Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does Mag's Magnetize work?

Yokoshima_Onikiba

Question

I am confused as to how this skill works. I was testing on some level 30ish Grineer with a Tigris. The sheet damage is ~ 17k/shot. My ability radius is ~21m. My listed damage multiplier is 3.5. I cast the ability and kill 3 or 4 with two shots from the Tigris. Then it detonates. MoBs within 6-10m of the explosion usually take under 1k in damage.  The description led me to believe it would be 25% of the damage, but even ignoring the 3.5x bonus this isn't even close, even with damage diminishing over the distance. There were no obstacles in the way of any MoB.

I also tested on infested of about the same level with the same gear, and even though I would kill a few MoBs, the DoT was in the range of 200-400 damage/s after two shots. So that seems really low as well. 

17 minutes ago, Prinny13 said:

1. If you use the right element against right faction you will deal serious damage.

2. There seems to be a bug that don't account/ benefit from some weapons :/

And i hope this video (with poor quality) helps you in a way.

Thanks for the response, but that video didn't really show off the DoT nor the explosion, the two things I have a problem with. And for damage type I was using Corrosive vs. the Grineer and gas vs. the infested. I will test with another weapon though.

Ok, with a 180% power strength, the DoT is 22-30 until the ability expires, the damage begins once you use Polarize which deals around 200-400 damage and the explosion deals around 3500 damage without elements usage but just abilities and on level 30 Grineer.

Here is video, i hope it shows you what you want:

And something else for giggles :

Edited by Prinny13

I know the base DoT is low, but I thought 25% of the weapon damage you do is added to that DoT. Does it just add it for only one tic? Is it bugged? Simply poorly written? Because without that it can't be an offensive barrier (one thing I wanted to do with it). Using another weapon I got the explosion to be 3-5k at ~30% of the abilities radius, but that is still a far cry from what it should be (I put 75k sheet damage in, obviously that ignores crit chance/damage) which means I also can't utilize a bomber build;d (- duration as much as possible, + power in case the multiplier effects explosion damage, + range. I haven't tested if polarize works at the listed rate (25% of damage dealt) but it's so pitifully low (700 right now for me) that it would not change anything even if it did work as listed.

The explosion occurs when the target of magnetize dies, any damage afterwards may or may not add up to the final explosion damage (probably would tho). The aoe is decent and you can reach hundreds of thousands of damage from the explosion afterwards depending on the amount of shots that went into it. Although I tested this all against level 115 heavy gunners and killed the main target in one long magnetize. maybe around 10s worth of magnetize. Highest I got after killing a heavy gunner and continued shooting was around 200k.

Didnt notice the DoT since I just went and shot them after magnetizing them. Gonna test it out tomorrow some more if the damage increase the more you shoot at it even if the main target is dead.

Yes it does increase DoT but it seems Gas and Viral are the way to go since these 2 types keeps on proccing, also they do more damage but a tad bit also Punch through may be bugged since weapons with it seems to hit multiple times.

Also Magnetize gets buffed up by Polarize by alot so you need to use Polarize after Magnetize for more damage! 

I have no clue dude, I have extremely low duration and I've never witnessed magnetize actually exploding, though I haven't tested in the simulacrum, only through normal gameplay. I was fairly excited for the rework but as it seems right now the bubbles just stay there forever (even after I kill the target) and block bullets.

20 minutes ago, xShun said:

The explosion occurs when the target of magnetize dies, any damage afterwards may or may not add up to the final explosion damage (probably would tho). The aoe is decent and you can reach hundreds of thousands of damage from the explosion afterwards depending on the amount of shots that went into it. Although I tested this all against level 115 heavy gunners and killed the main target in one long magnetize. maybe around 10s worth of magnetize. Highest I got after killing a heavy gunner and continued shooting was around 200k.

Didnt notice the DoT since I just went and shot them after magnetizing them. Gonna test it out tomorrow some more if the damage increase the more you shoot at it even if the main target is dead.

Hmm. I used a - duration build and, having only tested with the drakgoon and Tigres, I couldn't get over 4k despite doing well over 70k damage before the 3.5x multiplier. And that's with killing multiple MoBs. If the absorbed damage only applies to the initial MoB hit with the skill that is very annoying indeed.

17 minutes ago, out_of_touch said:

I have no clue dude, I have extremely low duration and I've never witnessed magnetize actually exploding, though I haven't tested in the simulacrum, only through normal gameplay. I was fairly excited for the rework but as it seems right now the bubbles just stay there forever (even after I kill the target) and block bullets.

It stays for the total duration of you skill after the target dies. Reduce your duration to ~ 20% and you will see it go off. My guess is it is this way so you have to choose between a small, persistent DoT or a large one time DD skill.

On 5/28/2016 at 1:43 PM, Yokoshima_Onikiba said:

1. If you use the right element against right faction you will deal serious damage.

2. There seems to be a bug that don't account/ benefit from some weapons :/

-snip- ? (idk need to know my forum etiquette)

I agree the element damage varies based on what type of enemy you're facing.

I bet there are bugs that are not taken into account but I'm not really sure about that

I tried it on some bomards and a swarm of fusion moa's lvl 120 and took them out with the explosion

Besides the radiation elemental damage I have no idea why so I made a video

with low duration, high range and okay power strength

This happened at 1:10.. kinda hard to read though

qKt3orm.png

Edited by Rodee7
typo

2 hours ago, Rodee7 said:

-snip- ? (idk need to know my forum etiquette)

I agree the element damage varies based on what type of enemy you're facing.

I bet there are bugs that are not taken into account but I'm not really sure about that

I tried it on some bomards and a swarm of fusion moa's lvl 120 and took them out with the explosion

Besides the radiation elemental damage I have no idea why so I made a video

with low duration, high range and okay power strength

This happened at 1:10.. kinda hard to read though

qKt3orm.png

I need to do more testing it seems.  Using the same weapon I get nowhere near that kind of damage. Its OK modded, but not that good  (still have an empty slot) I also don't test there (as I can't) and my MoB level is ~30 with 3-4 at a time usually, and I only cast the skill once, with no other skills for my tests. But I am happy to see it can be made to work in some scenarios.  I usually get a few K of damage at ~38% duration going full auto 'till it explodes. Could even be an elevation issue I am overlooking or something. I'll test again, and make a vid if it is still an issue. 

Edited by Yokoshima_Onikiba

Been playing around with some builds honestly from what I've found you don't really even need power str to make magnetize nuke. Even with 40% power str it still capable of taking on sortie level enemies it basically nyxs absorb logic the more to shoot into it the more damage it will do once it detonates. Personally found range/duration build to work best since it lets you lock down pretty large areas.

9 hours ago, Nazzami said:

Been playing around with some builds honestly from what I've found you don't really even need power str to make magnetize nuke. Even with 40% power str it still capable of taking on sortie level enemies it basically nyxs absorb logic the more to shoot into it the more damage it will do once it detonates. Personally found range/duration build to work best since it lets you lock down pretty large areas.

I've been, on level one MoBs, putting in over 50K sheet damage (so no modifiers such as damage bonus from the skill, no crits, etc.)  and getting explosions that average 300-2000 at the high end. I used the Karak Wraith, Tigres, and the Drakgoon. What really annoys me is a single shot from my Karak Wraith does ~ 400+ damage to the MoBs, but with 235% range and the MoB being under 10m away from the center my 72 rounds I fired into it only does 400-500 damage most of the time. Anyone know a good place to upload a video other than youtube? Maybe something like a dropbox? I honestly don't know what's allowed here. 

Ok I have some screen shots. And a laggy video if someone wants it.  This is the weapon:

RyJJFsl.jpg

Build:

EIwlJrE.jpg

DoT with two shots fired into it:

RJotBbA.jpg

Explosion with two shots:

hjCMfKA.png

Explosion with 6 shots

5JLpRN6.jpg

Another Explosion with 6 shots

z1Cfr0W.jpg

So from what I can tell the DoT just doesn't do what I expected and I have no idea how that damage is calculated. The 6 shot DoT was 360-450. I think when the initial targets dies, no more damage can be absorbed. Or there is something else that explains it that I just overlooked.  

My video capture is crap/laggy af, but I can upload it if anyone can recommend a good place aside from youtube to do that.

I've tested with a few other weapons and have gotten similar results. The AoE is often less than 25%, and the DoT is much, much less. I can provide screenshots if requested.  I would also like to reiterate that I am not saying the skill is weak/op/bugged. I am just trying to find out how it works. On the wiki the description changed to: " Additionally, the field deals 10 / 15 / 20 / 25% of absorbed damage per second to all enemies in range. " Can anyone confirm that means 25% of the current damage is dealt as a 25% burst damage within? As in if you do 1k damage, 250 damage will be distributed among the rest within the skills AoE only once, not as a DoT as was once implied. As to why the explosion damage is also lower than expected I have no idea.  Assuming 100% (base) PS, and you put in 10k damage, I would assume it would do 5K in an AoE, or 10k (if the damage multiplier is taken into account). However, even on lower level MoBs right next to it, I still do not see more than 3k with 30k in. Stronger weapons, most notably on higher level MoBs, do increase the explosion damage. Just not at the rate I would expect from the wiki/skill's description.

Is my math somehow wrong? I use .25x(Bx(2x(1 + S))) or .25x((BxM)x(2x(1+S))) where B is the base damage listed on the card, taking into account no crits etc, S is your power strength, and M is the skills innate damage multiplier. And to define M I would use M = 2x(1+S). 

On 5/30/2016 at 7:49 PM, Yokoshima_Onikiba said:

Ok I have some screen shots. And a laggy video if someone wants it.  This is the weapon:

RyJJFsl.jpg

Build:

EIwlJrE.jpg

DoT with two shots fired into it:

RJotBbA.jpg

Explosion with two shots:

hjCMfKA.png

Explosion with 6 shots

5JLpRN6.jpg

Another Explosion with 6 shots

z1Cfr0W.jpg

So from what I can tell the DoT just doesn't do what I expected and I have no idea how that damage is calculated. The 6 shot DoT was 360-450. I think when the initial targets dies, no more damage can be absorbed. Or there is something else that explains it that I just overlooked.  

My video capture is crap/laggy af, but I can upload it if anyone can recommend a good place aside from youtube to do that.

Where is your damage?
All I see is affinity gains.

Damage multiplier is applied to magnetized enemy 

Magnetize is charged up similarly to absorb/antimatter drop.  The DOT is calculated as a portion of the damage absorbed (.25) per second

The zone explodes after duration runs out AND the targeted enemy is dead. ( if enemy isnt dead, the zone doesnt pop for damage)

1 hour ago, Souldend78 said:

Where is your damage?
All I see is affinity gains.

Small grey numbers by the MoBs (not over them) For example the last pic says "1569". I wish I could change the font/size/color of the damage, it would make this much easier. If you have trouble reading the numbers I can tell you what is in each pic, or better yet someone else would. 

48 minutes ago, hukurokuju5 said:

Damage multiplier is applied to magnetized enemy 

Magnetize is charged up similarly to absorb/antimatter drop.  The DOT is calculated as a portion of the damage absorbed (.25) per second

The zone explodes after duration runs out AND the targeted enemy is dead. ( if enemy isnt dead, the zone doesnt pop for damage)

I know all of this, as I have said a few times in this thread.  My issue is 127 =/= (.25*(27142.6)). Or, if you prefer 127 =/= 6785.65.  Either that or these level 1-5 MoBs have much more armor than I realised. Also, in case you don't know where I got those numbers and hate reading they are from my screenshots. Two shots of my Tigris has a listed damage of 27142.6. As you can see the MoB entering the field took 127 damage from the DoT. Sorry if I came off as rude, but I feel as if I spent most of my time in this thread repeating myself. 

1 minute ago, Yokoshima_Onikiba said:

Small grey numbers by the MoBs (not over them) For example the last pic says "1569". I wish I could change the font/size/color of the damage, it would make this much easier. If you have trouble reading the numbers I can tell you what is in each pic, or better yet someone else would. 

Gah, they are small, almost faded.

I'm just starting to wonder if dot is based of ips, but also deducting damage from armor/etc....doesnt make any sense having those low numbers.

Was trying to get into using Mag again, but still need more practice, she is definitely "a too many skills combo (and hoping enemies lives through it) do to some dmg" frame, at low levels, then a " I can't live long enough to lure enough enemies into my combo" frame at mid/higher levels.

18 hours ago, Souldend78 said:

Gah, they are small, almost faded.

I'm just starting to wonder if dot is based of ips, but also deducting damage from armor/etc....doesnt make any sense having those low numbers.

Was trying to get into using Mag again, but still need more practice, she is definitely "a too many skills combo (and hoping enemies lives through it) do to some dmg" frame, at low levels, then a " I can't live long enough to lure enough enemies into my combo" frame at mid/higher levels.

The Mobs were level 1-5. I assume armor comes into play when determining the DoT, but I am 99% sure they don't have that much armor. Also, I don't know what ips is. And again I am sorry about the faded numbers. My video capture skipped every other second or so so I had to take what I could. I had a better program, but I was unable to turn off my computer so I couldn't install it (as a restart was required).

3 hours ago, Yokoshima_Onikiba said:

The Mobs were level 1-5. I assume armor comes into play when determining the DoT, but I am 99% sure they don't have that much armor. Also, I don't know what ips is. And again I am sorry about the faded numbers. My video capture skipped every other second or so so I had to take what I could. I had a better program, but I was unable to turn off my computer so I couldn't install it (as a restart was required).

An http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Butcher has 5 armor.

I'm too lazy to calculate 5 armor, but i know 15 armor means 4.76% damage reduction...

Also for further calculation maybe this will help you... http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Enemy_Level_Scaling

19 hours ago, Zari2015 said:

An http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Butcher has 5 armor.

I'm too lazy to calculate 5 armor, but i know 15 armor means 4.76% damage reduction...

Also for further calculation maybe this will help you... http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Enemy_Level_Scaling

So there is no way the armor is responsible for the low explosion, and the extremely low DoT.  Well thanks for the help. I guess I'll just wait a few months and see if more info as to how this skill works.

Also thanks to Souldend78 for the definition of ips. I've heard it before but I forgot. 

Ehh its easy to gain over 40k dots and over 200k explosion damage on magnetize against regular enemies.

Also the explosion is the big killer as seen here:

Also this still works in simulacrium which is hilerious:

Edited by GhostLacuna
Added another video