The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Chroma get a legit passive?

OzoneSlayer

3 minutes ago, OzoneSlayer said:

They have passives. Check the Wiki. Either you didn't know that or you don't know the definition of legit.:awkward:

heavy impact :P and a longer roll and people are complaining about chroma's energy color affecting powers to be fair equinox has a simiular thing but also has equaliberium so chroma having a new passive would be fun as a chroma main i welcome more passives on him but he would recive a large amount of complaining from people who main Rihno or instert frame name who did not get a "second passive"

Edited by hazerddex

Just now, hazerddex said:

heavy impact :P and a longer roll and people are complaining about chroma's energy color affecting powers to be fair equinox has a simiular thing but also has equaliberium so chroma having a new passive would be fun as a chroma main i welcome more passives on him but he would recive a large amount of complaining

Passives dont have to be game changing, I'm saying an ability mechanic isn't a passive, which a lot of people agree with. There is no reason equinox gets a passive when she can change her energy color AND change mid mission, while Chroma can't. Its completely unreasonable

1 hour ago, OzoneSlayer said:

I'm not ignoring that lol I'm just making sure your aware that chroma can actually avoid them, contrary to what you originally said. Any competent player (and I'm sure your one) won't be surprised by a HUGE GOLD BUBBLE. Come on man, if you let that obvious warning sign get near you without even noticing it that's pretty ridiculous if you ask me

So  can Valkyr. We have resources like the stealth lens, that's at least some time to use a ranged weapon for something, or just play dangerous and dive in to regular melee the nullifier. They don't take much damage to die.

As far as I am concerned Chroma does NOT have a passive yet. The whole "he can switch in the LISET" is NOT a passive. It's a mechanic that is necessary for his whole ability/kit to function properly. 

Equinox can switch in mission and have well over four abilities. Ivara and Vauban now have seven abilities too. All of those frames have legit passives on top of that (well not yet for Vauban but he WILL, it's been announced). Chroma's passive is "I can switch between the elements between missions but I still only get four abilities at a time". That's not a passive, that's just how Chroma's mechanics work and he gets the shaft hard. 

If he could somehow switch in the middle of a mission it would be a passive, but right now it's not. Chroma does not yet have one. They need to come up with one for him and add it into the game. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

1 hour ago, hazerddex said:

can rihno get a legit passive can mirage get a legit passive?

There's a difference between legit and good. A legit passive is something that is actually a passive, a good one is one that is useful. Those passives are arguably not all that useful, but they are actual passives. Chroma's is just an ability mechanic they are calling a passive. 

As a Chroma main, it makes me kinda sad when I always use 2/3, sometimes use Effigy (honestly, give it the armor it takes, let it be affected by VA, make it radiate Elemental Ward in a largish radius, and halve the energy cost. Boom, done. Oh, and let the player interact with it to have it follow them), and literally never use SS. 

Fuse Afterburn into the ability, change Afterburn mod to lay down elemental patches. Double base range of SS, and increase proc chance to 100% on first tick (just imagine awesome CC builds!).. Swap between current flamethrower breath and projectiles by holding the ability button.

Implement above Effigy changes.

Introduce passive where Chroma gains a third jump by flapping his wings once, is able to change elements in mission (through a Quiver style mechanic on Elemental Ward, pre-select what colors you want for your elements, and allow a change to happen while under the effect of the ability), and has built in Patagium (while aim-gliding, gain bonus of mod, as well as extending wings). Obviously, the jump passive wouldn't apply while Effigy is out.

Chroma is now a much more fun frame instead of straight-up DPS tank/semi-support.

On 5/16/2016 at 9:42 AM, PsiWarp said:

I hope he gets a proper passive! Here's an idea

Elemental Flight

- Bullet jump damage has a second instance (separate from bullet jump mods) that matches the chosen element.

- Aim-glide lasts longer and his pelt wings are visible when in midair.

Yes. This. A thousand times this. His wings being visible in mid air would be the hypest thing on the planet. Maybe some passive dmg reduction while air gliding as well.

On 5/21/2016 at 3:09 PM, Geraion said:

So  can Valkyr. We have resources like the stealth lens, that's at least some time to use a ranged weapon for something, or just play dangerous and dive in to regular melee the nullifier. They don't take much damage to die.

And lose the only thing she has over chroma and die in one hit by misfire. Every frame can exploit a broken mechanic that is sure to be nerfed to oblivion.

9 hours ago, OzoneSlayer said:

And lose the only thing she has over chroma and die in one hit by misfire. Every frame can exploit a broken mechanic that is sure to be nerfed to oblivion.

And everyone can make mistakes and get hit in the face by stray whatever.

Either way, this isn't a pissing contest. Chroma needs a proper passive, so I agree on that, but Chroma is NOT a poor frame. However, the way some people talk about him, it feels like he must be the best at most things. Best tank, high damage while being best tank, blah blah noone else can be better! Some frames are situationally a lot better than others at doing certain things, and frankly, that's fine. If I didn't like Chroma (which I do), but like Valkyr instead, then nothing is better than her, because she does what I want her to do, and I play around her shortcomings. Same for everyone else and their favorite frame.

And nerf to what? How is it broken when she gets instantly blown up if a mistake is made and oops, nullifier, ya ded. Same S#&$ can happen to every single frame relying on self-buffing/channeled abilities. Nerfing lenses? Why have they not been touched yet if it's so broken?

33 minutes ago, Geraion said:

And nerf to what? How is it broken when she gets instantly blown up if a mistake is made and oops, nullifier, ya ded. Same S#&$ can happen to every single frame relying on self-buffing/channeled abilities. Nerfing lenses? Why have they not been touched yet if it's so broken?

Shadow step. Now that melee can get 100% crit chance every hit procs berserker, every hit turns you invisible, and every hit does 4x Damage

On 5/20/2016 at 3:29 AM, Geraion said:

And Frost is a better group pick than Chroma. Chroma's tankiness is ONLY for himself and a small armor bonus for allies who stick to him constantly. The mod is in my opinion, not worth it, as it is a slot used to make yourself tankier (or faster in the case of something like Armored Agility). That armor does next to nothing later, and you shoot yourself in the foot by using effigy, as it reduces armor by quite a lot. Arcanes on any frame with a good fit can do great things, not just Chroma. Same for the lenses. Near-permastealth Excal is grand. And with decent range in Radial Blind, it's neat team support. Of course Mirage is better at the blinding.

Valkyr will still tank more damage than Chroma can, because she can't die. They're susceptible to the same threat in nullifiers. But sure, Chroma can do more damage with the Vex armor boost. I don't see how a frame personally mitigating the damage is somehow better than entirely voiding it, like Frost or Rhino/Valkyr.. As far as tanks go, Chroma is not the best. As far damage-dealing tanks go, then we can talk.

And I do like Chroma.

What does frost have to do with any of this?
If the mod is worth it or not is up to individuals. i dont like it but because I think his aura's are far to weak to slot him for that reason. I think you are nuts if you dont think chromas ice armor does anything later, its a huige boost up untill hes getting one shot anyhow, which is a long long time into a t4 endless. Chroma and Inaros have probably the biggest boosts from arcanes. With chroma it turns him into a god tank that has self healing. I think you need to try it if possible, My chroma is sporting a arcane guardian set along with an arcane grace set. It turns him into a literal monster. 

Valkyr is also limited to melee only damage while Chroma is not. That is huge. Nullifier hurt valk far more because Chroma is fighting at range and can (with the proper weapon) shred the bubbles before they become a problem while VAlk is forced to melee the bubbles which takes time and leaves you open to other nullifiers. Chroma can do ALOT more damage than valk, its not even in the same ballpark.

As for mitigation. With the proper build and arcane support Chroma will still be standing long after a rhino has blown his energy pool on iron skin, not to mention even with his augment IS gets to a point where it still melts at high content. Same with frosts bubble, but its even worse than IS because it doesnt have a augment to give it more armor. Thats why mitigation in chromas case is far better than anything but true unlimited invuln.

Chroma is the second best tank, along with being the highest damage tank. 

Now Im probably making it sound like chroma has no problems, and thats not the case. Hes one dimensional and only one build really wroks for him. He pretty needs arcane support to function at higher content and has two of the worst powers in the game, effigy and spectral scream. He has problems, but hes also very damn good at his ONE role. Damage tank. 

Chroma is my main and goto frame along with Control Frost for most sorties and endless content. But he does need alot of work.

I completely agree that Chroma needs a real passive. It doesn't need to be game breaking. What Chroma needs is a tuning. His abilities fit thematically but SS and Effigy fall short. Some number and mechanic changes are all he really needs along with a complete change to his element system which is not a passive. 

I posted this a short time ago, I included the passive idea with one of my own. Give it a read if you want:

On 5/22/2016 at 10:43 AM, BattledOne said:

Make him use his wings to make a stronger mid-air jump and maybe allow him to repeat the mid-air jump ad-infinity, with like a 1 second cooldown and a small energy cost starting from a second jump.

yes while aim gliding

9 hours ago, OzoneSlayer said:

Shadow step. Now that melee can get 100% crit chance every hit procs berserker, every hit turns you invisible, and every hit does 4x Damage

And? It takes quite a while to get that running. First use a full lens to enable Shadow Step and the +crit, if it's even upgraded that far (not everyone has everything, some people are new or haven't bothered), then get your stacks up and KEEP them there. It's sometimes easier said than done depending on how far into a T4 survival (f.ex.) you are, if your stealth drops while you're doing the thing and something sees you quick enough to just stain your corpse on the floor, then that's those things gone pretty quickly. Sure, that's somewhat bad planning as you should try to get the stealth long enough to hit the life support and then hit faces to keep things going.

But still, people can make mistakes. It's not broken. It's strong for sure, but not broken or OP. It makes a lot of melee viable that wasn't before, in tandem with body count/blood rush, but those are still 2 mod slots that could go to elemental damage or other good mods.

8 hours ago, WARLOCKE said:

What does frost have to do with any of this?
If the mod is worth it or not is up to individuals. i dont like it but because I think his aura's are far to weak to slot him for that reason. I think you are nuts if you dont think chromas ice armor does anything later, its a huige boost up untill hes getting one shot anyhow, which is a long long time into a t4 endless. Chroma and Inaros have probably the biggest boosts from arcanes. With chroma it turns him into a god tank that has self healing. I think you need to try it if possible, My chroma is sporting a arcane guardian set along with an arcane grace set. It turns him into a literal monster. 

Valkyr is also limited to melee only damage while Chroma is not. That is huge. Nullifier hurt valk far more because Chroma is fighting at range and can (with the proper weapon) shred the bubbles before they become a problem while VAlk is forced to melee the bubbles which takes time and leaves you open to other nullifiers. Chroma can do ALOT more damage than valk, its not even in the same ballpark.

As for mitigation. With the proper build and arcane support Chroma will still be standing long after a rhino has blown his energy pool on iron skin, not to mention even with his augment IS gets to a point where it still melts at high content. Same with frosts bubble, but its even worse than IS because it doesnt have a augment to give it more armor. Thats why mitigation in chromas case is far better than anything but true unlimited invuln.

Chroma is the second best tank, along with being the highest damage tank. 

Now Im probably making it sound like chroma has no problems, and thats not the case. Hes one dimensional and only one build really wroks for him. He pretty needs arcane support to function at higher content and has two of the worst powers in the game, effigy and spectral scream. He has problems, but hes also very damn good at his ONE role. Damage tank. 

Chroma is my main and goto frame along with Control Frost for most sorties and endless content. But he does need alot of work.

I think you misunderstood. I mean the buff for -allies- doesn't really do much good. For Chroma itself it's grand.

Short supply of arcanes for my part, since I don't have raiding partners. Small-&#! clan, and a friend and I are the most active members, so...

Sure, Chroma's the second best tank, and his damage is high. Overall, he is a selfish tank though, compared to Frost, which is also a factor depending on the content. Not saying selfish is bad as such, depends what you're doing. If you prefer solo play or have team-mates that can play around you using Chroma, go for it, I prefer doing my own thing as well.

I'd contend that Effigy isn't one of the worst things... The cc it provides on a short delay is nice if you need it to either res someone and not get kaboom'd instantly. It doesn't make it good or decent, don't get me wrong, but it's not the worst. Spectral Scream is. Never used that crap.

Chroma could be so awesome with some changes, but not overpowered, and I think that's also the problem. He's good now with only 2 and 3, so how to change that so he feels more broad in terms of use and appeal? A proper passive would be a good place to start, but what then?

Just to note; the elemental change isn't necessarily a passive when regarding the upcoming update passives, as the elemental change is part of his design philosophy, as well as influences his abilities do.

His actual passive is his pelt's ability to increase credit drop chance from enemies killed.

1 hour ago, HalfDarkShadow said:

Just to note; the elemental change isn't necessarily a passive when regarding the upcoming update passives, as the elemental change is part of his design philosophy, as well as influences his abilities do.

His actual passive is his pelt's ability to increase credit drop chance from enemies killed.

That's not a passive that's part of the ability. An example of a passive:

Excalibur's passive works with his ultimate, but he doesn't have to use abilities to use his passive

3 hours ago, OzoneSlayer said:

That's not a passive that's part of the ability. An example of a passive:

Excalibur's passive works with his ultimate, but he doesn't have to use abilities to use his passive

Meh, either way, Chroma still has a few things going for him. At least regarding this upcoming update, the batch of announced Warframes I believe all have currently nothing.

Also just to clarify, I'm not saying that Warframes like Chroma, Zephyr, and whatnot can't get an additional passive (there are definitely some Warframes I think need a bit more "umph"), but it seems to suggest that the focus is on the former.

In Chroma's case, he already has quite a bit to work off of that DE decided not to include him. Regardless of what anyone thinks really. But hey, maybe some of those not-so-new but not-so-old Warframes will get another review sooner or later! Especially if more discussions of interest like this are frequent~