Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions regarding Damage 2.0

Cray

Question

Preface: I'm working on a damage calculator/simulator program, for the purpose of testing weapon builds against high-level enemies, and determining average shots/time-to-kill, as well as stats on armor-stripping in the case of corrosive status-beasts. The primary motivator here being in the time it takes to try a build against a handful of level 135 enemies, we can simulate 10,000 level 250 enemies, then perform automated statistical analysis.

Unfortunately, this means recreating DE's damage model as perfectly as possible. And that leads me to my questions.

1. Slash procs benefit from crits and headshot multipliers as per (Link). I was told by fellow grizzled veterans that other procs have a similar behavior, but the slash damage page is the only one of all the damage types to mention this. Do all procs (mainly Heat, Toxin, and Gas) get modified by crits and headshots?

2. According to the page for Magnetic Damage (Link), if there's a second proc before the first one ends, the target's shields are permanently reduced. I tried to observe this behavior in the sim room by using a Bursa, but the ratio of health to shield would always return to normal after the proc ended (as well as recharging to 100%). Does anyone know for certain if shields are actually reduced in a permanent manner?

3. Damage carry-over after destroying shields. I am currently doing the following: If shield is less than 0, take absolute value of shield, and spread that out proportionally to the original damage types (excluding toxin, obviously), then apply that damage against health after modifying by health and armor modifiers. Does this accurately represent what happens in-game? Unfortunately, the wiki doesn't appear to have any real information on this mechanic, so recreating it accurately has proven difficult.

4. Do the arsenal values for burst-fire weapons show stats per burst (trigger-pull), or per bullet? I don't think I've ever heard any official word on this, and I haven't noticed any mention of it on the wiki.

5. The wiki page for Gas Damage (Link) is a little weird. When it says 'sum of physical damage', does that include IPS-only mods, meaning it's not asking for base damage? Assuming yes, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Edit: What about pure-elemental weapons?

6. Not really specific to damage 2.0, but weapon spooling (such as the Soma): Do we know the formulas for this mechanic? I'm currently fudging it by assuming half the fire rate for the entire length of the spool period. (Ex: Soma Prime has a spool of 5 shots, so the first 5 shots fire at half the normal rate, and the other 195 are instantly at the full rate.)

I may have more questions later, but these will do for now. Any help would be appreciated, and definitive answers from on-high (notice me, DE!) would be awesome.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

4 answers to this question

6. For spooling I don't know the exact formula for it but that's not how it works it does get gradually faster till it hits its top speed it's a lot easier to see in weapons like the Gorgon or the Supra and I think the formula may actually differ per weapon so that might not be very easy to measure

31 minutes ago, DeltaPhantom said:

Do the arsenal values for burst-fire weapons show stats per burst (trigger-pull), or per bullet? I don't think I've ever heard any official word on this, and I haven't noticed any mention of it on the wiki.

The in-game arsenal displays damage per shot, not damage per burst. It's the same for the wiki, too.

The only time the Arsenal displays total damage of all shots rather than the damage of each individual shot is in the case of shotguns, where they're all fired simultaneously.

26 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

6. For spooling I don't know the exact formula for it but that's not how it works it does get gradually faster till it hits its top speed it's a lot easier to see in weapons like the Gorgon or the Supra and I think the formula may actually differ per weapon so that might not be very easy to measure

Yeah, I know my method is wrong, but I'm left with no choice other than drive myself insane trying to figure it out when at best I could approximate via stopwatch.

54 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

For spooling I don't know the exact formula for it but that's not how it works it does get gradually faster till it hits its top speed

You are misunderstanding. He isn't saying that the soma starts at half speed than instantly goes to full, at least not in the game. He's saying he's treating it like it does, because he's hoping that the result will be the same as far as his calculator goes. This would be correct if the weapon started at 0 fire rate, then increased linearly and continuously to it's max rate. If that were the case, then the average speed during the spool-up would be half of the max speed, and his calculator would get the right answer. However, weapons do not appear to behave this way; instead the attack speed starts higher than 0 and may increase non-linearly. This is why he's asking.