Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Con need help pls

(XBOX)SlohLane

Question

Hello, im wanting too make a last minute plan to head too TennoCon, and have a few questions that maybe some east coast folks and some canadian folks could answer for me. 

1. do you need a passport too enter into canada?

i know this is pretty dumb question but as most of my traveling was done a decade ago you didnt always need a passport too go to some places.

i knew mexico was one and i was under the influence canada was a place only a birth certificate or photo id was needed.

2. Would it be best too fly i to flint michigan and make a 3 hour treck over too london or just pay the extra too fly in or around to the london area?

3. Is there any train options from any border towns that would take me too london ontario?

7 answers to this question

1. Yes. You always need a passport when travelling internationally. Depending on which country you're from, you may also need to get a visa. If you are a United States citizen, a Passport Card or Enhanced Driver's License can also allow entry into Canada. (Note: an Enhanced Driver's License and Passport Card is not acceptable when travelling by air; you always need a Passport Book when travelling by air.)

2. Can't give you any recommendations. There are a lot of alternative ways you can get to London Ontario (such as Greyhound Bus, ViaRail Trains, etc) once you're on the Canadian side of the fence. Fastest and shortest way would obviously be to fly to London Ontario, and the additional cost may wind up being about the same as the train/bus tickets needed anyway.

3. Yes, both Sarnia Ontario and Windsor Ontario (the two border towns between Michigan and Canada) have train services which take about an hour and a half to reach London Ontario. If you plan on using the train, you should book your tickets in advance to secure seating and get the best price available.

Get a passport card and apply this week and you should be good to go. They cost about $65 to get a new one. I was going to drive but i dont live that too far away, its about a 7 hour drive so its cheaper than flying for me, but if you live farther away you may want to fly

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Listed mia 510 said:

i guess from here the only real question i have is whats the difference between a passport and passport card?

ive never really heard much about a passport card.. I feel naive saying this as i have traveled to europe and a few different places in my time.

It's a card, similar to a Driver's license, that allows limited international travel from the United States. I believe it can be used to travel to Canada, Mexico, Carribean and Bermuda by land or sea, but it cannot be used for international air travel (so if you get a passport card you will need to fly to Detroit MI, Flint MI or Buffalo NY and take a bus across the border into Canada.

At this point in time, unless you fork over the cash to expedite it, odds are you won't have a passport in time to travel to Canada for TennoCon. It's essentially the end of May, and most passport processing tends to take roughly 6-8 weeks, unless you pay extra to speed it up. It's definitely not cheap though.

Awesome guys thank you for coming too my aid here. Im dead set on getting there. I really want too experience this and am  going too do it in an endurance kind of way, maybe a couple red eye trips if ya know what i mean.

i guess from here the only real question i have is whats the difference between a passport and passport card?

ive never really heard much about a passport card.. I feel naive saying this as i have traveled to europe and a few different places in my time.

Edited by (XB1)Listed mia 510

1 hour ago, Letter13 said:

It's a card, similar to a Driver's license, that allows limited international travel from the United States. I believe it can be used to travel to Canada, Mexico, Carribean and Bermuda by land or sea, but it cannot be used for international air travel (so if you get a passport card you will need to fly to Detroit MI, Flint MI or Buffalo NY and take a bus across the border into Canada.

Much abblidged fellow Tenno! Even though i may not know it when i see you i hope too see you at the Con!!

if i make it it will be my first con ever.

oh no i think im awaking a monster.. :stalker:

Edited by (XB1)Listed mia 510

On 5/24/2016 at 8:49 PM, (XB1)Listed mia 510 said:

Hello, im wanting too make a last minute plan to head too TennoCon, and have a few questions that maybe some east coast folks and some canadian folks could answer for me. 

1. do you need a passport too enter into canada?

i know this is pretty dumb question but as most of my traveling was done a decade ago you didnt always need a passport too go to some places.

i knew mexico was one and i was under the influence canada was a place only a birth certificate or photo id was needed.

2. Would it be best too fly i to flint michigan and make a 3 hour treck over too london or just pay the extra too fly in or around to the london area?

3. Is there any train options from any border towns that would take me too london ontario?

Hey, I wanted to help you out a little bit. I used to live in Flint, Michigan, actually. It's a little more than three hours away. You could also fly to Toronto. But if flying to London is the same price, go directly to London. If you absolutely need to fly to Michigan before, Detroit's airport is much closer to the border than Flint's Bishop airport is. Detroit's airport is only 30 minutes away from Windsor, Ontario. I'm pretty sure, since Detroit's and Toronto's airports are huge, that flying to those places may be less expensive.

1. You do need a passport. You asked what the difference is between the passport book and the passport card. If you're planning to go to more than just Canada (or Mexico), a passport book allows you "access" to additional countries. They've tightened up a little on the entry, but as long as cover your tracks (have enough money, maybe a hotel, etc.) and answer the person in a concise manner, you should be fine.

2. Flying is an option.Taking a bus is also an option whether you fly to Toronto, or fly to Detroit and drive to Windsor. I've always driven. I'm in Ypsilanti, and I can make it to London in under a tank of gas.

3. VIA Rail is the main rail that would take you from Windsor to London, or Toronto to London. I got an estimate on their site, and the lowest fare for Windsor to London is $37.

I hope all of this makes sense. Sometimes when I write, it can be a jumbled mess.

Edited by YpsitheFlintsider
Adding more information