Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Operation: Cornucopia] Storage Rooms For Existing Tilesets.

Ced23Ric

Hey there,

this is part of the masterthread [Operation: Cornucopia] Fixing The Farming. As we have seen and heard in the Livestream #7, the map designers have a thing for secret rooms and off-the-track adventures. Taking the beautiful idea of the Void, where Raid missions have tricky lootrooms on the side, I'd like to see this adapted to the existing tilesets. Surely, the Corpus ship has a storage bay. Surely, the Grineer galleon has a cargo hold. And even the Outpost must have some sort of warehouse for resources/replacement parts.

I'd love to see DE's mappers get to work on inventing cool ways on how such areas would look, and then seal them off, guard them with turrets or behind hacking terminals, maybe with crawling into vents and pushing buttons "there" to unlock something "there". You got it figured out for the Orokin tileset, you can do it for these, too. I am confident.

These rooms would then contain crates, and just like the Void crates, they would have elevated drop chances - only instead of putting mods into the table, put rare and uncommon resources into the table. This would give the explorers a reward to their scrounging, yet allow the rushers to venture forth without having to explore that path. The mission marker would decidedly not point into that direction.

/discuss

And more secret rooms! But yup, Im also behind the idea of a resource mission or new game mode. Could even make special rewards etc if you can sneak in without being spotted, like robbing a bank vault that might be closed in the case of an intruder detection. That would give people more reason to try stealth gameplay as well.

This would be a great idea, but in addition I think it would be cool to add a 'gaurdian' to these rooms, a strong enemy that defends the treasure room. Start them as an Elite unit with a 10-30% more HP and shields, and over time (or if you have time) create enemies specifically for this purpose. Could even add special drops that only come from them, eventually.

Guarded treasure rooms?  Yes, please.  Give more reason to explore, and if properly guarded, good accomplishment for getting said treasure!  This is great because you get more out of less runs.  More for less is generally better quality, which I will take any day.

So, let me summarize some ideas that have been thrown in.

• Lootrooms are good design. They are optional, but rewarding. They give rushers the option to ignore them, and they give explorers a reason to pursue them. If anything, they could give rushers incentive to actually slow down and search for them.
  • Lootrooms can come in various flavours: Secret, Guarded, Trapped, Locked with puzzles. Variant is the spice of life.
  • Loot rooms are favourites among many. This would make many missions instantly more exciting.

Anyone else have ideas to add?

So, let me summarize some ideas that have been thrown in.

• Lootrooms are good design. They are optional, but rewarding. They give rushers the option to ignore them, and they give explorers a reason to pursue them. If anything, they could give rushers incentive to actually slow down and search for them.
  • Lootrooms can come in various flavours: Secret, Guarded, Trapped, Locked with puzzles. Variant is the spice of life.
  • Loot rooms are favourites among many. This would make many missions instantly more exciting.
Anyone else have ideas to add?

An additional flavour could include a "parkour" variant that focuses on difficult to manouver/access areas. Chained wall-runs and jumps paired with moving walls and ever changing surfaces could be a rewarding challenge.

I like this idea a lot.

The issue with a guardian is that he can give away the location of a loot room just by his presence via Enemy Sense/Enemy Radar

Give the guardian a radar jamming device so he does not appear on minimap but is still visible.

Loot rooms~! I absolutely loved them (secret, puzzle, wallrun to reach) in the void missions. The normal (non void) missions should have them too but with less awesome - so that the void mission rooms remain more awesome. :P

Yes, guards, traps, hack, keys (an elite like Grineer Commander might be carrying a pass-key for such a supply room!) or puzzle etc. Make it make sense. And optional.

Well, if the Void drops (rare) mods and the non-void drops "only" materials, I think there's a tangible difference in quality. :)

Yes - I didn't mean to imply that. But loot rooms. In normal missions. Treasure!!! I'd love for 1 of those lockers to hold at least 1 fusion core or common mod. It should still be a reward beyond the normal locker 'junk'. For those loot rooms only, I mean.

To be fair, there's already something like this I found in some missions. Just that sometimes the "Wheeee!!! Treasure!!!" is somewhat anti-climaxed by "Oh... just one green locker?" But I have been in a loot room with all or almost all green lockers! :)