Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oaths/Badges of Honor (Dragon Key = +% Affinity)

VKhaun

With the changes to forma I wanted to revisit this concept. I'm certainly not the first or only person to put it forward.

Basically it's a self imposed handicap in exchange for affinity (Or whatever. Loot drop rates?) such as not using restore packs.The larger the handicap, the larger the bonus. It could be implemented as a U.I. element, maybe related to syndicates with syndicate-flavored handicaps, conditions and bonuses? Or it could be done just like a dragon key where you equip an item on your gear wheel and can bring only one at a time.

Oath of the Lizard: Health restores and team restore packs are disabled. +15% affinity.

Oath of the Wolf: +15% affinity if the whole team is within affinity share distance. -15% while someone is missing.

Oath of the Mouse: Powers 2, 3 and 4 are disabled. +30% affinity +30% resources.

Oath of the Titan: Only physical damage is applied by weapons and powers. Wall latch disabled. +40% affinity.

Syndicate oaths? Maybe like, 10% affinity per condition met and each syndicate has three conditions. An easy/normal/hard. Like Red Veil could be Silent Weapon(easy) / Unaware target (normal) / Maintaining at least X% stealth bonus (hard).

Lore/Quest Fluff? "Challenge Accepted" oath. Must play solo. Must be marked for death. Fusion core, credit and resource rewards doubled if the stalker is killed. Mission failed if killed by the stalker.

P.S.- There are a lot of posts and threads right now discussing "cheese" by enemies and players. A system like this could be a good way to let the player side have their cheese but give them a good reason not to eat it... For example, instead of nerfing naramon passives or Loki/Ash Invisibility they could add...

(Major) Oath of "Sword Alone": Non-finisher melee kills against enemies which are not disabled and can see you give 100% bonus affinity and loot.

Tweak the bonuses and add handicaps as needed to make it a viable alternative to cheese in whatever situation.

Liking this idea a lot, but instead of having an animal theme, I feel like using the four elements would make more sense. 

So instead of Oath of the Lizard, perhaps Path of Wind? And the others would be Path of Earth, Fire, and Water. Take this idea as you wish, I just don't see how animals fit in.

Not sure how I feel about syndicate oaths, since I feel like the syndicates are bloated already. Maybe add some to Sorties instead. Instead of just having different handicaps, let's get some optional challenges in as well, like time trials (maybe not the best example, but you get my point). Completing said challenge would award you with a Credit/Affinity booster for example.

Edited by freekycheese

I like it.

Although i feel that for syndicates you could just revise a bit the sigils. Basically, sigils have no innate % bonus to rep or affinity; they are just cosmetics. Depending on your rank with the syndicate, you get a progressive % bonus to affinity and rep gained when wearing the sigil.

I think the system by itself has potential, taking special "oaths" or whatever you want to call them that give you bonuses in exchange for penalties would be a great way to have the game gain on flavour.

5 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

I think the system by itself has potential, taking special "oaths" or whatever you want to call them that give you bonuses in exchange for penalties would be a great way to have the game gain on flavour.

Espcially NOW with the forma changes.

Before this would have been an "end game" system for people with maxed gear, but now... if you forma your catalyzed Soma Prime for the 4th time and you're MR18... this would be a good way to keep things interesting.

Plus anyone who levels weapons by using them will tell you part of the fun was going back and messing with your mods after each mission to see what you could do with a few more points. With the forma improvement I don't really get to do that anymore. Especially as a high MR player, I just have 42 points the whole time until the weapon is almost finished anyway. An oath system would give me something to poke around with between missions as I'm feeling strong or weak with whatever I'm leveling vs whatever I'm going to go do.

Edited by VKhaun

1 minute ago, VKhaun said:

Plus anyone who levels weapons by using them will tell you, half the fun was going back and messing with your mods after each mission to see what you could do. With the forma improvement I don't really get to do that anymore. Especially as a high MR player, I just have 42 points the whole time until the weapon is almost finished anyway. An oath system would give me something to poke around with between missions as I'm feeling strong or weak with whatever I'm leveling vs whatever I'm going to go do.

I can relate to that, trying all different combos of all different mod ranks to fin in that thing it's sorely missing from a weapon with 20 odd capacity is sorta fun.

Although i find it priceless that i can now directly use the weapon from the get go without getting it through at least a couple of rounds of a pub endless to gain some points to make it useable.

Perhaps these oaths could be tied into the focus systems in some way? I think your "Oath of the Titan" would fit Unairu fairly well, seeing as you're standing your ground and dealing with only the physical.

Edited by TheStag
I can't spell "Perhaps"

This I like!

Right now we have an unnesseccary difficulty spike we can't quite surpass: the enemy scaling. Especially at lvl 100, where this particular thing becomes an obstacle for some players. Although our armor and defense are at the maximum, we get one-shotted. Alhough our frames and weapons are forma'd to death for the highest damage output possible, it still isn't enough. It does not matter.
On top of that there is nothing we - the players - gain from playing missions like that. There is no "extra" we get for beating those missions. We mostly get the same rewards as if we would have played at a lvl 10-20 difficulty.

And thats why I absolutely love your idea. It is wonderful possibility for those players who seek a challenge in their missions.

Don't get me wrong. They seek challenge yes, but not that frustrating thing it is right now without any rewards for their skill and endurance. Not even Dark Souls is that heartless.
But while the enemy scaling problem is being adressed and nerfed reworked on many players - like me (who are masochistic enough to say that they love the difficulty of the Dark Souls games on NG5+) - fear that Warframe will become too easy or won't have anything to offer in terms of difficulty related rewards, whereas your idea provides the perfect solution for that.

Have my vote and hope so that DE may see this (as an inspiration)

P.S.: Instead of rewarding the players for being cheesy, reward them for being skillfull

Edited by Cissney5

10 hours ago, VKhaun said:

Oath of the Titan: Only physical damage is applied by weapons and powers. Wall latch disabled. +40% affinity.

Oath of Shadow steps and there is already a melee kill affinity boost in naramon.

No ideas for conclave standing affinity boost which is extremely hard/slow to farm ?