Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The proposed Banshee passive is an awful idea

Sixty5

Yeah, this passive definitely sounds super mediocre.  Unless there's something in the works to make gun noise levels meaningful outside of stealth missions, it's automatically useless in the substantial majority of gameplay that isn't Stealth; probably 70-90% of the game for most people.  Add to that that Banshee already has skills that mess with gun noise (albeit in a roundabout, "this badly needs updating" way), and it just gets more useless.  One of the nice things about the other "mod" passives like Ivara's and Equinox's is that they stack, and largely give you things you'd already want anyway.  This gives Banshee a redundant way to get something she's already pretty much got, vaguely simplifying her gameplay at the cost of ignoring how bland and dysfunctional her kit is as a whole.  Something like a minor reduction to enemy accuracy and perception would be cool, but basically almost anything other than what proposed would be better.

if u do not like auto hush weapons i got another idea

attacks that are not fatal do not alert enemies

basicly this means u could shoot a guy with bow (not kill him) and he keeps patrolling without knowing what happened

but if the gun is loud they would go into the "invesgetive mode" but not turn around and attack you

Edited by Hemmo67
missed a T

Never really understood the implying stealth play capability of this frame in the context of how she is mostly played.

Banshee was never a stealth frame for me. Because let´s be honest, the "Stealth System" in action is .. mediocre at best to start with. And her kit was always more "destroy with sound" instead of "being cunning with silence".

That said, think there are dozens of better passive suggestions in all the interwebz.

13 hours ago, Reitrahc said:

Thank you for literally making my exact point for why this passive is good for stealth.

With this passive, the only way to alert an enemy is to be seen by them, or to allow an enemy to sound the alarms. Remember that enemies that SEE another enemy die do not immediately become alerted. They enter a semi alerted state where they will become alerted if they see a player or take damage, but will not sound the alarm. As long as you kill any enemy that SEES you, you never have to deal with alarms. You seem to not be very experienced with playing stealthy, but it is a thing and it actually works, and the more you try it the more you'll get used to it. Silence on weapons is a MASSIVE difference.

What I am saying is that stealth is pretty much broken even with a silent weapon. Besides this passive will only change the gameplay if your teammates actually decide to do "stealth."

Banshee Passive Ideas :

Reverb : For 5 seconds after using an ability reduce enemy accuracy by X% for Y meters around Banshee dependant on her ability.  I.E. Tier 1 - 10% reduction within 15 M.  Tier 2. 15% reduction within 20M Tier 3 22.5% reduction within 30 M.  

Resonant Frequency : Enemies affected by banshee's abilities have a chance to be affected by a random effect.

Flesh - Organ Rupture - Causes a Bleed Dot and slows targets movement.

Armor - Shatter Armor - Projectiles have a X% chance to remove armor from a target.

Mechanical - Disruption - Causes shields to fail and machines to be temporarily incapacitated. 

Echolocation - Every time Banshee affects a target with an ability that target deals X% Less Damage and is Y% less accurate against her for 5 seconds.

Banshee's Wail - Targets affected by Banshee's abilities have a chance to enter a panicked state.

Sound Barrier - For 5 seconds after using an ability Banshee gains an over shield based on the number of targets affected by her abilities.  

Orrrrrrrrr...

wait for it

We see Banshee's passive as a method of fixing Silence like everyone wanted without making it too powerful, and we wait for it to be released and see if maybe Silence will get a cool new buff to compensate.

I mostly definitely see your point towards it being redundant, considering that Banshee already has an ability that makes gunfire silent, but as some people said, it's not very good for that at the moment anyways, so this passive might be DE's way of fixing that power without having to make Silence infinite range, but also still make it useful (just because enemies can't hear your gun doesn't mean they can't hear your squad's guns, other enemies' guns, explosive barrels, screams of death and battle, etc.).

Besides, isn't Silence usually used for a stun now anyways? Maybe they kind of thought that's what we wanted in order to fix the ability, and hey, there's still a chance that the power will get some sort of tweak after this.

TL;DR: Maybe Banshee's passive is DE trying to fix Silence according to what players have been complaining about. Let's wait for it to release and see how it fits in before criticizing too much.

2 hours ago, Vaxillian said:

What I am saying is that stealth is pretty much broken even with a silent weapon. Besides this passive will only change the gameplay if your teammates actually decide to do "stealth."

The stealth system is not broken at all, you just don't know how to use it properly. I'm able to zip through missions stealthily whether they are meant to be played stealth or not, because it's so much safer and easier to not have to worry about dying to alerted enemies all the time, and I get all that bonus affinity. If you don't want your teammates to ruin your stealth game, do the intelligent thing and set your matchmaking to solo or friends only. It's really easy to do, takes only a second, and no more idiots in your cell anymore.

Everyone in this thread that dislikes the passive just wants Banshee to get an OP passive. There are no OP passives in the entire game. Deal with it. At best they save a mod slot and give you a little QoL bonus.

Banshee main here.

While Banshee's suggested passive is a little redundant and not the most powerful, I can see it being incredibly useful. The difference will be subtle but still felt. Not all passives are powerful, but they bring an added element to a Warframe that effects the frame you choose and how you play. Valkyr's Limber, for example, doesn't help her kill things directly, but having her land lightly (keeping with the cat theme) is incredibly useful for continuing with the flow of battle uninterrupted. It also makes her an excellent Capture mission pick when combined with Ripline.

Onto Banshee. An incredibly powerful marksman, Banshee trades buttloads of damage and good CC for an immense fragility. She'll wreck high-level enemies in no time, but if she's not careful her enemies will quickly return the favor. And while Silence does share some traits with her passive, it is also regularly used for its active radial stun (many players use the ability for this more than anything).

One thing to note here is that there's a distinct difference between her new passive and Silence, since deaf enemies and a silent Warframe are two different things. With Silence, enemies in a radius are less responsive to all gunfire, not just Banshee's, and so the threat level of each Warframe drops equally. This means that Banshee is only less of a target if her foes don't have line of sight on her and do on an ally. With her new passive, Banshee will permanently be a lower threat level than the rest of her team under normal circumstances and when Silence is active. Enemies will be less likely to bother Banshee, period, leaving her free to unleash all her rifle damage while not needing to reposition as often. This might even enable Banshee to become a sort of rooftop sniper, aiding the battle from afar with an AR or sniper and her long-range support powers. It means Banshee could become equally viable at a variety of ranges, able to be unbothered while camping and still a little safer when close to the fray. This is actually starting to seem like a pretty strong ability, the more I think about it....

This also a nice, convenient nod to weapon modding, since it'll save you an extra slot (12% of your overall space on any weapon) if your weapon is noisy and you don't it to be. I've wished on many occasions I could make my assault rifle silent, but adding a Hush mod would mess with my crit build or reduce my damage, so I opt to just be loud and deal with more enemies coming to get me.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:58 AM, Sixty5 said:

Today we learned about a number of proposed Warframe passives, among them Banshee. Now Banshee is a frame that I used to play a lot of, though I have moved away from her in recent times due to her not feeling as good as she used to, but I digress.

Her proposed passive is innate silence on all of her weapons, which on the surface sounds kinda decent, I mean, she is a sound frame, and silence fits into her theme decently. 

However as a passive it doesn't do anything for her kit. Banshee already has a silence on her 3rd ability, along with the ability to either equip a bow (Which works rather well on Banshee) or run a mod like Hush, which you have the option to do so given the damage boost on your 2nd ability.

So what you end up with is a frame that already feels lacklustre getting a redundant passive, and honestly that just feels bad to me.

The other sad thing is that there is so much other cool stuff you could do with a sound based passive. 

Personally I'd like her passive have something to do with infrasound disrupting enemies, making them less perceptive and less accurate. That way you incorporate more of the sound theme into her kit as well as making her stealth a little more potent and giving her a bit more survivability, two areas that she currently lacks in.

Maybe I am just a salty old Banshee main, but I really hate the idea of Banshee getting stuck with an almost worthless passive, especially when you have stuff like Mesa and Inaros who have passives that work well with their kits, or frames like Mirage whose passives give them something you can't get elsewhere. 

It would be better if it Silenced everyones weapons in party passively maybe.

If her third ability could just really silence all the sounds in range but not just deafen the enemies, this passive is really redundant. It is not like it is bad, but it should be already in her 3rd, making this passive seems like a split up from an ability that should have been in Silence, not even mention the passive is redundant in non-stealth mission.

I suggest a passive that convert nearby noises into some kind of boost for her or for the whole team.

1 hour ago, SenorClipClop said:

Banshee main here.

While Banshee's suggested passive is a little redundant and not the most powerful, I can see it being incredibly useful. The difference will be subtle but still felt. Not all passives are powerful, but they bring an added element to a Warframe that effects the frame you choose and how you play. Valkyr's Limber, for example, doesn't help her kill things directly, but having her land lightly (keeping with the cat theme) is incredibly useful for continuing with the flow of battle uninterrupted. It also makes her an excellent Capture mission pick when combined with Ripline.

Onto Banshee. An incredibly powerful marksman, Banshee trades buttloads of damage and good CC for an immense fragility. She'll wreck high-level enemies in no time, but if she's not careful her enemies will quickly return the favor. And while Silence does share some traits with her passive, it is also regularly used for its active radial stun (many players use the ability for this more than anything).

One thing to note here is that there's a distinct difference between her new passive and Silence, since deaf enemies and a silent Warframe are two different things. With Silence, enemies in a radius are less responsive to all gunfire, not just Banshee's, and so the threat level of each Warframe drops equally. This means that Banshee is only less of a target if her foes don't have line of sight on her and do on an ally. With her new passive, Banshee will permanently be a lower threat level than the rest of her team under normal circumstances and when Silence is active. Enemies will be less likely to bother Banshee, period, leaving her free to unleash all her rifle damage while not needing to reposition as often. This might even enable Banshee to become a sort of rooftop sniper, aiding the battle from afar with an AR or sniper and her long-range support powers. It means Banshee could become equally viable at a variety of ranges, able to be unbothered while camping and still a little safer when close to the fray. This is actually starting to seem like a pretty strong ability, the more I think about it....

This also a nice, convenient nod to weapon modding, since it'll save you an extra slot (12% of your overall space on any weapon) if your weapon is noisy and you don't it to be. I've wished on many occasions I could make my assault rifle silent, but adding a Hush mod would mess with my crit build or reduce my damage, so I opt to just be loud and deal with more enemies coming to get me.

You just hit the sweet spot. People don't seem to realize that if your weapon is silenced, you don't build up aggro, which will definitely help a frame that is somewhat stealthy and heavily support orientated and who is considered squishy by some players too. I'd love to play with her now using a sonar build and my Vectis Prime dealing massive damage from afar.