Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Orokin and The Ottoman Empire

PopGligor

OTTOMAN EMPIRE 

It occurred to me that the Orokin have a lot in common with the Ottoman Empire. Initially it feels Orokin were just obsessed with gold, but as I started doing quests with lore, I noticed they feel exactly like the Ottoman Empire at its peak around the 14th century. 

Characterized as a gunpowder empire, the Ottoman Empire conquered huge chunks of Europe, Asia and Africa using very advanced weapons. Their military power was unmatched. 

In terms of wealth - undoubdedly the Orokin were the wealthiest the Solar system has ever seen. Just like Suleiman was the wealthiest ruler ever when he became the sultan of that empire. His rule is the golden age of that empire - not only in terms of wealth and prosperity, but also in terms of pure gold. Just like void towers are laced with gold, Ottoman palaces and mosques were too. 

That's all too much reaching. Now this is the interesting part.

Ottomans realized how valuable it is to let the peoples they conquered keep their culture. As we saw in the Inaros quest, the Orokin did not interfere in the beliefs of the people they conquered. Ottomans had imposed a tax on those who followed Christianity, but they let them practice the religion. In Bulgaria, we have churches that predate Ottomans conquering us, which speaks to how much they valued culture. 

**SPOILERY BIT HERE**

Spoiler

Ottomans had what's known as Umbra... I mean Jannissaries. But this is my speculation about Umbras. Jannissaries were Turkish soldiers, whose job was to collect blood tax - take little children from the people they had conquered to turn them into soldiers for the Empire. These kids would never know their origin, and instead would completely serve the Empire. Killing their own people if they had to. 

Just like the Orokin, the Ottoman Empire was magnificent on the outside, and rotten on the inside. Ruled by some of the brightest minds of its time, driven by desire for more wealth and power. They are one and the same. Or at least I like thinking that they are.

Orokin created snetients who gave them a good whoopin`, not sure about the same or similar in Ottoman (jannisarries surely was @#&*s ready to serve anyone if the payment is good or riot if the payment was not as good as they wanted, besides unlike Tenno jannisaries were not treated as low sort trash)

very interesting. regarding Janissaries, they were more than just elite soldiers and Royal Guards for the Sultan, they were also politicians and had a say in how the empire was run, and they were one of the few people who were allowed to openly say they disliked the Sultan if that was the case. it's also assumed that they knew how to make Greek Fire.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

very interesting. regarding Janissaries, they were more than just elite soldiers and Royal Guards for the Sultan, they were also politicians and had a say in how the empire was run, and they were one of the few people who were allowed to openly say they disliked the Sultan if that was the case. it's also assumed that they knew how to make Greek Fire.

That kind of speaks to sultans' greatness. They did conquer us, but I have to lie to myself to say it wasn't a great empire that Suleiman built. Few rulers would allow any of their people to openly say they dislike them. Also, all the more reason to think Umbras may have been the Warframe equivalent of Janissaries. Unless DE opts for making "umbra" a technology that Orokin developed and we get to discover or something similar.

As a guy from Balkan, i know very well what were Ottoman Empire. And i would not say that Turks are similar to Orokin Empire. I mean, yes, they both loved silk and gold, but Turks were much better Emperors then Orokins, as we know who were Orokins by now. Also, I think Orokins never did something that much evil like taking tax in blood. Sure they experimented with their own children, but they didnt take children from other races and raised them to be Orokins and teaching them to hate and kill their own family.
I see there is very little similarities between Ottomans and Orokins. As we speak about their weapons, China had guns before Ottomans, they even had "rockets".
If you consider Umbras as Jannissaries, then i dont want Umbras in this game. Its insulting to ppl who lived under Ottoman slavery for 500 years (!!!).
Also, that story how Turks respected other cultures..forget about it. How many Ortodox churches were destroyed on Kosovo and beyond, just to build

Mosque
 on that holy soil? Countless.
Edited by ARHYST

I'm from Bulgaria, mate. I have the same feelings towards that empire. Although, I'm leaning towards hating the USSR a lot more. Joining the USSR was a cultural suicide for my country, where under the Ottoman empire a lot of our culture survived. As I value culture more than people, you can imagine how I feel about the USSR. Fun fact is that before our liberation, Russian serfs were *jealous* of how we have it in the Empire. When we were freed and joined the USSR, Russia took over our culture. The fact that the USSR was destroyed by the ineptitude of its leaders only makes me happy. I was born the year the USSR fell, and 15 years later, in school, I was still taught Russian propaganda about the Ottoman empire.

I don't know how and why churches were destroyed in Kosovo. I know that we have churches in Bulgaria that predate the Empire conquering us, and that while people were encouraged to switch religions, and their lives were harder if they didn't, they didn't have to actually do it. But maybe in Kosovo it was different. From what I can find, Kosovo is 90% Muslims, where Bulgaria is 60% Christians and only 8% Muslims despite us having been conquered for about the same 5 centuries. It may just be my perspective on this one but it seems to me Turks let us keep our Christianity.