Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concept for a Crystal-based Warframe.

Me.KayOh

Crystal-based Warframe

What is a crystal?

Taken from http://www.chemistry.co.nz/crystals_defined.htm a crystal can be defined as “solids that form by a regular repeated pattern of molecules connecting together. In some solids, the arrangements of the building blocks (atoms and molecules) can be random or very different throughout the material. In crystals, however, a collections of atoms called the Unit Cell is repeated in exactly the same arrangement over and over throughout the entire material.”

Suggested Names: I decided to leave the gender open. So here I’ll drop some male and female names that I liked. They may or may not have anything to do with the frame itself.
Male Name    Female Name
Kessho               Anna
Haldir                Ade
Tallo                  Nuria
Stein                  Edel
Seki                   Gema

For the upcoming discussion I have used the placeholder [NAME] where the warframe’s name is supposed to be.

Suggested Main Stats

Health: 150 (500 at level 30)
Shield: 175 (500 at level 30)
Armor: 0
Power: 100(150 at level 30)
Sprint Speed: 0.95
Conclave: TBD
Polarities:TBD
Aura Polarity:TBD

Suggested Passive: Crystallization 

Before we discuss the ability, what is crystallisation? 

From Wikipedia, crystallization is the (natural or artificial) process where a solid forms where the atoms or molecules are highly organized in a structure known as a crystal. Some of the ways which crystals form are through precipitating from a solution, melting or more rarely deposited directly from a gas. Crystallization is also a chemical solid–liquid separation technique, in which mass transfer of a solute from the liquid solution to a pure solid crystalline phase occurs. With respect to the passive ability, the emergence of a pure solid crystalline phase is important. 

Why do I think [NAME]’s abilities should cause slash, impact and puncture damage procs? 

Crystals can be categorised according to the shape its molecular lattice takes. From this we would have 7 categories (some sources say 6 as they group hexagonal and trigonal together as one. It makes sense since if you turn the trigonal on its side it would resemble the top face of the hexagonal). See below

Spoiler

All-about-Crystals-Fun-Science-Facts-for

I assigned the damage types based on the lattice structures as seen above. So that triclinic and monoclinic lattice structures are best suited for slash damage. Trigonal and tetragonal structures are suited to cause puncture damage due to the less sharp edges and more flat faces. And finally orthombic, cubic and hexagonal structures are shapes best suited to inflict impact damage. This would be due to almost no spiked edges excluding vertices and also due to its total flat faces. This is just an explanation for how crystals may inflict these types of damages. When actual crystallisation takes place the solid object formed would not necessary resemble the lattice structures identified above.

How do I think the crystals cause damage procs?

Well let’s take a look at quartz for example. Quartz is said to vibrate with a period (oscillating time) of 10^-6 seconds. But what does that mean? Taken from http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/187604/vibration-of-quartz-crystal

“Quartz crystal is a piezoelectric material. It produces and accumulates electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. The piezoelectric effect works both ways. Not only is electric charge produced when mechanical stress is applied, but also mechanical stress appears when electric charge is applied.
Mechanical stress, if applied in sufficient amount, is accompanied by mechanical strain, or deformation of the material under stress. In quartz crystal, strain appears as a bending of the crystalline structure when electric charge is applied across the plane of a crystalline sheet.
An oscillator circuit composed of an amplifier and a resonator applies charge to the thin sheet of quartz crystal, and the crystal mechanically vibrates because of the reversible piezoelectric effect. The crystal acts as the resonator in the circuit. It vibrates at a desired frequency based on its thickness, shape, and the lattice plane from which the crystal is cut. The vibrating crystal acts as a filter which eliminates all electric signals with the exception of the desired frequency.
The vibrating quartz crystal feeds back its frequency to the amplifier. As long as electric charge is continuously applied, and temperature does not vary too much, the mechanical vibrations of the crystal resonator are regular and dependable.” 

So after all that science, this is a crystal-based warframe. If it utilises the in-game energy and say it’s an equivalent to electricity, crystals that are used in the abilities would vibrate. And then I would attribute the procs to this vibration. This is why I also think that the procs would cause the warframe’s passive. If you consider that the piezoelectric effect is reversible the warframe energy is transmitted to the crystals used in the abilities. The crystals vibrate and procs. The procs would cause the crystals used in the ability to “feed back” its frequency to the warframe itself thereby enacting the passive ability, which is to increase the armor by growth of a “solid crystalline phase.” This is just some space-magic explanation for why I think it would work.

Onto the Passive Ability. 

Each of [NAME]’s normal abilities will proc one of slash, impact, puncture or life steal damage when cast on enemies. Every time the ability proc ticks and does damage against a mob, [NAME]’s armor is increased permanently for the duration of the mission. The amount of additional armor generated with every tick must be set and must be the same for all types of procs. It cannot be affected by power strength mods. If more than one proc type is inflicted on enemies (i.e. if more than one ability is in use at a time the passive must account for each proc in use as well as the number of enemies experiencing the proc. The economy of how much armor is gained from the procs is to be decided.)

Normal Abilities: Please note that I tried my best to determine “balanced” values for the damage amount and so on. These values can be changed at your discretion. What I really wanted to demonstrate is the way in which the abilities operate.

(1)     Rhodon Shards: Named after pictured below.

Spoiler

rhodonite%20natural4.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the rhodonite crystal is an example of a crystal with a triclinic lattice structure. Triclinic and monoclinic, I assigned to slash damage. As the first ability procs slash damage, I chose Rhodon Shards for the name.

About the ability, Rhodon Shards: [NAME] releases a cluster of small but razor sharp crystal projectiles from his/her hand towards a single enemy. Together the cluster does 150/225/275/300 slash damage on contact per tick for a duration of 3 seconds and 50/100/125/150 slash damage with 100% status chance in an area animated as crystal shards sticking out of the ground on the ground. Energy cost is 25.

•    All damage is affected by Power Strength and body-part multipliers.
•    Area damage affects the initial target, decreases with distance, and does not bypass obstacles in the environment.
•    The duration of the slash proc is affected by Power Duration.
•    The slash proc duration will end prematurely if the initial target loses 50% of its current health during the time it has experienced the slash proc.
•    This has been modelled after Frost’s Freeze Ability.

(2)    Zircon Walk: Named after the picture below.

Spoiler

49518de2.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the zircon crystal is an example of a crystal with a tetragonal lattice structure. In the picture above, the actual object is somewhat representative of the lattice structure itself. Tetragonal was assigned puncture damage which will be the damage type that this 2nd ability procs. This is why I chose Zircon Walk for the name.

About the abilitiy, Zircon Walk: [NAME] creates a circular field of short small crystals on the ground. Mobs that enter the field have their movement speed and fire rate reduced by 40/50/60/70% as long as the field is active. This is a toggle-able ability and will drain 25/18/15/12 energy per second. The crystal field radius is 9/12/15/19 m. Additionally, on contact with the crystals on the ground, mobs are inflicted with 50/65/80/100 puncture damage per tick. This ability will tick puncture damage as long as it is active. When the ability is no longer active, the proc lasts for 2 more seconds and then stops.

•    Damage is affected by Power Strength
•    Range is affected by Power Range
•    Activation and channeling energy costs are affected by Power Efficiency.
•    Energy Siphon is deactivated while Zircon Walk is channeled.
•    Trinity's Energy Vampire cannot be used to restore [NAME]'s energy while Zircon Walk is active.
•    This was modelled after Banshee’s Sound Quake and Frost’s Ice Wave.

(3)    Helion Vault: Named after the picture below.

Spoiler

helm101.jpg

According to Wikipedia heliodor crystal is one type of three different types of beryl crystals. Beryl crystals have the hexagonal lattice structure, which I assigned impact damage to. As this second ability procs impact damage, I chose Helion Vault for the name. 

About the ability, Helion Vault: [NAME] erects four walls perpendicular and opposite to each other, with a space in between the walls (like a cage) and a space at the corners between each wall. These wall will be made of bars (maybe like the crystal seen above?) with small spaces in between them such that mobs cannot pass through. The walls will then close in towards each other and seal completely to form a closed cube. This in effect creates a sort of prison for the mobs within the enclosed area. Additionally, on the inner face of each wall at the middle, bars will extend outward, perpendicular to that inner face and towards the opposing wall. If each wall does this, the perpendicular bars will now create a grid like pattern inside the prison, trapping mobs in the spot where they stand. They will not be stunned and if armed will be able to fire their weapons through the small spaces in between the bars. But they will not be able to move. When cast on mobs it will be able to trap 6/8/10/12 mobs for a duration of 8/10/12/15 seconds. The range of the prison (length of one wall) will be 5/7/8/10m. This in effect means that the enclosed area of the prison will be 25/49/64/100 square meters. Additionally, due to the grid like pattern that locks the mobs in place, 40/65/80/95 impact damage per tick is inflicted on the mobs in that area. The grid only ticks for 6 seconds but remains so as to trap the mobs for the duration of the structure. Energy cost is 75.

•    Number of affected enemies and impact damage are affected by Power Strength, and the impact damage can be increased by body-part multipliers.
•    Duration is affected by Power Duration.
•    Field radius is affected by Power Range.
•    Can be cast up to two times.
•    Can be cast upon friendlies and oneself. This imprisons the friendlies/player inside the structure but keeps mobs outside. Mobs outside can still fire at you if armed. Friendlies inside the structure however gain 15% damage reduction within the structure which is affected by power strength, but capped at 60% damage reduction. Additionally, for the friendlies within the structure, the grid-like pattern formed by the perpendicular bars will grant temporary bonus armor. Basically instead of the impact proc, friendlies gain an armor increase proc. This is basically a temporary application of [NAME]’s passive to each friendly within the prison. If [NAME] is within the prison the armor gained will be permanent however, according to [NAME]’s Passive. For the friendlies, the temporary bonus armor expires 4 seconds after the prison is gone. NB: Can only be cast upon friendlies if ALL squadmates (total number of squadmates present )in the mission are standing no further than 1 meter apart from each other. This can be cast on [NAME] alone if the user wishes. Otherwise, the distance criteria mentioned above must be fulfilled before it is cast upon other friendlies. This is to prevent troll-use of the ability.
•    This was modelled after Vauban’s Bastille.

(4)    Haemon Growth. Named after a blood crystal that is obtained by heating a hemoglobin solution with acetic acid containing a little common salt.

About the ability, Haemon Growth: [NAME] spins around dispersing small crystal seeds which attach to enemies and begin to grow. The crystal grows to become large deformations on the mob which inflicts a lifesteal damage proc that ticks for 3%/6%/8%/12% of the mobs total health for a duration of 5 seconds within a range of 5/8/11/15 meters. This will bypass shields and armor and affect enemy health directly. The lifesteal damage ticks will regenerate [NAME]’s health as well as teammates lacking health with 45%/55%/65%/75% efficiency. If [NAME]’s health is at 100% maximum the lifesteal damage ticks will add to [NAME]’s armor as the passive suggests, albeit with a 50% efficiency.
Haemon Growth will deal an addition 5% lifesteal proc if mobs are already afflicted with any one proc from the previous three abilities and an additional 10% lifesteal proc if mobs are already afflicted with any two procs from the previous abilities. Energy cost is 100.

•    Damage is affected by the power strength and any other proc already inflicted.
•    Range is affected by power range.
•    Damage bypasses obstacles in the environment and does not diminish with distance.
•    Duration is affected by Power Duration.
•    Haemon Growth will inflict a reduced tick of damage for non-integer durations.
•    This ability was modelled after Saryn’s Miasma.

I currently do not have any ideas as to how this frame should look. I spent a lot of time trying to flesh out my ideas clearly and I feel confident that I can peak some of your interests with this. Thank you for your consideration of my ideas. Anyone has permission to do some concept artwork for this frame, if you can decide on its gender. However, please do not steal the ideas. Thank you again.
Regards,
kalikilic.

Edited by kalikilic
Edited Helion Vault in an attempt to make it less susceptible to trolling with it. Also changed the damage reduction logic when cast on friendlies.

35 minutes ago, AurumandArgentum said:

Well then, you uhhh, did your research. Though I would suggest you remove formatting from everything as on the dark theme you can't see anything.

Edited and changed my profile to the dark theme. seems readable to me now. Ty for that.

latest?cb=20121104085046

The first thing that came to mind..

Anyway, I saw "imprison friendlies" and that sounds like a horrid idea. Folks in this game can and do troll, and that sounds like a prime way to do it. The 2 seems.. Incredibly energy hungry for what it does. He also has incredibly high defensive stats, which may need to be reigned in. And his 4 seems extremely similar to Scarab Swarm.

27 minutes ago, (XB1)KNIGHTX605 said:

For the girl look it could have a long skirt made of crystals, the shoulders can be crystal tipped, and the head could have a crystal like crown.

Honest, I think this could work either/or. Or, make it look androgynous, and confuse everyone! 

That aside, I like how you fleshed out your Warframe to the max, and doing it in a very "smart" way. Could just be me, but I could see a lot of people understanding it pretty well, and could be a very fun Warframe to play as.

Edited by MissMarifire

6 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

Honest, I think this could work either/or. Or, make it look androgynous, and confuse everyone! 

That aside, I like how you fleshed out your Warframe to the max, and doing it in a very "smart" way. Could just be me, but I could see a lot of people understanding it pretty well, and could be a very fun Warframe to play as.

thank you. (Are you talking about phantom?)

Hello. I think the feedback so far has been great. I've only edited Helion Vault as seen at the bottom of the original post. Right now, trolling with that ability seems to be the largest concern from people who have read it. Everything else has remained as I originally intended. I would hope a developer sees this idea at some point.