The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Difficulty of melee combos unnecessary.

Gerrand

Greetings.

As a background, when equipping a stance mod on a weapon, you not only get a few extra mod points for the weapon but also the ability to perform several stylish melee attacks. I approve of this greatly. Despite this (and my tendency to default to an invisible melee Loki when I don't feel like thinking) I every seldom see any melee combos besides ones from mashing the prod key. There two (probable) reasons for this:

1) I'm not that great at timed typing and with the speed varying beserker mod in play (and no visible marker as to where and in which combo you currently sequencing for) its damn hard to figure out your choreographed dance routine in the middle of a lvl 60+ grineer firing squad.

2) As many comments suggest all over the internet (which I agree with), once you get 5 stacks in the body-count/blood-bath/beserker combo you abandon all combos and just mash the attack button.

Melee combos do have some damage boosts and often some cool effects but I'd seldom put these secondary effects as being more potent then a single extra mod - and melee damage lags more then a mod behind gun damage anyway. While there must certainly be joy and esteem in being able too continually pull these combos off in hectic situations, I'd prefer to be able to pull off these techniques with the same ease that I fire a gun's secondary fire mode or tap into my mystical space voodoo.

Out of curiosity, would you prefer to execute melee combos with much greater ease or would you prefer them to maintain their current difficulty - however high or low that actually is?

If you think melee combos are difficult you should try that machete stance.

Melee combos are easy enough, unless you're using mods like Berserker. But even with it there are good combos that require only to hold block. I guess it's a matter of preference, but I use melee most of the time and have almost no problems with performing combos. I would say they should be left as they are, but you will see many people who would like to completely redesign the system.

What melee needs in my opinion is the ability to break combo chains as some of them lock you in animation. Right now melee is a bit broken anyway, after the reintroduction of charge attacks; for example, I would like to do a charge in the middle of a combo but I can't because the combo is finished first.

The only ones I'd say are difficult are the ones that involve pausing/holding after the 3rd or 4th key press. The ones that are pause/hold on the second attack aren't too bad I think, on top of which a good portion of "combos" are just spam attack while:

1. Holding RMB
  2. Holding Forward
  3. Holding Backward

Melee combos are easy. Hitting enemies with them is a different story, since sometimes it is literally impossible to land a full combo on a single enemy (as you will swing/jump over/away from the enemy).

Some combos are just ballet with melee weapons.

10 minutes ago, SeaUrchins said:

Melee combos are easy. Hitting enemies with them is a different story, since sometimes it is literally impossible to land a full combo on a single enemy (as you will swing/jump over/away from the enemy).

Some combos are just ballet with melee weapons.

This is pretty much why I'd prefer a simpler way to do combos. I'd prefer to be focusing on lining up a punch over trying to time a key combination properly. Its possible to do both at once, I just feel that standing the perfect distance away to connecting with a flying kick is more rewarding then managing to type the keys to initiate one. The moment I see an enemy at the perfect distance to launch a ballet move at him, I want to seize the moment without worrying about the key strokes.  

Maybe if, instead of having combos, we had something like... :

-Hold RMB and attack once/hold attack : Special move/Attack

So, instead of having combos with attacks that are difficult (generally speaking) to hit enemies with, we just have a single, powerful Special move assigned to a different key combination?

Dunno, just thinking out loud... 

Don't kill me >_<

22 minutes ago, Railgun_Alter said:

Maybe if, instead of having combos, we had something like... :

-Hold RMB and attack once/hold attack : Special move/Attack

So, instead of having combos with attacks that are difficult (generally speaking) to hit enemies with, we just have a single, powerful Special move assigned to a different key combination?

Dunno, just thinking out loud... 

Don't kill me >_<

It would be a different sort of style but you could have 3 combos which consisted of a single move. If regular attack is hammer slam, having a straight forward hammer thrust as your second combo and a slam which pogo-stick launched you into a jump as your third would be a valid move set.

I just wish there was a visible timer on the combo counter, but extra help for combos would be nice. Especially when another stack of beserker kicks in and my scindo prime is moving faster than a Zoren. 

On 2016-06-08 at 0:20 AM, Gerrand said:

The quote field is bugging.. 

Anyway!

I use Valkyr with naramon so i have really fast attack speed, but it feels like they didnt think this through.. i mean all the melee components (Such as focus/combo counter~) need's to be more in synergy.

Becouse as it is now, it's just broken man.. you can't see your moves due to invis and you don't have a clue on how much time is left with  the combo counter.

But the question is, why do they get us all hyped for new weapons that's mediocre at best? 

I was looking forward to the dual dark sword man and when i saw the announcment in the game last night i jumped out of my seat.. but yeah.

Edited by Ryddem