Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

CPU Overclock Question

OveX93

Question

So let me explain some things first before i post the question. In some older CPU after overclocking there is a chance that you can get a "little speed hack" because reasons that i don't understand either. Recently I've found out this and got banned from SMITE because of it but that is just details, but this "speed hack" doesn't work on 90% of the games past 2012, only on games like GTA Vice city.

My question is does this game face the same problems? Can this bug from bios act as a speed hack in this game and make it run faster than normal?

Why I'm asking? I got banned from Warframe as well, been playing for 3 days, with no aparente reasons but I'm not here to discuss my ban reason, I've send a ticket and waiting for a response. 

I just want to play this game peacefully and if my CPU OC is the reason at least I can solve that and enjoy the game.

12 answers to this question

As far as i've seen, almost everyone here with a 'K' series intel CPU has it overclocked. I have ~700Mhz overclock on my CPU also, and have done for a long, long time. So, no, you wont get banned. At most, Warframe will just crash, and you'll need to restart the client.

Additionally, while i don't know what smite is, or how it operates, i can say that you getting banned from Smite is down to bad programming. If the "Speed Hack" you reference is in fact an actual speed increase of in-game motion vs performance increase, then the Devs of Smite are at fault, not you. They have set their game up to rely on PC timings that it probably shouldn't do, Nintendo gameboy style.

Furthermore, i don't know why you were banned from Warframe, however there is a post on here where they outline the parameters of automatic banning. If you have something messing with memory (or specifically Warframes Memory) it triggers an automatic ban.

EDIT:

Should point out however, that if your overclock is dodgy, and your system is doing dodgy things as a result, that may flag an auto ban if depending on the manner in which the dodgyness appears.

Edited by MillbrookWest

As far as I know I don't use anything that can mess with the memory of Warframes. The only things I have modified in my computer is my GPU and CPU. Also I don't have programs like CheatEngine installed in my computer. Actually I did a fresh windows install about 2 weeks ago with basic programs installed.

It's good to know that my CPU can't make problems. Mine it's Dual Core E6600 at 3.6 ghz oc

I'm not sure if this will provide a clue but before I got banned, I received my daily tribute while i was in game and got the disccount platinum 75%, had a look on website to see the difference then I went to bed for 9 hours. I tried morning to play and i waked up with the message of the day.

How can i know if my oc is dodgy?

Most people run Prime95 (just google it), it is an unrealistic stress test but it works if you need to check stability. If a value is returned not correct, it fails the test as the CPU has performed an erroneous calculation at some point. But in your case, there is a preset to test CPU, and Memory, or just memory. In a similar fashion, if Prime95 gets a value that is incorrect from memory, it will fail the test. If you can run prime95 no problems, then your system probably isn't doing anything weird, because the prime95 test will fail for even the most minor error.

Just keep an eye on your system temps, as i said, it is an unrealistic stress test designed to thoroughly utilize the hardware it is run on. 

People say one whole day, but truth be told, for everyday running of a PC, 10 mins should be fine. If there is something dodgy, it wont take Prime95 long to find it, so no point going for a whole day... just make sure your temps don't go too high.

EDIT:
Just to note, to test your memory, you're going to want to select the 'Custom' setting, and in the "Memory to use (in MB)" enter a high-ish value, probably under the max amount of ram you have. You don't want to go too high, coz then you'll just start hitting the pagefile, and games don't normally use the pagefile so it will be a waste of time.

To stop Prime95, click the "test" drop down in the top left, and select stop. Don't hit the "X" otherwise it will just minimize and run in the background.

Edited by MillbrookWest

18 minutes ago, OveX93 said:

Thanks a lot! Do you have a recomendation on how much should I keep the stress running?

It's a matter of how cool you can keep your chip, if it doesn't start thermal throttling your fine but keeping your CPU running at a high temperature can shorten it's lifespan.

But most chips have a built in feature to stop you from frying it enless you activatly deactivate or change the threshold.

I've let it run for 40min with costum settings, (been googling a bit) and my settings was set as you said Millbrook. It dint showed any problems, also my cpu was oc'ed for a few years with no problems and with this test I can't say that there is a technical problem here. Thanks guys for your support and information, now I know that my hardware is not the cause for the ban as it was for another game which i invested some time. Now I hope that support from the website are human enough to check it out and see what's the real deal. It's only 3 days since I started playing but still I invested emotionally at least in it. 

I know the problem can be easily solved in my case, if i've been playing for only 3 days why not make a new account some people may ask? Well since I don't know yet the reason why I got banned in the first place I just can't invest more time in this game with a new account and find myself like I did today with the second account banned with no apparent reasons in the first place.

And for the mods on the forum I know disccusing bans it's not allowed, I just wanted some info regarding my hardware if can be a cause of it, not to discuss the reasons I ended up, the rest of the details I hope I'l solve with the support.

Thanks again all of you for your dedication! :)

53 minutes ago, OveX93 said:

Thanks a lot! Do you have a recomendation on how much should I keep the stress running?

it depends, if you turn off the feature that underclocks your cpu when idle, like most do to OC when the chip is running at full speed all the time so you need to make suee the pc can be stable for as long as you keep it on, make sure temps are manageable, can be easy done with air but water blocks can make it easier,

its also worth questioning whether you even need to bother with an overclock, i run a 2500k and apart from "for fun" testing ive never left an OC on this chip as its totally unnecessary

Edited by cannonfodder1982

Just now, cannonfodder1982 said:

40 minutes is not even close, im guessing you will game much longer than 40 minutes at a time, you need a few hours, i used to do 8 but thats just me

Oh well, I'l do more longer tests to see if it's ok after getting a good response from the support. So far only one game cause me problems because I overclocked my CPU.

3 minutes ago, OveX93 said:

Oh well, I'l do more longer tests to see if it's ok after getting a good response from the support. So far only one game cause me problems because I overclocked my CPU.

ive had a lot of experience overclocking cpu's gfx cards and ram, and ive never had any issues with any game ever, sounds like the one you got banned from is just poorly done, and i wouldnt worry about it as a whole