Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos Better Than Hate?

HappyFox

Tenno.

I was admiring my new Orthos, which I can say I love. Good job DE.

But anyway, since Its an infested weapon, I decided to compare it to hate.

Keep in mind, Hate is really hard to get, farming the stalker is a pain in the &#!.

Orthos has 45 damage, Hate has 50

Orthos has 1.57 base fire rate. Hate has 1.5

Both have 200 base charge damage

Orthos has 1.633s base charge speed. Hate has 2.1

Both has 5% base cirt chance and 150% base crit damage

They both do 3x damage to infested

Neither have Polarities.

Orthos has a larger field of hitting, and can even hit behind the Tenno using it.

I don't see the point in wasting time to get Hate when you could get Orthos far easier. Its pretty cheap to craft.  Way cheaper than Hate. You don't have to farm the blueprint, either.

The only reason I see to get Hate is the 5 extra damage (Which is close to meaningless) and having it as a collectors item.

Maybe I am missing something, can someone help me out?

Edited by HappyFox

Nope, you are correct.

Not all weapons are created equal or even make sense in terms of difficulty to acquire/make to effectiveness ratio. Whether this is desirable design or not I won't touch.

Hate does have 100% stagger, though, which I don't think Orthos has.

Edited by TehLaggy

hate has that neat aspect where it does a secondary hit after the first. if you are moving forward into a mob it means you have a better shot at hitting more enemies as you hit the front like then move thru them to hit enemies behind.

i can easily say that i hit 3 enemies per charge attack more often on the hate and reaper because of this.

ortho is great all around and had its more generous hit range but you have to be in the middle of a pack to make full use of it.

they are different enough that a stat by stat comparison doesn't do it much justice.

im half regretting putting a catalyst in the orthos since i assumed the hate had a polarity slot (dread have 2 V slots so i was just guessing) the thing is, i feel like the orthos hit boxes are a bit all over the place, the hate is a bit more predictable and simple.

it can be as good if not better when putting a reach mode but then again just a preferrance. use whatever you like better i guess.

im half regretting putting a catalyst in the orthos since i assumed the hate had a polarity slot (dread have 2 V slots so i was just guessing) the thing is, i feel like the orthos hit boxes are a bit all over the place, the hate is a bit more predictable and simple.

it can be as good if not better when putting a reach mode but then again just a preferrance. use whatever you like better i guess.

They are all over the place, I still like the weapon

that's what I get for playing on a laptop :(

Its always the problem with poor laptop.

Anyway, I would say orthos better.

Hate has 100% stagger, BUT it cannot stagger all those infested chargers. Which is very annoying and making this 100% stagger pretty much useless. Its kinda universal law that we are not going to CQC against ancients. Their uber OP awesome hands will kick you to hell.

So, orthos has larger range and RoF .

But it all ends up in "Personal Preference" .(Im still using Reaper Prime)

I have both, neither potatoed or leveled all the way up.  But from what I've played with them I really prefer hate.  I would say next to dual heat swords on ash or gram it is my favorite weapon.  As others of said, the hit box is just really good. 

Hate
=High base Damage/Charge Damage
+Natural Armor Penetration
+100% Stagger, Hit into Charge looping can infinite stagger and prevent multiple Ancients from even moving.
+Deals the same amount of damage to all factions.
+Deals nearly double damage to Orokin controlled enemies.
=Looks badass
+Has a badass charge move
+Charge Move can hit the same enemy multiple times.
-Hard to farm

Orthos
=looks cool
=High base damage/charge damage
+Long Range
-No Natural Armor Pierce
-No natural damage buff
-Low stagger rate
-Large Blind spot in swing animations
-has no natural faction damage buff

This is just from my experiences with the weapon if you are comparing these by stats they are essentially the same with one being FAR easier to get compared to the other.

But when you also compare the Extra buffs they get HATE is clearly the victor with next to no contest ESPECIALLY when all the stalker weapons deal nearly double damage to Orokin.

Orthos is meant for a regular swing, not to charge kill.  Lots of folks stuck with the charge mechanic of melee will not like it.  I enjoy it and love the way it works on groups when using regular swing.  Charge is just as it should be on Orthos a secondary attack when the opportunity expresses itself.  Charge is not mandatory on this weapon like a Dark Sword or Plasma Sword.

EDIT: If you compare stats you will never see why the Orthos is so fun.  Its like the Aklato, on paper it is just 2 beginner guns, in practice it is really a fun and effective weapon.

Edited by Nickeltoe

Sorry to state the obvious but You CANT compare two weapons when You dont even own one of them!!!

i have both and both kick butt....

but Hate is faster,has much better AOE, looks better, and its rarity is a big plus also

Also on an all black Ash packing a bow You can make people sh1t themselves...they think you are the STALKER haha