Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

going to buy the GTX 1080

lightdragon64

like i said, i'm going to buy the nvida GTX 1080, however i wasn't planning on buying the founders edition of it because i don't see a point in spending an additional 100$ on a graphics card that looks slightly different from the default one, i know there is a normal version of the 1080, however i can't seem to find it, the one that costs 599$ rather than the 699$ that is sold out literally everywhere...

does anybody know where i could either pre-order or buy the normal one right now? and i don't mean the founders one for reasons stated above.

47 minutes ago, taiiat said:

wait a couple months so that there's actually anything to buy.

buying anything right now is a mistake.

yea wasn't planning on buying it right now... espically off of ebay... the founders version is of no intrest to me, i want one with a better cooling system... that and the fact that people are trying to price gouge the thing for more than twice its value... No thank you...

Edited by lightdragon64

On 5/28/2016 at 11:04 PM, Jeffrey94 said:

People actually have this kind of money to spend on something which will be obsolete in 2 years?

by that logic, buying a Graphics Card, ever - is a waste and you should never do it.

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

by that logic, buying a Graphics Card, ever - is a waste and you should never do it.

Fair point. But there's a difference between buying a graphics card and buying a graphics card which costs the same as an entire computer

31 minutes ago, Jeffrey94 said:

But there's a difference between buying a graphics card and buying a graphics card which costs the same as an entire computer

if you want high end performance, those are the sorts of GPU's you buy.
buying low end GPU's allows playability, but some people are looking for more than just playability, but also pretty visuals and consistent performance.

and FYI - buying high end GPU's actually costs less in the long run. if you buy the $200-250 GPU every year or two, you're spending more money in total than if you buy a blistering edge GPU every couple of generations.

1 minute ago, taiiat said:

if you want high end performance, those are the sorts of GPU's you buy.
buying low end GPU's allows playability, but some people are looking for more than just playability, but also pretty visuals and consistent performance.

and FYI - buying high end GPU's actually costs less in the long run. if you buy the $200-250 GPU every year or two, you're spending more money in total than if you buy a blistering edge GPU every couple of generations.

Ehh, I'm more the type who would get the $200-250 GPU and run it till the metaphorical wheels come off. Given the console-centric nature of the industry these days, that just makes sense to me.

But hey, to each their own I guess

OP dont buy now, wait till AIB Partners release ones with better coolers and power delivery. The "founders edition" has poor cooling and power delivery which severely limits its OCability and ability to maintain peak clocks. If you buy now  itd be really stupid as youd be paying more for a lesser card of the same model. Right now the leaks of AIBs are looking to be FAR better than the reference 1080, espescially the Zotac with 16+3 phase VRMs and others with similar over the top power delivery. 

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey94 said:

Ehh, I'm more the type who would get the $200-250 GPU and run it till the metaphorical wheels come off. Given the console-centric nature of the industry these days, that just makes sense to me.

But hey, to each their own I guess

Buying a top of the line or as top as you can is a far better idea. My 6970s lasted me nearly 5yrs because i forked out for the best at the time, right now im rocking  270x because i got it used for 100$ but when i can ill be going top end again (waiting to see how polaris/vega look)to squeeze out another 5+yrs out of a gpu, then maybe toss a second in when theyre 100$ and wait even longer.

Same reason i didnt skimp out on the rest of my system, building a system to last 6-8yrs vs 2 is a far wiser investment.

Edited by Echoa