions.

Please say it isnt so.

thats' what i thought they said, was that it was event, in which you could aline yourself with alad v or with ruk.  i'll have to go back to the write up to know for            sure tho

Edit: from reddit write up

The event!

• Coming up on next Wednesday!
  • "The WAR back in WARFRAME!"
  • Conflict comes to the Starchart! The Grineer are attacking into Corpus Space, and ALAD V is not happy. "PICK A SIDE"
  • Short video of the event!
  • The Tenno are to keep the balance of power in the universe; time to intervene in space politics the only way we know how!
  • Sheldon - "I'd love to see entire Clans choose sides"
  • War Heroes will be commemorated from each side!
  • Contested nodes in the Starchart, pick a side and your efforts will move the global balance of power!
  • Your allied side will help you in combat! (Shield Ospreys will boost your shields, Rollers to attack your enemies!)

my understanding is that rewards will be tied to faction as well.

Edited by r3dzer0

Hmm. Nothing prevents this to be turned into permanent missions after the event tho.

I personally am against the system of only using Lore and story in Event s.

Why limit the game? Any who misses it will want to play at a later time.

In the Lore tab I can see all I never played and as a consequence will never see.

Better to go cells way, construct story arcs, give meaning to Tenno struggles, give purpose and a sense of pride and exitement.

Let me tell you a story.

Once I was new to Warframe. I knew next to nothing about it but it was futuristic and had an interesting art direction.

I got my Loki, went to Mercury and teamed up with 3the strangers.

At every missions end I sat still and in a few seconds the nexy missoon began.

All the way through Mercury untill we faced captain Vor.

I said to myself, This is great! We play the Planets together and unlock new maps untill we face a Boss.

Like a RPG.

Then reality struck.

You see my point? I thought the game worked like CELLS from the beginning.

I was sad to find out about grind rng and the rest.

Thats why I love this concept.

I love the concept of the planetary war mechanic, just to chime in. I think they can expand it to give some point to mission replayability over time if they make it permanent (ex some levels/voids/rewards only accessible when corpus controls X or grineer controls Y).

This concept could easily work with Cells as they could provide special advantages or large control boosts for said war missions. Ex: complete this cell and it prevents corpus from having regenerating shields on planet Y for X hours. Complete another Cell and it gives grineer +100 influence points on mission Z.

Let me tell you a story.

Once I was new to Warframe. I knew next to nothing about it but it was futuristic and had an interesting art direction.

I got my Loki, went to Mercury and teamed up with 3the strangers.

At every missions end I sat still and in a few seconds the nexy missoon began.

All the way through Mercury untill we faced captain Vor.

I said to myself, This is great! We play the Planets together and unlock new maps untill we face a Boss.

Like a RPG.

Then reality struck.

You see my point? I thought the game worked like CELLS from the beginning.

I was sad to find out about grind rng and the rest.

Thats why I love this concept.

This is exactly why I came up with the Cells concept. Everything it needs is pretty much already in the game. It just takes the existing pieces and puts them together in a way that has meaning - instead of Grinding you are actually completing objectives with purpose. Edited by notionphil

I agree with both of you.  This can very easily be turned into a cell like mission structure.  Though when i sit back and consider the relationship between tenno, corpus and grineer, i can't imagine that it really helps for us to take sides and fight the other enemy.  I think there needs to be a little more structuring to the story line to tell us why exactly we would want to align ourselves with them and then turn on them right afterward.

were you possibly thinking within the same cell your influence would be affected or outside also?  i can understand within missions, but going from cell to cell that'd be tricky unless you're with the same group.

Overall i think this will be a very telling event, more so with the direction that they plan on going.  If they plan on dumping all the hard work they have put into making it or if they're going to implement it accross the board to be a special mission set that can only be repeated every so often.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this idea so much it's unbelievable. When I first played the game, it was amazing. To begin with, I thought that the story was deliberately held back from us- amnesiac, faceless hero saving the galaxy from a chaotic evil threat -and that, given time it would be revealed. I played mission after mission, fighting the Grineer back, and then when I got to Vor...

...Nothing, really. He made an Orokin Tech gun. He was in the trailer. Who are the Orokin, again? And you know what, Lotus? Why am I still following your orders? You haven't given me a scrap of information!

I got over it for a bit, and then I was thrown into Venus, where the Grineer promptly gave way to the Corpus. I actually thought that they were some kind of raving technocult at first, because the only information I got from them was them shouting, "Praise the robot!" in warbled speech. I know know that they're just merchants full of greedy milk, but I had to read that on the forums and wiki- there was never any indication in the game. In fact, there was very little plot to speak of- it was never revealed.

I would absolutely love Cells. It would give everything I just complained about meaning. Who is Vor? Why is he important? Why do the Tenno follow Lotus at all? How and why did the Grineer empire form, and how are the Corpus involved? Does Greedy Milk ever expire?

I think backstory, especially through flashback style plot missions like I'm imagining this as, would be incredible. Keep it up, and take my +1.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I think the war areas or contested nodes gameplay works better if there is a neutral 'Tenno Forces' faction. Nobody really cares about helping the enemies we've been slaughtering the whole time but we could care about a neutral faction that supported the Tenno. And it would facilitate cells story lines as well. The Tenno have no headquarters, no base, no source of direction or motivation, no reason to fight, nothing to defend. The cryopods communicate almost nothing about our universe. Cells or a cells-like idea is the obvious choice.

P.S. Alright.. who was it that cast the 666th upvote? Come forth and reveal yourself Beezlebub..

Edited by alocrius

Amazing. This is a fantastic idea, and so elegant and readily implementable.

If I could re-play a small scale of version of old events as a 'memoir' cell, recapping the story arc of that event, maybe available through research accessed in the oracle room after maximum scans achieved on related targets, say ruk and alad for the gradivus event, that would be tremendous fun, and could perhaps provide a way for content create by DE for events to build permanently into the gameplay rather than being played and discarded.

I'm really stunned and amazed with the simplicity and excellence of this cells concept. This is an idea so good that I want to keep checking back in on it to see what new things players think to build on the possibilities. For the incredibly simple story delivery vehicle and drop table solution alone, I would +1.

Edited by Rajko

Also, as Phil said, this Cells concept could work incredibly well with developer's plans to implement more player created content.  With a little more narrative framework from DE, it could be possible to create endless stories and fun with player created cells.  

Because it uses almost all existing content, it should be relatively direct to let players snap content in, run through some configuration UI, and submit a cell to DE for review and publication.  At least at first, I'd think it would need a review process to iron out any gameplay bugs like un-completeable levels or rooms.

A new Dojo room could be released to allow for the Cell construction.  I wonder what it would be called?  The Library?

It could drive cash shop purchases through the consumption of difficult to get but still farmable in game items, letting players support the game and extend the game.  

Edited by Rajko

Also, as Phil said, this Cells concept could work incredibly well with developer's plans to implement more player created content.  With a little more narrative framework from DE, it could be possible to create endless stories and fun with player created cells.  

Because it uses almost all existing content, it should be relatively direct to let players snap content in, run through some configuration UI, and submit a cell to DE for review and publication.  At least at first, I'd think it would need a review process to iron out any gameplay bugs like un-completeable levels or rooms.

A new Dojo room could be released to allow for the Cell construction.  I wonder what it would be called?  The Library?

It could drive cash shop purchases through the consumption of difficult to get but still farmable in game items, letting players support the game and extend the game.  

I absolutely love the Library idea. Even a peer review process to accompany Cells would be great.

That's a great point, players could spend plat to put things in Library created Cells. The RNG nature of WF actually would work out well with player created content. I will think more on this point and contribute to it.

If that Library thing works out, then it would also let players create more expansive levels, perhaps?  That multiple route level could possibly form, giving players two ways to get to an objective. Or perhaps, set up different scenarios, for example, creating a series of levels that start the players entering maybe one or two rooms away from the reactor core of a ship or outpost, and then having to run through the entire level before the timer hits zero. I entirely support that idea.

So, what do we have so far? DE Created Cells, and then some Community Created Cells? DCC and CCC?

If that Library thing works out, then it would also let players create more expansive levels, perhaps?  That multiple route level could possibly form, giving players two ways to get to an objective. Or perhaps, set up different scenarios, for example, creating a series of levels that start the players entering maybe one or two rooms away from the reactor core of a ship or outpost, and then having to run through the entire level before the timer hits zero. I entirely support that idea.

So, what do we have so far? DE Created Cells, and then some Community Created Cells? DCC and CCC?

Yes, exactly what you suggested would be the point of player created Cells - an infinite possibility of scenarios that offer unique challenges. Thousands of real missions, with structure, rated/ranked by players. New experiences daily. As per your example...you might be running through a decaying corpus merchant ship that are besieged by the infested before the self destruct timer goes off.

Cells already have a few elements which could be useful for story-telling:

1) Mission Parameters - unique nightmare mode like conditions such as 'no ammo for primary', 'low gravity' or 'enemies are all poisonous'.

2) Impasses - scripted single room challenges which must be overcome by a team before moving on through the level

3) Lore based mission text - much like the boss popups and lotus instructions

Take those, and allow them to be triggered by a few key events like timers or players reaching a certain room....and you now have the tools for players to create their own actual plots and extensive missions.

ex: Tenno spy mission on Corpus merchant vessel goes horribly wrong

-timer starts at 10:00, lotus (or some lotus assistant probably, for player cells) informs you that the ship had been carrying a rare strain of infested for study, but the Corpus don't know they are there yet. Your instructions are to get out of there ASAP, the whole thing is going down.

-at 7:00, the infested start to spawn and in a player-written message their presence is "announced" by the ships helmsman. The 'all enemies are poisonous condition is now applied, to indicate the rare infested strain is affecting the ship.

-when the ships bridge is reached, a it creates the 'low gravity' condition on the ship and the helmsman announces "the infested have damaged the ships gravity drive!, we're all done for!"

-the next room is an Impasse with the 'elite team detected' condition. You have to take out a elite infested team and player-written messages inform you that this team is the source of the rare infested strain.

-when the timer hits 3:00, corpus stop spawning entirely, and another player written message from the "last corpus on board" lets them know they're being wiped out.

-When the timer hits 0: a player written failure message popus up. Or if they extract, a player written success message.

That would be possible. woa.

Edited by notionphil

I love where this is going.  With a system like this, DE can streamline creating events, players can entertain themselves with endless mission variety, and everything can scale modular-ly into the future.

Really, I'd pay 5-20 platinum to play through a YandereSamantha created corpus event involving all of her enemy faction crushes at once.  Even it if it didn't have VO work, it would be crazy fun.  (not that it should be plat only, just that I'd tip YandereSamantha for that experience.)

I know there are plenty of other forum goers who would spend a borderline obsessive amount of time and effort creating quality Cells.  (including me!)

If this cells concept were to be implemented, I could see the audio team even being able to swiftly do VO work for those Cells upvoted by players.  This is extra possible now that the modulation is an algorithm applied to DE_Rebecca's voice overs, rather than being recorded, mixed, exported and implemented.  (As I understand it, it works like this as of very recently, and is still being fully integrated)

As for that, Phil suggested player review of player created content.  Imagine if 1000 tenno (not that high considering 2.5 million accounts and 15K+ logged in almost always) were to upvote a player created cell, that cell could be reviewed by DE for official sponsorship, getting touch ups, exclusive VO work, etc.  Player created content could be entered in platinum contests, even.

Edited by Rajko