Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe on Steam Machine

Vaedryn

Question

Hey guys,

I have a friend who has an Alienware Steam Machine and wants to play Warframe on it. He does not have a PC to stream from. When he pulls up Warframe on the Machine, it says that it does not run in SteamOS and that he would have to stream it from a Windows PC (which like I said he does not have). Is there a way around this? Is there any way possible to make the game run on a Steam Machine without the use of a PC?

8 answers to this question

Because a steam machine is a PC, he could install Windows on it and run warframe on that.

Currently Warframe doesn't run on linux/OSX.

So unless he installs windows on a different partition or installs another drive for a windows dual boot, he cannot run warframe.

Edited by Jerakl
Added a tad more info

That's what I was thinking. But without a PC, I'm not sure how exactly he can go about doing that. I can't seem to find a definite walkthrough on what steps need to be taken. Obviously I have a PC so I can help him if he needs something put onto a USB drive.

Warframe, strictly speaking, isn't a Steam game. It's got its own launcher that requires a PC or console to play. It goes through Steam to be available to more people in the PC market, but it's not something that's run through Steam. 

In other words, the game isn't a Valve game, and doesn't use Steam to run, so it doesn't run on a Steam Machine.

At least, that's my understanding of it. Same with Nexon games. 

4 minutes ago, Vaedryn said:

That's what I was thinking. But without a PC, I'm not sure how exactly he can go about doing that. I can't seem to find a definite walkthrough on what steps need to be taken. Obviously I have a PC so I can help him if he needs something put onto a USB drive.

As you might know, SteamOS is basically Linux (Debian, to be specific). Saying "Linux-compatible game" and "SteamOS-compatible game" is the same thing.

If your friend wants to run Warframe on SteamOS, then he has to run the game as a Linux game (emulating it with Vine). I understand very little of the matter, but you can find a three-old-year guide here. No guarantee that what worked three years ago still works now.

Other options are installing Windows on the Steam Machine, or emulating Windows and running Warframe in the emulated Windows. I have no idea how easy any of these are.

Aside from that, you can only hope that DE decides to port Warframe to SteamOS.

So I found this video...

It seems pretty dang easy to set up the Steam Machine to use Windows. I may have to bring his machine to my house and do all of the steps for him though.

Has anyone tried this?

Depending on the popularity of Steam Machines, DE might think of releasing their Linux Client. Until then, it's quite impossible. We've been having a lot of problem with Wine lately, so I kind of gave up on it.

However, scenery might change. Vulkan API is a thing and Windows isn't its primary system. So there's a chance. But it's, of course, a long shot.

4 hours ago, Vaedryn said:

It seems pretty dang easy to set up the Steam Machine to use Windows. I may have to bring his machine to my house and do all of the steps for him though.

It's very quite unnecessary, though. A Steam Machine is a Steam Big Picture running on top of GNU/Linux, basically. The only advantage of running Big Picture on Windows would be being able to run wider range of games, which isn't the point of a Steam Machine.

10 minutes ago, julespetrikov said:

A Steam Machine is a Steam Big Picture running on top of GNU/Linux, basically. The only advantage of running Big Picture on Windows would be being able to run wider range of games, which isn't the point of a Steam Machine.

Cost-wise it would still be much cheaper for him to get Windows going on the Machine he already has versus buying a PC since he has no current PC. They just aren't wanting to play a TON of games that they can't already play - which is why getting an actual PC may not be something he wants to do. :( His main focus is to play Warframe in PC format. What's stopping DE from making Warframe compatible with SteamOS?

Okay, I realized now that there's a question here. -_-' I'm so sorry, I can't get used to this weird forums scheme. I really, truly am sorry.

What they can do? Not quite sure. - A Steam Machine is technically a Linux. The drive can be re-parted for a Windows Installation via Gparted from USB, then it would require another Linux Distro to re-install GRUB so you could switch between SteamOS and Windows. This is not only technically but practically possible, however depending on warranty there might be consequences and if you don't know what you're doing, it might end up quite bad.

OR - I don't know the details but since it's a Linux and a Debian, it's completely possible to install Wine and try Warframe out. - which might be tricky because I can't get it work on my Linux partition since last two updates of Wine. Maybe an older version, dunno. But it's not working for me now.

41 minutes ago, Vaedryn said:

What's stopping DE from making Warframe compatible with SteamOS?

Well, that's what I'm trying to find out by asking about a possible OpenGL or at least a possible Vulkan experimentation, so far no answers. No DevStream actually answered this, no official account have responded. Since there's literally no actual in-depth answer in these forums, it's safe for me to assume that it's pretty pointless to ask about them here. - Funny thing is, Evolution Engine supports GNU/Linux. 

Edited by julespetrikov