The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe needs more TANKS WITH LEGS!

MonkeyWaffles

... as in the vein of Ghost in the Shell and Front Mission. Here are a few probable examples (all art courtesy of myself)

Grineer Walker

Armaments:

• 1 Primary Railgun
  • 6 Cluster Munitions Array
  • 2 Anti Tank Missiles
  • 1 Laser Point Defense System
  • 2 Arm-mounted Machine Guns

Spoiler

Corpus Arachnid

Armaments:

• 2 Head-mounted 'Stinger' Mahchine Guns
  • 6 Arm-mounted Beam Cannons
  • 2 Leg-mounted Missile Swarm Array

Spoiler

Mutalist Walker (Infested Version of an older-type Walker)

Armaments:

• 1 Mutalist Cannon
  • 2 Gas Extruder Array

Spoiler

255880_1926123987544_7691406_o.jpg

There are videos that have more detail for the first two; will post if there's actually enough interest in this topic.

Any CC / feedback appreciated.

Maybe as a boss enemy, but without those stupid invulnerability phases to make it more varied in terms of gameplay. They should have weakspots with destroyable armour too.

But I'd like to see them being generally large enough to be unable to fit into small corridors and tunnels, so that players can effectively use cover and use at least some sort of tactics against them. The battle in Binary Domain against the Spider was a good example (video below) of a well-done boss.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, SoanoS said:

Maybe as a boss enemy, but without those stupid invulnerability phases to make it more varied in terms of gameplay. They should have weakspots with destroyable armour too.

Actually the design of the grineer-type walking mech (the 1st one) is supposed to have removable armor (those plates on the legs and the lower front), that the mech can use as shielding, but can also be removed by explosive bolts when needed (the silver circular studs holding them in place).

Some of said details in the video below for the 4-Legged Walker:

Spoiler

Here's a bit more detail on the Arachnid-Type Walker (its cluster rockets and stinger guns):

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, Twistedsparkle said:

Yes!!! also some sort of ground vehicle/mech to fight these?
maybe a variation of archwing? could be really really cool :333

definitely dig ground based vehicles like the archwing; maybe either an exosuit or a hoverbike-type.

I kinda feel like the Arachnid should be the grineer one since it's much more round and bulbous like grineer ships, weapons and Archwing enemies. might need a few random antennae or loose tubing as well as the right paintjob to fit right in. I also noticed almost nothing in warframe has wheels like the Arachnid, doesn't mean we can't put it in but wheels are curiously absent in this universe. The Grineer Walker could fit in with the Corpus aesthetic if it was a little more angular like a Bursa or a Gox. Though many corpus proxies have soft curves here and there, the curvy bits look more like armor plates fitted onto an angular and mechanical body kinda like the Walker but more formfitting. 

That being said, I really like the concept and designs. I think having special Tiles for a boss/mini-boss fight would solve some of the issues with the tanks not fitting in most normal tilesets.

+1

7 minutes ago, GrandMAsterDan said:

I kinda feel like the Arachnid should be the grineer .... The Grineer Walker could fit in with the Corpus aesthetic if it was a little more angular...

Good point. I inititally went with the Grinner Walker / Corpus Arachnid grouping because the Walker is more of a mechanical vehicle type complete with a pilot which is very Grineer (plus the nomenclature based on its method of motion: Roller rolls, Walker Walks), while the Arachnid is more of a robotic type inspired by animals which is very Corpus (again, based on the nomenclature; Corpus bots are often based on animals and animal names: Lynx, Osprey, Arachnid?)

I guess they both can be swapped with each other with only some tweaks to the styling. :D

12 hours ago, SoanoS said:

But I'd like to see them being generally large enough to be unable to fit into small corridors and tunnels, so that players can effectively use cover and use at least some sort of tactics against them. The battle in Binary Domain against the Spider was a good example (video below) of a well-done boss.

Hide contents

Oh God yes... I remember that fight, I shot all its legs off... that was fun. 

Actually, that would be a awesome boss fight for Warframe. Like the Jordas Golem (assassination, not trial), minus the BS, Archwings, and 2x BS.

Hmm, but you are forgetting one crucial detail to these mechs, MORE GUNS. Knowing the Grineer and the Grustag Three, they would of course put more guns to overwhelm the Tenno, with a giant cannon to blow them up even when in cover. For the Corpus, they would have Void Energy Nullifer Generators, meaning that through the whole fight, you will not be able to rely on your powers, as well as having Light Flux Turrets to provide covering fire. (The same kind of Flux rifle that shoots lasers.) and lastly, the Infested should have a mixture of these 2 mechs as they are more likely to capture vehicles.