Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How long would it take to delete half a Terrabyte?

Cyborg-Rox

So I'm in this situation right now, it's a bit complicated, so context is optional. I'll post it in a spoiler. Short version: My main computer is non-functional until it has cleaned its harddisk, which is stuffed up to half a Terrabyte (500 Gigabyte), and I have no indication of time or progress.

So, in general (my computer is pretty average) how long would that take?

Detailed context:

Spoiler

I'm undergoing a clean installation of Windows 10 on my computer, and am currently undergoing the installation from a USB boot (in which Windows is not active). From there, I would choose to install Windows onto the main harddisk of my computer, but an error is occurring thanks to come compatibility issues preventing me from selecting the harddisk for installation, so I look for help, ask around, someone links me to a guide from Microsoft's website regarding the exact problem I'm having, and I'm instructed to completely clean my harddisk via the command prompt. I have just done this, but I am now not receiving any sort of feedback, but I'm sure that the cleaning process is underway. So all I can do is sit here on my old boring laptop and wait for half a Terrabyte to be deleted.

It's getting late (3AM) so all I'd like is at least some kind of estimate of how long I'm gonna be sitting here waiting to do the next step.

Oh my god, literally right as I post this topic, I accidentally click out of the command prompt, when I open it again, everything seems normal, I can type, I refresh the install window and boom, the harddisk is clean ohmygod I just wrote all this for nothing ;-;

Edited by Cyborg-Rox

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, (PS4)eyepet2002 said:

Although the problem is solved, all deleting a file does is remove its pointers, so the hard disk can't locate it. So basically as long as it takes to delete what locates the files.

it really depends on what he means by "delete"... if it is a file delete that is correct, if it is a quick format it also rebuilds the FAT table.. ect ect.