Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Solution To Rhino Tweaks!

SlowMoMo

I was Reading through the the forums as i found  an interesting different  and reasonable approach to tweaking rhino and making him similar but not exactly the same to the "old rhino". ( note this was not posted by me, i just thought that i should share this. please read before posting. Comments and additional suggestions are welcome)

posted by and credits to

X3Evanescence

I believe that a more practical way to tweak Rhino's Iron Skin would be to give Iron Skin it's full invulnerability, increase the energy cost to about 75 - 85 and add a 10 second cooldown.

The thing that made Rhino "Oh-Pee" is that he had a highly spammable Iron Skin button, which literally grants him "God-Mode" for about 2 minutes. Of course that is "Oh-Pee", no doubt about it.

However, the problem that the old Iron Skin had was not the invulnerability, but the SPAMMABILITY of the ability. Who doesn't want "God Mode" for cheap? Thus, the issue lies with how abusable that #2 button is.

My suggestion, is to retain the old Iron Skin, with an increased energy cost and a cooldown. This can be similar to nerfing an automatic weapon to semi-auto, which greatly reduces how the skill can be spammed to no tomorrow.

Rhino Stomp and Radial Blast are Crowd-Controlling abilities, more for support in general.

With this, Iron Skin becomes a SUPPORT oriented skill, as it cannot be spammed, and thus Rhino users must maximize the use of their precious 20 seconds of Iron Skin to play support roles such as reviving fallen teammates, or using his CC abilities to turn the situation around. Rhino is already heavily dependent on his Load-Out to be able to deal good damage.

I present a possible scenario where the proposed Iron Skin can be used well

Scenario 1:

As a group, while playing at a Tier 3 Void Run, The squad is ambushed by a bunch of lvl 100 Corrupted Heavy Gunners and Fusion MOA. As it was an unexpected attack, all of your teammates are down, and as a Rhino, you are the only one left standing. You activate Iron Skin. This is the possible outcomes comparing the current Iron Skin and the proposed one:

Current Iron Skin:

With the 800 damage cap, you can barely be able to save a teammate as they can strip through Iron Skin in seconds. You have to activate Iron Skin, rush in and attempt to save someone after using Radial Blast or Rhino Stomp. With Fusion MOAs fast knockdown recovery, you are taking a huge risk and not all situations, especially Void, gives you that much energy to spend. Not to mention that your Iron Skin draws so much aggro, chances are you will be downed even before you can save anyone.

Proposed Iron Skin:

Full Invulnerability. You can safely revive a teammate without worries of the enemies around you. With the aggro effect of Iron Skin, the heavies will be attacking your Iron Skin while your teammates can be revived safely. With the cooldown, you cannot go running around all YOLO in God Mode and destroy everything.

In defence missions, you can act as a walking decoy to make Infested swarm to you, which can then be mopped up by your teammate's Uber Skills.

As you can see, Iron Skin can retain its use and Rhino users (like me) remains happy. With the cooldown, Iron skin cannot be abused as a destructive Oh-Pee Skill to smash everything, so people who want kills also remains happy. Win-Win Situation huh? At least Rhino would be no longer the pitiful, outclassed warframe he is now.... Not to mention that he is an EXP-locked Warframe.

i find it kinda funny that they nerfed rhinos iron skin and left trinitys link skill to be.

i do agree that they need to increase the energy cost for iron skin.

i think the simpliest way would be nerfing radial blast in terms of damage and decreasing it's cost to 50 and making

iron skin what it was with higher energy cost and maybe tweak the duration for it.

right now it's just silly that trinity is a better tank than rhino.

I personally think the original Iron Skin should have just been nerfed to 70% damage for a couple seconds, followed by only 40% damage reduction for the rest of the duration at max level. That wouldn't have been OP to keep up pretty often on endless defense missions and the like, and would still have allowed Rhinos to relatively safely revive allies in a pinch.

from what i know they will never give iron skin invulnerability due to pvp in dojo, so forget about invulnerability and come up with something new.

EEERRRR! WRONG!

DE said, that they'll never make any PvP balancing, since WF is focused on PvE, PvP is only a small addincion.

The real reason they nerfed Iron Skin is so the Rhino just can't waltz through lasers in the Orokin Void (tinfoil hat).

Or more realistically, they didn't want to introduce a unique mechanic (cooldown) to only the Rhino to balance what was a fairly boring and OP ability.

I say give the current version of Rhino skin an Armor Value that increases with level + focus, Alternatively, it could use the Rhino's base armor value so it can scale better, and give us a reason to use Steel Fiber.

Edited by lZerul

In my opinion all it really needs now is a simple UI change to show the Iron Skin "HP" and the cooldown. It is still spammable and you can almost do the same as before in most cases but right now the issue is that you don't know when you get over the 800 damage or when the 15 seconds are over. Showing both of those things solves the issue because then you can still "spam" the ability like before.

If I run a def mission vs Infested I always get into trouble right after the Iron Skin drops because it is really unpredictable. Since you mostly fight right in the middle of all Infested including Toxic you never know when it will drop. With the "HP Bar" of the Iron Skin and the timer showing when it ends it will be still a very good and reliable skill. Then you still have the "spam" ability which indeed IS necessary especially on high lvls and you still get your "god mode" and you can work fine with it as intended.

Edit:

Also the "HP" of Iron Skin is also "only" 800 so maybe they can simply increase it's "defense" so that your 800 doesn't just get nullified in 1 hit but can at least make you sustain more or at least the make "steel fiber" mod giving even more "armor" for the Iron Skin "HP" itself than it gives to you, so that it also kind of brings variety into the whole thing.

Edited by Neruell

Every warframe, well  most of them have 25 / 50 / 75 / 100 why increase the energy consumption? i don't see the point in that ( its only me )

But The damage  cap is 800 for real ?:D  ifu are unlucky and meet with a loki who like to disarm everything like in void and Corrupted (funky griner with  gorgon) walks next to you and you are down in a few hit and the iron skin is 1 hit for the tier 3  void( or high wave defense (corpus, griner,infested)  ( No , im not saying t3  void is too hard, nothing like that, i like the way it is, 

Cooldown could be nice, but rhino will be the only  wf with  cd?   kinda hard to believe they will do this but the approach or the whole  thinking is very good because Rhino iron skin is useless in high waves of an defense but if u wana  play rhino try  get flow + streamline and spam  "smash dash" and "Crunchy stompy" (skills 3) until u are satisfied :D i still like my rhino and i have the "ability" to remove skills , but sadly we don't have the ability to rearrange them on the skills bar :P and now u can even change the polarities too :P but still upvote  because someone still cares about the poor rhino

Sorry about my rambling 

This actually makes me pretty sad that I entered post-Rhino nerf. I've always liked tanking, and I'm disappointed that my job can be done much better by Frost and even the damned Healer with Link.
Good to know that all the Frames I like are considered Low-Mid tier. =/