Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon rework suggestion

SHIR0B0N

Hello people of the internet!

After a lengthy discussion with @tnccs215 one very early morning, we have both come up with some interesting ideas (in our opinion) to rework Oberon and make him scale with endgame. Let's face it, even after his recent rework, Oberon's kit is still lacklustre and it hurts me to say this as I main Oberon. We know suggestions hardly make it into the game, but I really think there's some potential in these ideas to make him a real performer while still maintaining his balanced "jack of all trades" side.

We propose the following changes:

• SMITE:

Smite is a bit redundant when Reckoning serves as a better CC move. We think that we could fuse Reckoning and Smite together to make this his main damage/offensive ability and make Reckoning do something else, which I'll explain later. Damage will be buffed to scale with late game, and to have a bit more utility than just being a CC move. Speaking of the CC aspect, we suggest that, instead of spawning random tracking orbs from the original target (that end up spinning around in place anyway), we instead generate one orb that directly goes to another enemy as long as there within a certain range, with a maximum of 4 orbs generated per hit target. And if the targets hit by the original orbs have enemies within range as well, then they will also generate orbs (at reduced damage) towards those targets , and so on and so on. Kinda like a virus proliferating from cell to cell. You could have a huge chain reaction and affect a whole room, if it's filled with enemies. Basically, the more enemies, the more powerful this ability becomes.

It sounds a bit complicated so I'll try to use an example. Let's say we have our original target "A" on front of us. Two other enemies "B" and "C" are standing behind him at 4 meters, "D" at 7 meters and another one "E" 20 meters away. We cast Smite on "A", and any enemy standing with Smite's range (let's say 5 meters) gets affected. It generates 2 orbs from our "A", to the two standing at 4 meters, "B" and "C". This 1st iteration of orbs will deal 100% damage. "D" will now be in range from the last affected enemies "B" and "C", so they will generate one orb and "D" at a reduced damage (i.e. 85% damage). Since "E" is more than 5 meters away from "D", "D" will not generate any orbs.

I hope that clears the concept of a "wave" of Smite. The surviving enemies will of course be proc'd Radiation and Knockdown, whereas the dead ones will have 50% chance to drop health. 

• HALLOWED GROUND:

Hallowed Ground will simply be changed to an aura surrounding Oberon, instead of a fixed small rectangle where he casted. Forcing 3 other warframes to stay within a small rectangle more detrimental than having an aura around Oberon, where he could just go to the ones who need it the most, or have the others stick around Oberon. This would be a great support ability. Armor buff should be a bit more potent. tnccs215 suggests +600 armor in the aura's range, I would propose +200.

• RENEWAL:

Renewal would be changed to a direct heal ability, but at a fraction of the power of Trinity's Blessing, so as to not make her useless. Instead Renewal will heal xx% of a warframe health depending on the ability's level, no travel time, just directly heal and any excess healing will turn into regenerated shields. If the target has maximum shields at the time we cast Renewall, excess healing will turn into overshields. This last part will not apply if the target already has an overshield. So if you have overshields, get proc'ed Toxin and then get healed, you won't gain additional overshield.

Example: Tenno "A" warframe has 1000 health and 500 shields. Oberon's Renewal is at level 1 and only heals 50% health of a warframe. "A" loses health and ends up at 800, if we cast when "A" has no shields, it would heal 200 health and give 300 shields to "A". If we cast Renewal when "A" has maximum shields, it would heal for 200 health and would give an overshield of 300, making A's total shield points of 800.

• RECKONING:

With Smite filling the role of Reckoning, we would change Reckoning into some sort of "Juggernaut" mode, which will increase Oberon's health regeneration by 50% and give him innate health regeneration obviously. With no delay. It will buff several stats by a small number. What stats to buff, we don't know what to choose without making it overpowered, but let's say it will buff Armor, Range, Duration, Strength by perhaps 10%-20%? While draining energy at a fixed rate while it is active (toggle ability). Getting hit by enemies will drain even more energy. That way, we could make Oberon more durable as he was intended to be, while giving synergy with other abilities.

--------------------------------------------

That said, we haven't discussed what will be affected by strength, duration, etc... because it was 4-5 am when we talked about this xD

But that's the gist of what we thought would make Oberon great again. (No, that wasn't a reference to Trump)

Any other ideas or feedback would be welcome, we might have overlooked some aspects of the game because we were tired. @tnccs215 correct me if I forgot stuff, pls.

tnccs215's corrections:

1 hour ago, tnccs215 said:

Welp, think you got most of it correctly or good, though my idea for Renewal and his ult was slightly different:

I imagined Renewal to basically stay the same, however, the interaction with power duration would invert (more power duration=more time heal), and that this regeneraion wouldn't stop when Oberon (and just Oberon) is fully healed. Friendlies, however, would have their regeneration halted indeed. Everything else would pretty much stay the same, with projectiles, status cleansing, etc.

And his ultimate would simply supercharge this, granting Renewal additional heal over time for oberon, and, unlike the unbuffed renewal, the buffed one would not stop regenerating allied health after they have it maxed.

Of course, I do not dislike your idea: you simply incorporated the heal overtime directly onto the ultimate.

Also, I have to note: I did not propose 600% armor increase. I propose 600 armor (or more). Simply because, if we use percentual buffs, frames that desperately need armor (like Banshee) will barely get any benefit, while frames that have plenty of it (like Valkyr) won't have any. making it grant a static bonus of armor instead of a percentual one would equally buff the damage resistance of any frame in range.

Edited by SHIR0B0N

Not bad suggestions imo. I really like the sound of Reckoning and Hallowed Ground. The problem that's always been with this frame is that his concept has been confused since day one. By that I mean DE won't flat out decide whether he's either a druid type frame or a paladin, currently he's more the prior than the latter as he definitely vies more toward caster. Plus with skins, his animal friendly trait and other things he seems more like that every day. Your suggestion however would definitely put him more in the paladin camp, that and it would push Oberon into a niche where he's no longer a jack of all trades but master of none (similar to Hydroid) and I get the feeling that DE want frame builds to have that Burger King motto of have it your way which makes it a more arduous task. If DE wanted to still walk the line of druid/paladin they could always give him the armor viability of the paladin you've put it the abilities description but give them a woodland overhaul where he gets Ent (Treeman) armor or something of the like. Hell for poops and giggles they could come out with a stat called wood armor that's resistant to everything but fire damage.

Edited by SanguineSavant
Clarification

1 hour ago, SanguineSavant said:

-snip-

I actually like that "Ent" armor thing. Maybe we should let HG buff armor to 600. But your idea about mixing elemental strength and weaknesses with the ability is very interesting, despite it being for shizzle and giggles. It could allow for strong abilities, while not being overpowered.

Edited by SHIR0B0N

Welp, think you got most of it correctly or good, though my idea for Renewal and his ult was slightly different:

I imagined Renewal to basically stay the same, however, the interaction with power duration would invert (more power duration=more time heal), and that this regeneraion wouldn't stop when Oberon (and just Oberon) is fully healed. Friendlies, however, would have their regeneration halted indeed. Everything else would pretty much stay the same, with projectiles, status cleansing, etc.

And his ultimate would simply supercharge this, granting Renewal additional heal over time for oberon, and, unlike the unbuffed renewal, the buffed one would not stop regenerating allied health after they have it maxed.

Of course, I do not dislike your idea: you simply incorporated the heal overtime directly onto the ultimate.

Also, I have to note: I did not propose 600% armor increase. I propose 600 armor (or more). Simply because, if we use percentual buffs, frames that desperately need armor (like Banshee) will barely get any benefit, while frames that have plenty of it (like Valkyr) won't have any. making it grant a static bonus of armor instead of a percentual one would equally buff the damage resistance of any frame in range.

Edited by tnccs215

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:14 PM, Oranji said:

Update 30.10.0

Changes

• Oberon's Renewal is now properly affected by Duration. Higher duration = longer heal time and less duration = shorter heal time.
  • Heal per tick is no longer affected by duration but strength mods alone.
  • Renewal will continue healing on the remainder of the duration instead of stopping upon reaching full health.
  • Changed Renewal's animation. It no longer involves slamming an invisible staff to the ground which looks awkward cuz you don't always have one.
  • Hallowed Ground has been changed to Hallowed Aura.
  • Hallowed Aura's armor buff has now changed to damage reduction while under the effect of this skill.
  • Increased Oberon's base health and armor values.

Wake me up when we get this.

Quoting myself.

Drastic changes like you proposed are good but that will of course take time. I would like to hopefully get some minor fixes before further rework.

PS: I hope I'm not coming off as being intrusive on your thread.

55 minutes ago, Drufo said:

Nice and all, but you forgot something: casting speed. Oberon is frikin slow at casting, even with natural talent. A buff to casting speed would be appreciated

I think that will be one of the balancing factors. 

15 minutes ago, Oranji said:

Quoting myself.

Drastic changes like you proposed are good but that will of course take time. I would like to hopefully get some minor fixes before further rework.

PS: I hope I'm not coming off as being intrusive on your thread.

I will not object to any good ideas. Some of your points concur with ours.

I don't really wanna see Oberon reworked though. He recently became my favorite warframe, and I think people dislike him, because he's hard to use, and he's hard to use, because he has to play multiple roles to be good. Playing multiple roles is the reason to play him, because if you  only want damage, buffing, healing, support, or CC, there's another frame that'll do it better. Just not all of them. The only change I'd really suggest for him is a range increase for Hallowed Ground.

If he were to get a rework, making it easier to play multiple roles with him would probably be the direction most people who like Oberon would appreciate, while making him easier for other players. That be doable by making his abilities have multiple affects, like Nezha's Blazing Charkram, which deals damage and has a healing AOE (IDK how useful it is, but the functionality is there).