Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe is suddenly lagging and low framerate (before it was playing great without issues)

Laimoon

Question

Hi,

I have Warframe over a few months now, and it always just played good without lagging or low framerates.

But now it is starting lagging and there are low framerates which i never had before. The first 5 minutes it is doing fine, but after that it's starting again. Is there a solution to this? I already tried optimizing the game cache, unparking cores and lowering the settings, but it is just weird too because previously warframe was playing great with high ssettings. 

Hope you know a solution for this (or explanation?),

L. A. I. Moon

9 answers to this question

Yea it's called dusting your PC :P

But srsly. Is this lag consistent or is it just when hanging out with a bladestorm spamming Ash or Tentacle spamming Hydroid?

Also if not did you recently maybe install an antivirus that might be taking up a lot of disk/memory usage? Cause Ive sometimes had an antivirus installed then a month later for whatever reason it wanted to take up 75% of my ram...

Thanks for the answers,

@Deshiel : Is there a way to find out? should i just look at the drivers or do i need to install a specific program? I also just can use a vaccuum cleaner to clean the pc (also on the inside)

@rawr1254 : No its not only those spammed particle effect or something like that, its even lagging when im just walking with no other players and no enemies nearby. I do have some anti virus, but i dont see in task manager that it takes a lot of memory or ram, so i dont think thats it.

6 minutes ago, Laimoon said:

Thanks for the answers,

@Deshiel : Is there a way to find out? should i just look at the drivers or do i need to install a specific program? I also just can use a vaccuum cleaner to clean the pc (also on the inside)

@rawr1254 : No its not only those spammed particle effect or something like that, its even lagging when im just walking with no other players and no enemies nearby. I do have some anti virus, but i dont see in task manager that it takes a lot of memory or ram, so i dont think thats it.

Never vacuum your pc. Use an air can or static-resistant cloth. (Q-tips are also okay, great for small areas)

I recommend you run a virus scan and clean files (never registry) with ccleaner. Make sure your system is using the correct gpu, if applicable.

I've never heard of an antivirus having that large of an impact unless it was conflicting with another real-time protection.

If the AV is running a scan while you are playing it can cause all sorts of lag, the game and the AV start to compete for access to the disc and CPU. There have been some late night gaming sessions where I start going "WTF?" As the game acts up because I forget it is set to scan when I'm normally not using the computer. Some AV software has settings to scan every hour, other security software have process scanning and require game folders to be put in exceptions so they aren't impacted, etc etc. It really depends on the software.

Also, when updating security software sometimes settings change, like firewall exception/rules. Really, at this point, your best bet is start removing possible culprints from the equation. If you do a thorough scan with your security software and nothing comes up, you can try starting the computer with a minimal boot and see how the game runs. If it is better, you know something on the computer during the normal boot is causing the issue (which is probably good, it means something non-essential is the problem). If it is still acting up, you have the barest of programs running so you can try to disable them one at a time and see if it makes any difference. 

Basically process of elimination.

I installed CCleaner, and cleaned things up. After that I played the game again, but after a few minutes it's lagging again, but actually less. After 10 minutes lagging, it was for a short time with a high fps again, but after that it started lagging again. 

I guess im going to clean the pc (not with a vaccuum cleaner then) and im going to try to disable some unimportant stuff and maybe a (minimal) boot.

But just for sure im going to repeat my problem again (maybe i didnt explain it well), because the problem isnt actually that my pc in general is slow, on other heavy programs it just works fine, but the actual problem is that only warframe suddenly is lagging and that there is a lot of variety when its lagging. Sometimes it's lagging, sometimes it has high fps (and those things are on the same circumstances in the game). maybe this clears some things up.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean a whole lot. With computers, and everything having dependencies on various other things it is quite common for something to be "problematic" but stem from other issues on the computer. Also certain hardware and software combinations don't always function as you would expect. Case in point, when I was running Win7 my TSW (The Secret World MMO) ran pretty damn well and I never experienced 90% of the issues people complained about. I then "upgraded" to the most recent version of Windows and started to experience all of them basically. Same hardware, full reinstall of the game, all updated drivers from a clean OS install.

The only thing you can do is try to narrow down what is causing it for you. That and if you aren't particularly good with computers, hope the issue is more widespread (as bad as that sounds) so someone who is has the same problems, figures it out and lets others know. Actually legitimately troubleshooting issues is a very long and annoying process (intermittent issues even more so as you can't reproduce them reliably), enough so that unless you have a reason for doing so, it is often just easier to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch.

Edited by Wopel

I had the same problem here and I am using a laptop to play on it. The shuttering si somehow caused of lag of your net (high ping)/and or PC. 

Can you tell the specs of your PC please?

When in warframe go to options -> HUD -> tick Show HUD and tick (if un-ticked) Show FPS, then, you will see your Frame rate, ping which is named for some reason "Time" and RAM being used.

You can also try to run this game in Directx 10. In warframe laucher click on gear button in right hand corner and tick directx 10 and then try it.

And also be sure to close any program's that are using your net's bandwith.

Edited by Hunger4Gaming