Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fixing the Grineer Commander

DefekteDelfin

Hello everyone! Today,I will be talking about my ideas on how to fix a certain enemy that has unfairly killed,annoyed or gave us grief one too many times.With the recent Nitain alert involving the Grineer,I'm sure most of you will know which "OP" enemy I'm talking about today right?

latest?cb=20141217035205

No,not that one! That will be a topic for another day.Perhaps tomorrow.Today we will be taking a look at how to fix an infamously unfair enemy that has made a LOT of people angry.

The Grineer Commander.

latest?cb=20150518153232

He even looks like he's mocking us with his smile

THE PROBLEM

Now,before we go off on a rant about how to fix it,we must first identify what causes this enemy to have such notoriety among us.It has the ability to switch teleport us.

Now this ability could br a bit annoying,but it's fine on its own.However,it stuns you for a few seconds.The few seconds are enough for a Napalm/Bombard/Shield Lancer/Anyone else to rip you several new ones.

Now you might think,why not just kill the commander? or dodge the ability?Well,this ability would be fine if it allows us to do this,but the commander is currently able to Teleport us from rooms away and without LoS,meaning it could hide in a horde of other mooks and still doom you.Now here's where we get into the change to make it better.

THE SOLUTION

Now for the solution.The Grineer commander,would no longer be able to Teleport you with no warning.It now uses a modified Buzlok to mark you by firing a small leech osprey like leeches at you that will mark you.The mark will appear at the top of the screen and display a 7 second counter that would count down.When it reaches 0 you get teleported.Rolling would disable this mark,destroying it like a latcher.This means that the Commanders can do their synergies with other units while still being fair.

latest?cb=20140918035810

The Commander's Buzlok could be colored differently,maybe like a wraith weapon?

In addition,the Commanders could be upsized a bit,and they could be colored brighter colors,like white,yellow and blue instead of the darker colors like grey,red and green,allowing us to pick them off from a distance.

REASONING

These changes would help A LOT due to the fact that the Commanders will have a warning and their switch teleport will also have a way to be avoided,while still retaining their synergies with the other units.They will also be able to be seen by players and prioritized,like the ancient healers or Nullifiers.This would make them fair as it would reward skill,like the seekers and their latchers.

Of course the commander would be trivialized A LOT,so they could receive a small buff.Perhaps they could have Jetpacks and an AI upgrade that allow them to dodge projectiles like Tonkor Grenades,Arrows or rockets,making them avoid Tenno like the rescue targets or hide behind hordes of Grineer would also make the "Commander" in Grineer commander make sense.

3uhzdY3lqp17MrIi5d91bAE1Qzkk8iaHL0acifka

He could use the new Jattuk Mantle as a jetpack so he would be more distinctive

The commander would become a rare encounter that doesn't annoy you,instead rewarding dodging,aim,prioritize toon and skill.They would become a fun encounter,like the  Comba/Scrambus and the Sentients.

Please feel free to leave feedback!

thank-you.png[/img]

Edited by DefekteDelfin
Formatting

1 hour ago, DeltaPhantom said:

I'm okay with this, especially if means the Buzlok will actually be more than just another weapon for us.

Yup.I want the factions to actually use their weapons.No ones using the Serro,Atomos or Spectra.Thats why I think that the older enemies like Powerfists and flameblades should be redesigned with new weapons and pose a challenge.

Personally,I feel that the Powerfists should use the Furax Wraith and should get a new body or new armor to go with it so they look unique and the Flameblades should be able to rift strike (teleport attack)with their twin balsoks and they should have bright red and white armor.

They should pose a challenge without being OP or requiring people to cheese them to succeed.

7 hours ago, DefekteDelfin said:

Yup.I want the factions to actually use their weapons.No ones using the Serro,Atomos or Spectra.Thats why I think that the older enemies like Powerfists and flameblades should be redesigned with new weapons and pose a challenge.

Personally,I feel that the Powerfists should use the Furax Wraith and should get a new body or new armor to go with it so they look unique and the Flameblades should be able to rift strike (teleport attack)with their twin balsoks and they should have bright red and white armor.

They should pose a challenge without being OP or requiring people to cheese them to succeed.

Powerfists use the Furax, Flameblades use the Twin Basolk, both apparently Grineer weapons.

I'm all for the Commander using the Buzlok, but sort of disagree with the teleport gimmick with it.

I think what the Commander's Buzlok gimmick should be is that he shoots a Dart-thing that'll stick to a Tenno, and enemies will prioritize that Tenno over others, making the Commander an actual commander telling his subordinates who to shoot first. 

For the Switch Teleport - It should be a "channeled" ability over 3-4 seconds, based on the Grineer Commander's Line of Sight of the player he is attacking currently. To break the effect on them a player would have to somehow break the Commander's sight, either by CC'ing them, killing them, or running behind some cover where he can't see them.