Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pixel Enthusiasts! (Lost Sector "8bitwf")

Lactamid

ItwGcp5.png

Hello everyone, Lactamid here!
Comming closer to an build update I'd like to both give a little sneak peak and talk a bit about the art of Lost Sector.

About a year ago I joined the team after hanging at the forum monitoring the thread and constantly looking for news about the project. Back then I had pretty much never done any pixel art and my other "art skills" were limited at best.
About a month earlier a guy called "Chubbys" had joined the team and provided a lot of new updates for the character sprites. So it came naturally that I started working mostly on maps, making tiles, backgrounds and other decorations (doodads) to be placed on the map.
vCYUk7T.png

Starting out I wasn't very good at it to be fair (haha) but I hung in there and after a while, with the teams help and a bit of effort I got better. I started making backgrounds, I looked around on google and tried to remember all the cool looking games from when I was a kid. Drawing inspiration from such games as Space Crusade, Alien Breed, Flashback, Turrican (2) and tons more I experimented with various stuff.

Nyx as my first attempt.
XLX1urE.jpg

I also looked at newer games such as Chasm, Frogatto, Mercenary Kings and of course Metal Slug.
While doing this I also learned about things like color, alpha, saturization and general artsy-art things to get a better understanding of what I actually wanted to do. Much came down to experimenting though. Long and tedious pixely clicking.

Since the early days of Lost Sector the art has indeed moved away from true 8bit pixelart and towards a more modern feel using colors and techniques more freely, but still sticking with mostly 16x16 or 32x32 pixel sprites.
It is my opinion that we've tried to have a light, while not too chibi-like style on our sprites (which Chubbys could probably talk more about) and build our game freely with pieces from "normal wf" as the base of inspiration. As we lose a dimension it is hard to always keep things looking just right and in scale but many things are still drawn with the shapes and textures of things that are actually in game.
FyGlvDY.png

Box evolution.
We want you to mostly know what you're looking at when you see it.
Another aspect of this is that colors used on the Warframes are their original colors, this helps to clarify who is who.

PM7AE4j.png
There is still much more that we want to do, right now we've mostly added things from the Corpus ship and outpost tilesets but the vision is to you situated on Europa in a time period before the events warframe.

Thanks for reading!

PS: If you want to contribute to Lost Sector in any way; art (not limited to pixelart), programming, music, sound fx etc you are most welcome!
If you're a beginner, remember that most of us on the team have never made a game before, and it is voluntary. While we hope you stay, you're not expected or forced to do anything.
For pixel artist we even have a few tutorials.

For more info you can check out our site at:
www.8bit.wf
Or our other thread:

Edited by Lactamid
  • Like 1

Just now, DeltaPhantom said:

You have my attention.

No, I'm not drooling. You're imagining things.

Forgot to put it in the OP but you can check out the older version and a bit of backstory on www.8bit.wf
There is also a main thread here:

• 4 weeks later...

Drawing closer to TennoCon and workspeed is up in the Lost Sector team!
We're trying our best to get things ready, because YES, lost sector will be at TennoCon!

While you wait here is a little update with some tiles for the maps I've been making. Hopefully you might recognize a few things from the Corpus ship tileset.
zW5Wany.png

We've also been working on the UI which we weren't happy with. While the little Frost along with his shield and health circle was working pretty well, things would get complicated with future updates holding upgrade-systems and other frames. We also want to move away from the weapon switching and provide you with more rapid controls, pressing either melee or ranged directly.

zNm6mET.png

Anyway that's it for now :) Hope to see you playing in the future!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there everyone.

I was going to post some updates on the work I've done on the Tileset. However there has been some changes.
But don't worry! It's good news :)
Currently we're using Tiled as a way to create maps and previously there was a "bug" were tilsets with transparent parts would cause Tiled to mess up the order of things if you added things and changed the size of the picture the tileset used. Now Bjorn over at Tiled has fixed that! (WUHU!) So, we're in the middle of reordering tiles trying to get it to look somewhat comprehensible.

With that in mind I don't really know what I've added since the last time, so here is most of the Tiles we use all at once! Enjoy.

kuW86G1.png

Corpus tiles from the 3 tilesets used in Warframe (and some custom)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

So, uh, I'm guessing that my chances of ever getting a response to this are slim to none, but can I ask what happened to this game? The last scraps of info I could find were from 2018. Also, where can I get the beta for PC? Clicked the link in another forum post, downloaded the .zip, but when I extracted the files, it looked as if they were incomplete, and not the full game. I just really wanna play this :D