The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[suggestion] Ducat Heist game mode idea for U19

PancakeLord333

I had an idea for a new game mode specifically for U19+ with the new star chart/void update that is coming.

The Background/ reason for the mode:

So if you've read about the void changes you'll know that you will be able to choose your prize from one of (upto) 4 possible void item rolls on a void tear mission, great for choice and a second chance at that tasty loot we're all after. But perhaps less useful for ducat-farmers.

My idea to account for this is to include a new 'heist' game mode, mechanically similar to SPY. At one point Baro (or the wiki, i forget which) explains that Ducats are the long-forgotten currency of the Orokin empire. Thus the corpus, maybe high-ranking Grineer too, may still keep some in museums or vaults.

How the mode would play:

The heist game type would initially start like spy but with only one vault - which would contain a number of smaller safes/lockers (and perhaps artefacts/statues, as it would be a vault full of valuables after all).

1) Break in first

2) Then a mobile defence timer starts where the team will have to crack open as many safes as they can in X mins (no ciphers allowed), whilst fending off waves of security troops. Each safe popped open grants the team 20 ducats, for example, upto a limit of 400 or 20 safes in the vault; a ducat counter would be displayed somewhere on the screen.

3) The players will also have to escape the vault before the mobile defence timer expires and a security door slams in-place (killing them instantly with poison gas, like being on the wrong side of a torsion portal) each player that dies in the closed vault/when the timer expires lowers the total ducat take by 1/N [where N is the number of players in the session]. This encourages a "do i crack open one more safe, or run?" dilemma.

4) Because you've just managed to anger every corpus/grineer within a parsec, normal exaction is unavailable. you'll need to find a window and evac via Archwing, making a short dash through space to the finishing point..

Balancing the mode

Including some re-programmable turrets in the vault may be helpful to give players wanting to play in teams smaller than 4 some extra cover whilst cracking open the safes/lockers. Ducat numbers and the timer would also need to be balanced, obviously, possibly via including credit caches, fusion cores and orokin cells in some lockers or by making the mission a frequent Alert (much like treasury ship missions)

what does everyone think?

I initially posted this on reddit and the link to it there is: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4rhov4/suggestion_ducat_heist_game_mode_idea_for_u19/ 

I doubt we'll ever get an alternative source for ducats...

But I do like this. It honestly sounds like it could be really fun. Reminds of of the Pay Day series, but with a Warframe flavor.

6 minutes ago, DeltaPhantom said:

I doubt we'll ever get an alternative source for ducats...

But I do like this. It honestly sounds like it could be really fun. Reminds of of the Pay Day series, but with a Warframe flavor.

Thanks! that was in the back of my mind too when i was coming up with it. I feel there's certainly room for a fast, combined(of several mission types) and less combat focused mode like this in the game - even if the rewards aren't purely about ducats. They could always have a small chance of spawning in a safe for example with credits, fusion cores and resources being more common.

Edited by PancakeLord333

Since our ducats earning might be hampered by the incoming star chart rework, I think this would be a good thing as an alternative to prime parts farming.

Also, don't forget to tell the Lotus to buy better drills.

8 hours ago, Jangkrik said:

Also, don't forget to tell the Lotus to buy better drills.

As someone who has played payday 1 and 2 for more hours than I want to admit, this comment had me in stitches! Thankyou!

As for op, sounds great and really fun, hopefully goes from being a dream to reality one day!

I really like the idea of a heist in Warframe, since I think the game already has all of the elements to support this, scattered throughout different mission types.  They really just need to be assembled.  I have a few rough thoughts on how I envision it, myself, as well as how to keep ducats in check if such a mission type were to exist.

The mission itself would incorporate elements from Spy, Rescue, and Mobile Defense, with many aspects resembling the new Sabotage missions.  Breaking through security would be a non-linear experience.  By exploring and familiarizing themselves with the environment and guard patrols, players would find various weak spots in security, allowing stealth and subterfuge, with hacking to bypass lasers and locked doors.  Of course, using brute force would also be an option.  Once alarms have been activated, breaking through vaults would take a little time, with plenty of enemies to fend off. 

Since ducats, as a currency, are meant to be limited in quantity, this mission type would be optimal as a form of alert or daily mission.  The heist would give either a flat reward, which players would receive in full upon a successful mission, or a reward based on a high score, with consecutive runs rewarding additional ducats by beating your high score.  In this way, heists would give players a reason to participate in them regularly, without tempting players to excessively grind the mission for a larger surplus of ducats.  Players are given a more interesting way to acquire ducats, while keeping the currency intact.

13 hours ago, Dell_the_Engie said:

I really like the idea of a heist in Warframe, since I think the game already has all of the elements to support this, scattered throughout different mission types.  They really just need to be assembled.  I have a few rough thoughts on how I envision it, myself, as well as how to keep ducats in check if such a mission type were to exist.

The mission itself would incorporate elements from Spy, Rescue, and Mobile Defense, with many aspects resembling the new Sabotage missions.  Breaking through security would be a non-linear experience.  By exploring and familiarizing themselves with the environment and guard patrols, players would find various weak spots in security, allowing stealth and subterfuge, with hacking to bypass lasers and locked doors.  Of course, using brute force would also be an option.  Once alarms have been activated, breaking through vaults would take a little time, with plenty of enemies to fend off. 

Since ducats, as a currency, are meant to be limited in quantity, this mission type would be optimal as a form of alert or daily mission.  The heist would give either a flat reward, which players would receive in full upon a successful mission, or a reward based on a high score, with consecutive runs rewarding additional ducats by beating your high score.  In this way, heists would give players a reason to participate in them regularly, without tempting players to excessively grind the mission for a larger surplus of ducats.  Players are given a more interesting way to acquire ducats, while keeping the currency intact.

I thought about various ways that it could start off, whilst minimising grind-potential, initially suggesting that it simply be a rare alert like treasury ships. The alternative which I think would be fitting, is to make it a daily mission - much like sorties or raids (but not as long, one flaw with raids imo is how long they take to setup+do, and stringing people over 3 matches usually leads to network issues) and instead of using keys or whatever to start it, you go to a relay and speak to Darvo and Clem who offer up the heist. Darvo and Clem have the knowledge, background and connections to orchestrate such a mission, ive always assumed Darvo's deals fell off the back of a space-truck.

I personally don't agree with your idea of a flat reward, ducats aren't just rare they are old. Their rarity comes from their limited supply, having been lost to the ages, which is why I suggested the initial payout system - you are genuinely stealing ducats held in corpus and Grineer artefact collections/vaults, aside from Baros kiosk ducats simply aren't in circulation anywhere, so an arbitrary payout makes little sense.

By introducing a theft-counter and limited window to steal as many ducats as you can[upto a limit], whilst fending off enemies it adds tension, which is what a lot of warframe's missions lack, despite having the element of challenge. Then when you see the victory payout directly reflecting your hard work (instead of an arbitrary flat value) there is more of a sense of accomplishment, assuming you did well, instead of just grindy, hollow gameplay.