Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does one Chroma?

1tsyB1tsyN1nj4

Question

So today I asked myself, after having Chroma for about 3 months now after doing his quest and getting him built, "Why do I still not get him?" Because I'm having trouble fitting him into any of my play styles or even making him his own, I haven't sunk any Forma into him either, but today I got a Forma bp from an alert, so I decided to do something with it to Chroma. I still have Steel Charge as his aura, but I was wondering, between Rejuvenation and Energy Siphon, which one would be better for a general purpose Chroma? (One where Vex Armor and Elemental Ward are going to be used a lot) I feel my build already has what I need (Except Primed Continuity since Baka Trash-Tier hasn't brought it yet) but I'm stumped as to what aura I should use. I see the benefits of both, but since I can't decide, might as well let the community/ other players who use Chroma

12 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, rawr1254 said:

Max str. Max duration. Cold element. Steel fiber + vitality. Rejuvenation aura. gud game.

alternatively you can go max eff high/max range and fire for maximum cc potential.....but your suggestion is certainly the better of the two and i agree rejuve is waaaaay better for chroma

Edited by Caobie

3 minutes ago, Caobie said:

alternatively you can go max eff high/max range and fire for maximum cc potential.....but your suggestion is certainly the better of the two

No, good "cc" would be 130% eff, max duration, str to 200%, primed flow, steel fiber, no vitality, heat element. Gives a good effigy and lets vex armor+ward still be useful. 

Range is utterly pointless on chroma

Edited by rawr1254

3 minutes ago, rawr1254 said:

-snip-

hmm right forgot duration affects drain powers...but the range was more to augment the range of spectral scream to apply fire to as many targets as possible and effigy's aoe stun (unless that aoe is unaffected by range and im a dumb) so that it could be more effective

Edited by Caobie

basically, if you solo a lot more => D slot

teamplay => - slot, if you want even more teamplay, get the everlasting ward augment

basically all you need is some power strength[intensify, t.fortitude. power drift] and duration [p.continuity.narrow minded. constitution] if you dont have p.cont. regular continuity is fine, then some defensive mods like vitality, steel fiber, vigor[you can skip vigor you have the guardian augment for your sentinel]

if you want an even more in-depth guide on Chroma, then i'd suggest you check out our friendly spud Tactical Potato, he pretty much taught me how to be a beast with chroma

Edited by Varacal

If you only have one Forma to spend it might be worth looking at de-polarising the Aura slot entirely so you can switch between Rejuvenation and Energy Siphon entirely. But what I'd probably do first is add another D or V polarity to the frame for Steel Fibre or Blind Rage. Probably the latter, really- something like this will give you a very tough Warframe, especially with Elemental Ward up while using Ice energy colours. For whatever reason, Effigy's crowd control stun radius and dragon breath isn't effected by Power Range so Narrow-Minded helps a lot with its drain and amps up the time on Vex Armour and Elemental Ward quite handily.

To get the most out of Chroma does require going full ham with mods and Forma in a way that most Warframes don't- you hit the point of diminishing returns with him a lot later than any other Warframe I've used. I'm still not entirely happy with that build and fiddle about with the Rage/Quick Thinking combo in favour of other mods (Constitution and Intensify, mostly) and because I enjoy pain and suffer a crippling sense of self-loathing I have a second Chroma with the same Polarities on the Frame and Exilis slots but the Aura is a - to facilitate the use of Corrosive Projection in team environments.

The only other advice I have is that I try not to cast Elemental Ward and Vex Armour in rapid succession, I try to cast them 20-30 seconds apart so their timers overlap. That way there's always at least one of them running if things go sideways.

Edited by WrathAscending

@rawr1254

The reason I dont get rid of that Steel Charge is because im a Melee lover. I have been thinking of swapping it out for CP but with the Specters of the Fail update Im having 2nd thoughts on my Forma.

Anyways if for OP's Question Chroma isnt a paper tank but he is one of the best if not the best tanks in game. He scales well on lategame, his dmg also scales, he can make those sortie assassinations a joke but you will need to give him some love.

For a no Forma build just go with VitalitySteel FiberRage for efficiency and Survivability and put in as much Power Duration with a mix of ContinuityConstitution, or Narrow Minded. Then simply put in whatever Power Strength mods you can.

If you really want to min-max Chroma then I suggest to change the Aura polarity to something more useful like - for Corrosive Projection. And if you want to go GOD MODE I suggest investing in some arcanes as well. 

And if you really wanna go endgame, (Warframe's endgame is FASHION FRAME) then id suggest you invest in those Tennogen helmets. Its fun rampaging with the Kronen as a Shock Chroma wearing the Kaiju helm.

19 minutes ago, rawr1254 said:

Cmon dude get rid of that Steel Charge >:O

Pretty sure it's just there to give him the Capacity points to max out Primed Continuity, Transient Fortitude, and Narrow-Minded in the future. If he wanted to trade Steel Charge for a non-polarised Aura slot he'd need another 3 Forma, 2 if he changes it for Rejuvenation or Energy Siphon/Corrosive Projection.

8 hours ago, WrathAscending said:

If you only have one Forma to spend it might be worth looking at de-polarising the Aura slot entirely so you can switch between Rejuvenation and Energy Siphon entirely. But what I'd probably do first is add another D or V polarity to the frame for Steel Fibre or Blind Rage. Probably the latter, really- something like this will give you a very tough Warframe, especially with Elemental Ward up while using Ice energy colours. For whatever reason, Effigy's crowd control stun radius and dragon breath isn't effected by Power Range so Narrow-Minded helps a lot with its drain and amps up the time on Vex Armour and Elemental Ward quite handily.

To get the most out of Chroma does require going full ham with mods and Forma in a way that most Warframes don't- you hit the point of diminishing returns with him a lot later than any other Warframe I've used. I'm still not entirely happy with that build and fiddle about with the Rage/Quick Thinking combo in favour of other mods (Constitution and Intensify, mostly) and because I enjoy pain and suffer a crippling sense of self-loathing I have a second Chroma with the same Polarities on the Frame and Exilis slots but the Aura is a - to facilitate the use of Corrosive Projection in team environments.

The only other advice I have is that I try not to cast Elemental Ward and Vex Armour in rapid succession, I try to cast them 20-30 seconds apart so their timers overlap. That way there's always at least one of them running if things go sideways.

I tend to cast both pretty much right after each other, so the timers are just a second or so apart, because the S#&$ I use Chroma for tends to require using both as not to eat S#&$ and die. I like to pop Vex and Ward too before using Spectral Scream, because being slowed down so much to do some CC really leaves you open to a butt@(*()$ from ranged units. Chroma I feel is one of the hardest frames to actually mod properly to get the most out of.

5 hours ago, WrathAscending said:

Pretty sure it's just there to give him the Capacity points to max out Primed Continuity, Transient Fortitude, and Narrow-Minded in the future. If he wanted to trade Steel Charge for a non-polarised Aura slot he'd need another 3 Forma, 2 if he changes it for Rejuvenation or Energy Siphon/Corrosive Projection.

Pretty much why I have SC on mine still, but Steel Charge really doesn't help a team or even yourself much if you don't focus on melee, and from personal experience only Flame Chroma is truly melee oriented, the other 3 are more ranged with their respective Elemental Ward.

As soon as I get on to play again later I'll see to trying some of these builds, so thanks for the advice guys ^o^

Think I have 6 forma in my Chroma, build for max power, health, pretty sure I have no flow or eff, duration sitting around 40 seconds for his 2 & 3.   Just cast 2 and 3 then just bludgeon everything to death.   This used to be my team playing build for hour plus t4 survivals as I could just stand in the middle of 40 enemies and revive people no worries.