Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Video-game hipstering or when you try to find your own style

Artekkor

In (online / competetive) video games when there are choices to be made, including: how to look like, how to act, what weapon / armor use... There are always the popular ones. The mainstream. The meta.

That one set armor that everyone else wears because it's either good or fashionable, that one weapon that everyone uses because it's so good... Or it's the other way around - meta becomes a mark of shame. Like Estoc in DkS3 right now.

It's became quiet clear to me with time that i'm like a gaming hipster. I'm almost never that guy. I rarely use popular things, because they either disqust me in one way or another, or because i'm afraid to lose my identity as a player of this game, become another generic one. Unless the lore and cosplay say otherwise that.

>That sad moment in Dark Souls when i'm invaded by the guy wearing same armor set as me

>That moment in CS GO when i find myself being screamed at for LITERALLY never using AK47, M4 or AWP but anything else instead.

>That moment someone calls me a Pro90

It becomes a matter of pride to me to play the game in my very own style be it with meta or agaisnt it, as long as i find it my thing. Find my reasons to play/not play like that, not because others say so.

If i use something underrated / underpowered - achieving success with it worth all the trouble.

If i use something overrated / overpowered - i will face the hate and even will kindly point out my own weaknesses and how to counter me because who else can tell that i suck at timing and reacting to flank-attacks.

I know this seems kinda "me me me" and i don't like it either, but this stuff has been bothering me for a while with people screaming at me "AUG sucks, why would you did you buy it?!" or me feeling depressed because every single other player in Dark Souls uses the same armor as i do tus causing a great identity crisis for me...

With that said - i'd like to hear if someone else has these issues, or it's just me being stuck in cognitive dissonance of wanting to be special, unique or simply myself, yet to find out to either be a player so generic it hurts my pride, or being criticized for it. Maybe some examples? Examples would be nice for my curiosity.

Sleight of Hand+Assassin+Stalker, or just Assassin and Stalker in general, ACR/MP7+Silencer/PP90/Type 95/Striker/USAS-12/L86+Thermal, MP9/dual FMG-9s, Support streaks. Anyone who uses those in MW3 can suck a fat one.

The DMR before BR got buffed to 4 burst kill in Halo 4 was pretty irritating as well. Also Promethean Vision, Active camo (as in the ability, not pickup), Plasma Pistol and overcharging it, and that stupidass armor mod that auto ejects from vehicle upon destruction, like what the hell? As if being in a vehicle is not advantageous enough, you get a free escape on a death that's completely justified for being a massive target.

But hey, at least there's the satisfaction that really, you've got nothing to lose and the other guy has everything to lose when he has the statistical advantage. That's always fun.