Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What if Melee Weapons Were distinctly different?

Every Melee weapon in the game is just a measure of how much status chance or critical chance the weapon has. Of course this is followed by its damage output however what if the weapon in action reflected another skill you could add to the battle?

Ok lets stop this confusing talk and lets clarify.

Each Archetype of weapon could be utilized with its charge move to give it a significant skill that will make people consider experimenting with other weapon types than what has the best stats at the time.

Here's some examples to get you going with what I'm thinking.

• Whips When Charged lasso's enemies to be thrown in a direction
  • Fists When charged grapples the nearest target
  • Sword and Shield When charged while blocking, bashes the nearest enemy with shield to cause them to stagger
  • Claws When charged attacks the nearest enemy for a ground finisher
  • Dual Swords When Charged dashes forward and behind nearest targets slashing them
  • Rapier When Charged Dashes forward and lunges at nearest enemy

Do you guys think that changes like this would alter the weapon choice by players?

These are just examples although I have ideas for every weapon type. I think this would considerable change which melee weapons are chosen by players and in fact promote variation in playing styles. These weapons types of course must have their charge times significantly reduced from what we have now or at least able to be manipulated from speed mods. 

Edited by (PS4)RenovaKunumaru

2 minutes ago, -dicht.Amducias- said:

Dont think these small features would overcome damage output / crit chance etc unless they are abusable

The charge time for these elements must be short, no longer than 1 sec for these to be considered effective and should probably be able to multi target close enemies since this is a horde style game.

So yes they should be rather spammable. In regards to crit chance and such, all weapon archetypes already have a competitive crit, status, or special feature. In my opinion something like this would separate them further.

2 minutes ago, The_Raall said:

would not change anything... if person has broken war that person would not use any other sword... only way to make melee better is to change every weapon to have something unique to them.

Well, that I'm aware of in regards to weapons of a specific type. DE has already begun to manage weapons in the level of that, in which weapons like Lesion, which differentiates from other pole arms by adding perks to specific weapons.

I'm however referring to perks within the weapon variants. Why use a scythe over a polearm or blade? No reason? Purely cosmetic?

2 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Well, that I'm aware of in regards to weapons of a specific type. DE has already begun to manage weapons in the level of that, in which weapons like Lesion, which differentiates from other pole arms by adding perks to specific weapons.

I'm however referring to perks within the weapon variants. Why use a scythe over a polearm or blade? No reason? Purely cosmetic?

well if there were something special about every weapon people would use those weapons...if there were something special per weapon class it would end up just the way it's now... everyone would use only 3-5 different melee weapons... no one wants to use fragor when there are 2 hammers that are better but look worse.

30 minutes ago, The_Raall said:

well if there were something special about every weapon people would use those weapons...if there were something special per weapon class it would end up just the way it's now... everyone would use only 3-5 different melee weapons... no one wants to use fragor when there are 2 hammers that are better but look worse.

Well I'm not saying stop making special weapons, I'm saying the weapon archetypes should have their special features and DE should also continue making special weapons. Not 1 or the other but both of those ideas together.

I like your idea, but I would like to take some things to the next level.

•     Fists when charged punches-through the nearest opponents stomach which causes a rag doll effect damaging everyone in the path.
  •     Claws when charged performs a berserker barrage slashing everything in a frontal cone.
  •     Dual Swords when charged performs a quick 720 AoE damage spin.
Spoiler

I'm just kidding. No way this is going to happen.

Edited by Oranji

54 minutes ago, Oranji said:

I like your idea, but I would like to take some things to the next level.

•     Fists when charged punches-through the nearest opponents stomach which causes a rag doll effect damaging everyone in the path.
  •     Claws when charged performs a berserker barrage slashing everything in a frontal cone.
  •     Dual Swords when charged performs a quick 720 AoE damage spin.
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm just kidding. No way this is going to happen.

However I thought this Dual Swords when charged performs a quick 720 AoE damage spin.

Im not sure what part of your statement you were kidding about but I thought this would be cool for daggers.

how melee weapons should be, IMO;

Sparring: fast Crit weapons with low per-strike damage, charge attacks should hit enemy Pressure Points and stun them for a short time.#

Gauntlets: slower than Sparring, but higher damage and charge attacks knock enemies to the floor. regardless of damage.

Claws: fast, slash based, with a good status chance and some crit. charge attack should cause a gaping would that inflicts 3x the normal Slash damage.

Daggers: fast, short reach, charge attack should throw it for taking down enemies at range.

Dual Daggers: slower but higher damage than single daggers. Charge attack pins an enemy in one place, then slashes them.

Machetes: slow but powerful mid-range weapons, charge attack can cut off limbs.

Swords: medium speed, damage and reach. charge attack can cut off limbs.

Dual Swords: slightly slower but more powerful than single Swords. charge attack pins enemies, then slashes them. a Unique animation should appear for dual hatchet-type weapons.

Whips: low damage, but good reach and Status effect. charge attack grabs enemies and reels them in for a finisher.

Staves: long reach, impact based, Charge attack breaks bone, rendering limbs useless.

Polearms: Long reach, medium speed and damage. Charge attack lunges into enemies, then throws them back.

Glaives: melee should be medium speed, close range attacks, Charge attack replaced by Throwing.

Gunblade: melee should be close range, high damage. Charge Attack replaced by gunshot.

Heavy Blade: long reach and high damage, but slow. charge attack is a devastating blow inflicting finisher damage.

15 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

how melee weapons should be, IMO;

Sparring: fast Crit weapons with low per-strike damage, charge attacks should hit enemy Pressure Points and stun them for a short time.#

Gauntlets: slower than Sparring, but higher damage and charge attacks knock enemies to the floor. regardless of damage.

Claws: fast, slash based, with a good status chance and some crit. charge attack should cause a gaping would that inflicts 3x the normal Slash damage.

Daggers: fast, short reach, charge attack should throw it for taking down enemies at range.

Dual Daggers: slower but higher damage than single daggers. Charge attack pins an enemy in one place, then slashes them.

Machetes: slow but powerful mid-range weapons, charge attack can cut off limbs.

Swords: medium speed, damage and reach. charge attack can cut off limbs.

Dual Swords: slightly slower but more powerful than single Swords. charge attack pins enemies, then slashes them. a Unique animation should appear for dual hatchet-type weapons.

Whips: low damage, but good reach and Status effect. charge attack grabs enemies and reels them in for a finisher.

Staves: long reach, impact based, Charge attack breaks bone, rendering limbs useless.

Polearms: Long reach, medium speed and damage. Charge attack lunges into enemies, then throws them back.

Glaives: melee should be medium speed, close range attacks, Charge attack replaced by Throwing.

Gunblade: melee should be close range, high damage. Charge Attack replaced by gunshot.

Heavy Blade: long reach and high damage, but slow. charge attack is a devastating blow inflicting finisher damage.

This is the type of ideas I'm talking about. I think an approach like this would enhance the value of certain weapon archetypes.