Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to kill a bursa?

SchnitzelTruckO_O

Question

I'm a pretty new player, and for the first time, I ran into something called a bursa. It literally just sat in a corner, and repeatedly knocked me down until it killed me. I was using the Cernos bow with the orthos. I got down the pattern that it used for knocking me down repeatedly so that I was able to dart in, hit it a few times and back away before it knocked me down, repeating this for about 5 minutes until I finally killed it. After I had killed it, it didn't look destroyed, and there was a "hack" option, which I assumed would disable it. So just after hacking it, it came back to life, but did not attack me. I started off towards my mission, assuming it was docile now, when it ran after me, hit me with a grappling cable, towed me in, and killed me again. What kind of thing is this that does not die? I had a much easier time killing bosses solo than this thing. Is there some easy way to kill it that I don't know about or am I just too low of a level to kill it?

10 answers to this question

You have to aim for it's back, the hack makes it a temporary ally that will die on it's own after a short period of time. the bursa that reeled you in was probably a second one that spawned in, there are different types that serve different purposes.

Isolator bursa: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Isolator_Bursa

Denial bursa: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Denial_Bursa

Drover bursa: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Drover_Bursa

Edited by Implodingbanana

Hacking them isn't necessary, but doing so causes them to fight for you for a brief period of time before dying. They normally shouldn't turn on you once they've been hacked, so my guess is that another one spawned in while you were fighting and hacking the first one.

But yeah, Bursas can be a bit ridiculous at times, especially with low-level equipment and/or if there's more than one. You may be better off avoiding them entirely by making sure to deactivate the alarms whenever a Crewman brings them up (Bursas won't spawn unless the map is alerted to your presence). But if you must fight them, a few ways to get behind them include:

• Most warframe CC abilities can stagger or stun them
  • Status effects like Ice and Fire can make it easier to get behind them
  • When Drovers and Denial Bursas launch their rocket/mine salvos, a well executed bullet jump can allow you to jump over the projectiles and the Bursa itself, giving you time to shoot them in the back
  • I'm not sure if works with all melee weapons, but simply hitting them can stagger them, so you hit them with melee, roll behind them, and shoot/melee them in the back

Depends on who/what you use. A Mag will tear through a bursa with Magnetize, Loki and Ash will allow you to attack it from the back where it's weak with ease, using CC abilities will help. Using melee isn't the best tactic because of the knockdown and in high level content if you get knocked down by a bursa you're dead. I don't think weapon choice is really that important. As implodingbanana stated upon killing a bursa it will enter a state where you can hack it by using the terminal on its back. This will cause it to act as an ally for a short duration and I'm pretty sure it increases the drop rate for its rarer drops.

Hitting them from the back definitely gives you the easiest way to deal damage, but there IS a very small hitbox on them between their two shields on the front. If you have an accurate enough weapon, or you're desperate enough to kill it and can't get behind it, you can aim for that gap and get some damage in as well. It can be very difficult to hit, though.

So first of all you only have to kill it once. You can then either wait for it to fall apart or hack it. If you hack it it fights for you for a while and then falls apart+ it also has a higher drop chance for mods then.
You probably got attacked by another bursa in your mission.
Also they only show up when alarms have been activated. In endless missions alarms are always active and some missions automatically activate the alarm(rescue,sabotage). In those missions you don't get as many bursas as in regular missions with the alarm active however.

The console on their back is where they take the most damage. CCing them and then attacking them from behind is the best way to kill them.

If I remember correctly bursa spawn at a set time interval while alarms are up. A second bursa spawned as you didn't disable the alarm.

If you don't want to deal with/feel incapable of dealing with them, as said above, just disable the alarm as soon as it is started. This will prevent the spawn. Also they only spawn on maps above a certain level (off the top of my head around 25?).