Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question about pings

ChromeKat

Question

So there are times when I connect to certain players in pubs and get an average 100-200ms ping. There are also times where I connect to some people where I get 700-1000ms ping. The worst ping I got was today where I saw I had 2000ms ping on the fps counter in warframe. It is on 700ms and above where things start to get laggy, enemies start teleporting like mad. I checked other games and at most I've probably got up to 400ms connecting to somewhere in Europe (I'm from SEA) and my download/upload speed is 20 mbps.

Is the high ping my side or the host's side? Sometimes even a 100ms ping host can also cause a super laggy game. And yes, I can run the game on full requirements without any problems.

13 answers to this question

Those might be it, though there are still times where some hosts i connect to have a good ping of about 80-100ms, but gameplay is still laggy with teleporting grineers. Is that due to a potato or is it just unstable internet on host's side? There are also times when the ping spikes so high (from 100-1000++) that a host migration occurs. Are host migrations kind of a backup host change if the original host is ping spiking too much?

Sometimes ISPs have restrictions/limits with regards to p2p connections, most of the time they aren't even stated in the contract and usually the limit is on bandwidth so the ping is unaffected, also some have nat behind mortal comprehension and that also causes problems with warframe 

Edited by bl4ckhunter

Sadly the ping setting doesn't account for packet loss and as first reply said, doesn't account for the host playing on a potato that can't deal with sending you packet updates and running the game at the same time.

They could of course mitigate this issue by having the client prioritize host based on system specs or even something as simple as an elective host option.

In my experience the connection ping limit option does just about nothing.

2 hours ago, 4holes said:

Are host migrations kind of a backup host change if the original host is ping spiking too much?

very likely, yes. i had it on multiple occasions that when i tried to host a game for 2 friends i got a host migration and one of my friends hosted then.

i played with both of them individually and this didn't happen, weirdly enough.

things I've seen affect 'frame rate'... pretty much all of which could be solved by centralised servers....

pc not up to job at host or client end - underpowered pc/laptop not suitable to be host of game in my case as my pc is more than powerful enough

internet connection not good enough - ie poor upload on host or poor download on your pc.

distance from host to clients is too high - ie ping time between players.  There are no servers so the time is between players which can vary depending on where each player is based. 

As a side note: upload and download speed doesn't mean much (assuming at reasonable connection speeds) when it comes to internet ping, I've seen high speed internet with high pings due to being by satellite but lower speed internet with low pings due to being on fibre.  Ping is usually affected by distance and type of connection (fibre versus copper versus satellite etc). 

You also need to consider any transit routes  that may be taken between the players because a slow interconnect can also cause increased pings. 

10 minutes ago, Dumfing said:

I think it p2p is better for Warframe's model

economically yes, game performance and 'network matchmaking' I'm not so sure. 

Mind you I do personally feel that the devs maybe need to think of setting minimum requirements for pc and internet connections plus maybe even have a 'ping checker' too, whereby if you don't hit the requirements you can't play the game.... doubt it will happen though as it will cut into potential sales, no matter how much lag annoys the playerbase. 

I actually already am playing warframe at max settings, so frame rates are not the issue. My ping limit is already set to 300ms, but I somehow still join hosts which causes 1000ms or something during midgame and there would be also hosts that can go from 100ms up to 800-1000ms for a few seconds, but could be unstable internet.

13 minutes ago, 4holes said:

I actually already am playing warframe at max settings, so frame rates are not the issue. My ping limit is already set to 300ms, but I somehow still join hosts which causes 1000ms or something during midgame and there would be also hosts that can go from 100ms up to 800-1000ms for a few seconds, but could be unstable internet.

I'm talking about the host's computer