Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0

Potamine

Recently I've been using my melee a lot and it occurred to me that our melee system is great and could be expanded upon even more. 

The idea I had was to allow us to carry up to three Melee weapons at a time and switch between them as we please during combat. 

Would it break the game? Could do, with people going in with their Sibear, Orthos Prime, and Dual Ether (just as an example) and randomly switching between them mid combo and inflicting maximum damage in the next strike, going from fast to hard hitting in a split second could break the game.

How should it be implemented? Like the devil may cry 3 Vergil combat system where is is able to pull off new combos mid combo. 

"But what about carrying three guns into combat, wouldn't that be next?" Um, no. There are more melee archetypes than gun archetypes. So melee would present more options and variety. I also think multiple of each archetype should be allowed, ergo allowing multiple dual melee weapons to be equipped. 

"But what about weapon placement?" Well DE would just have to edit the weapon placements for weapons like having dual wielded melee by overlapped onto each other on the left side (primary), right side (secondary) and lower back (regular). If the weapons are sparring weapons or the rapier or the sword n board class then they can be left as they are. 

"But what about switching?" I guess we'll have to introduce a 'next weapon, previous weapon' feature with buttons like in far cry 4 and devil may cry 3, or use the scroll pad on your mouse. 

A reminder, this is just a fan concept. If it gets implemented, great! If not, eh. This is mainly to start a discussion and get opinions. I am curious to think what others feel about this concept. So ask away! :3

33 minutes ago, zetsubouglob said:

Wouldn't exactly make much sense, carrying that much weaponry around would make the avatar slow and easily seen. Which would defeat the point of 'ninjas'.

Opticore, Twin Grakata's. War combo would like to have a word with you.

Edited by Shuuro

1 minute ago, zetsubouglob said:

Agreed. But we're supposed to be 'ninjas'.

Yes. Thus i was being sarcastic. 

What OP described would make a lot of sense in a lot of MMORPGs, in warframe it makes zero sense..
Going back on the whole ninja-thing, it's fine if a ninja carries two katanas and a kunai, for example, but then it doesn't fit well with warframes. And why would you need several melee weapons anyway? It's like the gadgetpeople carrying around several gadgets with the same purpose, just because they like each one of them and can't decide which is better.

he . 2 weapon will be fine .. not 3. 

and i like that idea. but first DE need fix some of the combo so the make damge and have more utilty . 

dual dagger . macheta . dual/one heand sowrd .. and a loot more . have very bad combo . 

Brokk Hammer , Jat Kittag and War. The clipping nightmare is real. Maybe you should also tie this to some weight limit or something where you can carry up to 30kg of weapons and a Hammer is 20 , where swords are 5-15 so it wouldn't be too ridiculous . 

Such an idea could consider weapon role. And the big challenge is how mods would work, such as if I have Sweeper Prime on my Sentinel and I am rockin' my Vaykor Hek, I need to have different sets of mods.

So with that in mind, I'd consider: Fighting, Finishing and Thrown.

So Weapons in the Fighting category are the current range of weapons we can take already, so no changes outside of knowing that Now we need to consider saving mods for the other categories.

Finishing weapons should then be limited to small, quick striking options aiming to quietly eliminate targets. So limited to Daggers, Fists/Sparring and possibly a select few other weapons that I'm drawing a blank on. These could see a new mounting on the chest or front waist of the Warframes when in this slot. Since this is already a prompted action, it would simply play a new animation. Also if a player wants to keep using their primary melee for finishers, then maybe the slot is kept blank or lists the primary.

For the last, Thrown melees, I can imagine going through an area, tossing the Glaive and then as it travels, using Daggers to silently dispatch a few tough enemies, then transitioning to the Jat Kittag to finish of the rest of the mob. This melee option is the one that needs tweaking in the key binds, but since using this weapon is simply as a thrown option, it would not have the double pump delay animation on its current setup. And maybe opens the possibility, if using the thrown weapon in the Fighting Category, that we would have two different keys to use the weapon.

One possibility is having Quick Melee and Melee switch dynamically. So when carrying a gun, Quick Melee uses the primary fighting melee to strike just as it currently does. Then when the primary fighting Melee weapon is equipped, Quick Melee throws the Glaive to where you aim.

Another alternative is to have the Melee Attack key assigned to the primary melee no matter what, and then Quick Melee turns into the Thrown key. That way any swinging of the primary is done on the same key, and if one wants to block, use charge attacks or channeling they need to put away their ranged weapons and equip the melee to perform those actions. That way we can also independently throw and detonate with the Thrown Key. This option would also require a bit of moving keys bindings around depending on what players have set up.

I'd like to argue that anyone who says 'defeats the point of being ninjas' forgets that we have a 'magician' 'paladin/druid' and an upcoming 'fairy' warframe. We're no longer space ninjas, we're an army of, dare I say it, Warframes. I don't know, just a thought. :d