Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Saryn Or Nyx More Powerful?

Xievie

Question

Hey guys. I need help.

I am looking to make an offensive warframe since I have a defensive (Frost Prime) and mobile (Ash) warframe already.

The female warframe ones seemed to be the ones for offense.

I removed Ember because I absolutely hated how she looked, and the theme of fire does not appeal to me, and I removed Banshee because, well, she seems more of a 1v1 boss type of warframe, and I would like to avoid making a spectral themed warframe, as it hardly appeals to me.

I found Saryn and Nyx to seem like good frames to choose from, but I can't decide because I don't understand how hey work.

Nyx has potential to be a good offensive warframe, but it seems like she focuses a bit on mindcontrolling and seems to NEED to be taking hits to use that ultimate. (and I dislike how she looks)

Saryn also seems to be a good offensive warframe, but having 0.9 speed kind of hurts my soul. I like her abilities, and the ultimate seems to be something I can use in many situations. Her third ability really does appeal to me, considering how I tend to use my melee weapon. A lot.

These were my first impression, but I have never really seen them in action and payed good attention. I don't know how it feels, and I don't know what others think about it.

I came here to ask those who know about these warframes to help me decide.

I want more of a warframe that can run into a room (with stretch) and use an ability that will just clear the room rather than picking them off one by one with my weapons.

25 answers to this question

I came here to ask those who know about these warframes to help me decide.

I want more of a warframe that can run into a room (with stretch) and use an ability that will just clear the room rather than picking them off one by one with my weapons.

based on that, you want saryn, Nyx's chaos can do it, but it takes longer (they're shooting each other) and you'll still mostly have to kill them with your guns.

most of your progression revolves around your guns and melee. you spend 95% of your time getting mods and ranking them for your weps.

why wouldnt you want to use them?

you can mod for sprint speed thats not a big problem. nyx is all about indirect damage rather than having a reliable way to just pump it out. and sayrin doesnt have the range you seem to be looking for.

the warframe you seem to be looking for doesnt exist. short of overload but that isnt effective unless you fight corpus on a corpus map.

you know, it seems like they would want to balance things so there isnt just one thing that nukes everything all the time. or some such silly idea like that.

Well, it depends on the situation. Sayrn has more outright damage, but it caps off at around lvl 40 i believe. Nyx doesnt really do much damage, but its abilities have high utility and get things killed (since everybody just shoots each other). Nyx's abilities that do direct damage to enemies are unreliable, but the 2 mindcontrol abilities are very useful. Sayrn has an amazing 4 skill, and some of her other abilities are pretty useful while being more reliable than nyx's mind darts or 4 ability. 

I think they are both, however, very suspect to the "press X to win" problem. Most of their abilities are extremely situation while one ability is just more useful in most situations (Miasma for Sayrn, and Chaos for Nyx)

They are both great frames, but I personally don't particularly care for either because of that.

I'm currently farming for Saryn, so I can't say much of her (other than that I want to build her :P).

But, I played Nyx a lot lately and I can say that she is not an offensive warframe per se.

Chaos and Mind Control are both excellent skills, especially since neither cares about the enemy's level - 1 or 100, they work just the same.

Absorb is weirdly bugged (it acts in a completely unreliable way - sometimes it kills off everything, sometimes it does next to nothing) and it's almost always a better idea to use Chaos, since they're both aimed at crowds, and Chaos is much more effective.

Psychic Bolts were intended as a long range attack power, but it's pretty wonky and buggy as well. I find it effective as a shotgun, blasting it in an enemies face for approximately 7x150 damage. Unreliable and costly (50 energy).

Overall, she needs to be patched up and fixed, and Absorb (IMHO) needs to be reworked entirely.

I still really like Nyx, though. Chaos and Mind Control are both fun and unique, and she has the top-tier Energy pool, so there's enough to spare for Psychic Bolts as well.

Saryn might be more to your liking. I won't know in another 3 days for sure :P

Saryn is a front line AoE Nuker and Nyx is a Mezzer. They don't fill similar enough roles to be directly compared. If you want something balls out offensive, go Saryn. Nyx is like a less polished Vauban more than anything.

Banshee's Sound Quake + Stretch + Focus = 6 times 250 damage over a duration of 7 seconds in a range of 26 meters.

Banshee + Flow + Reverb Helmet = 465 energy (4 ultimates in a row and a couple Sonic Boom just for the lulz).

Banshee is far from being a 1v1 boss only. There isn't a skill with bigger AoE than SQ.

Knocking down with Sonic Boom is very useful against ancients in high level infested maps.

Chaos doesn't fit the "clear a room" role OP said.

It doesnt' inflict direct damage. Same for Silence and Sonar.

I half agree with you. Chaos certainly can clear a room for the most part, most of the enemies will indeed kill eachother. You might have to polish one or two off yourself, but that's nbd. Just sayin' though, the wiki says Banshee's ult is a huge radius but really it isn't. Ember's is the same area of effect but is way, way more effective. I wonder what Volt's is, too.

*Edit: Also, Chaos's damage scales wayy bettter, because it scales off of the damage that the enemies do, and their damage scales per level. Highly effective for higher level defense missions.

Edited by Volunterrorist

I half agree with you. Chaos certainly can clear a room for the most part, most of the enemies will indeed kill eachother. You might have to polish one or two off yourself, but that's nbd. Just sayin' though, the wiki says Banshee's ult is a huge radius but really it isn't. Ember's is the same area of effect but is way, way more effective. I wonder what Volt's is, too.

*Edit: Also, Chaos's damage scales wayy bettter, because it scales off of the damage that the enemies do, and their damage scales per level. Highly effective for higher level defense missions.

I'm not talking Chaos isn't useful. It's always good to have a Nyx in high level defense maps.

But it doesn't clear a room in 7 seconds like SQ does (and what OP asked for). Chaos is more of a "time winner" ability and, in the end, you still have to kill enemies by yourself (nobody waits 25 seconds so the enemies can kill each other and finally you can just finish off the few that remained).

Ember/Volt are very good indeed, but they are very situational aswell. Ember is the king against Infected, while Volt can be decisive against Corpus.

But ACTUALLY they are not that great out of their niche. Banshee's SQ does a raw damage (even being reduced by enemy armour), so you can expect regular damage from it regardless of faction.

Edited by elpanda13

I'm currently farming for Saryn, so I can't say much of her (other than that I want to build her :P).

But, I played Nyx a lot lately and I can say that she is not an offensive warframe per se.

Chaos and Mind Control are both excellent skills, especially since neither cares about the enemy's level - 1 or 100, they work just the same.

Absorb is weirdly bugged (it acts in a completely unreliable way - sometimes it kills off everything, sometimes it does next to nothing) and it's almost always a better idea to use Chaos, since they're both aimed at crowds, and Chaos is much more effective.

Psychic Bolts were intended as a long range attack power, but it's pretty wonky and buggy as well. I find it effective as a shotgun, blasting it in an enemies face for approximately 7x150 damage. Unreliable and costly (50 energy).

Overall, she needs to be patched up and fixed, and Absorb (IMHO) needs to be reworked entirely.

I still really like Nyx, though. Chaos and Mind Control are both fun and unique, and she has the top-tier Energy pool, so there's enough to spare for Psychic Bolts as well.

Saryn might be more to your liking. I won't know in another 3 days for sure :P

Absorb deals the damage out you take while in the bubble.

Thank you everybody for the advice and all of that stuff!

I decided that Saryn would cater more to my liking and playstyle.

Though... I am debating between Saryn and Banshee now.

By room clearing, I also had defense in mind. High level defense.

Saryn ignores armor and all, but Banshee can mark them all.

I still want room clearing, though.

Thank you everybody for the advice and all of that stuff!

I decided that Saryn would cater more to my liking and playstyle.

Though... I am debating between Saryn and Banshee now.

By room clearing, I also had defense in mind. High level defense.

Saryn ignores armor and all, but Banshee can mark them all.

I still want room clearing, though.

Your first problem with that, is that you have to actually get your hands on Banshee before you can make the choice. Unless there were unknown changes in the recent updates, Banshee is notoriously hard to farmed for and most of the time, it just "happened" (as opposed to expected reward for efforts put in). imo, unless you have banshee parts bps now, get Saryn, and maybe switch for Banshee once she "happened". (provided that you have enough plats for another slot).

Your first problem with that, is that you have to actually get your hands on Banshee before you can make the choice. Unless there were unknown changes in the recent updates, Banshee is notoriously hard to farmed for and most of the time, it just "happened" (as opposed to expected reward for efforts put in). imo, unless you have banshee parts bps now, get Saryn, and maybe switch for Banshee once she "happened". (provided that you have enough plats for another slot).

Actually it's not that hard to get Banshee's bps.

Just go to Xini and spend like an hour there. I'm pretty sure you will get at least 2 bps.

You can easily gather all the bps you need in an afternoon.

And well, I think OP should craft both Banshee and Saryn. Why not?

I know this seems to be a lot of work, but this game is pretty about it nowadays: crafting warframes and weapons to try it out.

Absorb deals the damage out you take while in the bubble.

Yeees, it should do that, but it's pretty heavily bugged, especially against melee damage and figuring out what enemy is within range. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/62841-nyx-absorb/

I think it needs to be reworked either way - maybe create a decoy that Absorbs and become invisible while it's active, or something. At least put a huge aggro draw on it. There's almost no situation where using Absorb is better than using Chaos.

On topic: I collected the entire set of Banshee BPs just by playing the game regularly. RNG plays a much larger role for her than the other warframes (Vauban excluded >_<).

I love em both^^

Nyx is great when fighting a huge amount of enemies in defense missions

Saryin clears rooms in a second

Nyx's Mindcontroll literally creates a meatshield out of any heavy unit

Saryn's Contagion scales with the weapons damage and critical hits

they are both great and work against all factions

right now i preffer Nyx however since she's a LOT faster which makes better use of a maxed out Rush mod

Also another great choice in terms of offense is Vauban, but he's harder (random) to get unless you send real money

Banshee's made for killing bosses since her Sonar gets boosted even further with Mods that increase damage and duration (which also buff your teammates weapon DPS)

and then there's Ember great against Infested... not that great against anything else... and at higher levels her first 2 skills are useless

I know you guys are trying to compare Saryn and Nyx but I would also like to throw in Mag especially if your looking for a power that just obliterates a room, I love using her Crush power it is both devastating and fun to watch happen. Many a time I have raced Mag over to a player who was getting overwhelmed and hit her Crush power, that watch the words "Wave Cleared" come up afterwards:)