Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Master Rank should matter......

(PSN)bddacres

Just now, FierceRadiance said:

He "should" know this?  I've played this game longer than either of you and I've never heard a player called a "Draco".

Realize this is quite a ways down the thread from your original post, but OP, please don't call out someone for engaging in (what you perceive as) sarcasm, and then turn right around and reply sarcastically to someone else. Really makes you look bad.

If i wont use the term can we just go back to the OP this debate is getting tiresome and is overshadowing the OP

1 minute ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

...The MR to MR matchmaking doesn't actually solve much because the distribution will still vary incredibly. There will be both really good and really bad players of the same mastery rank. Forcing people to join within a certain range only makes matchmaking that much more empty.

I've suggested (without much hope that DE would actually change things) that hours spent in-game is a much better indicator of a person's skill than MR, for purposes of matchmaking.  Nothing's a guarantee, of course, but 'hours in' just naturally encourages players to learn, grow, and get better at the game.  Don't know as I want it to be the most important aspect to matchmaking, but I think it should be a strong part of the decision-making algorithm.

1 minute ago, Eminem2420 said:

You lost me when you started looking down upon another person for such a silly reason. Alienating a portion of the playerbase will not end well, neither will restricting matchmaking.

Your assumption is wrong mate... Let's get back to the OP

Just now, (PS4)bddacres said:

No, my assumption is not wrong. It is heavily implied that you look down upon these players. I cannot take you seriously if you believe that these people are inferior because they played Draco.

No you literally want to segregate based on Mastery Rank which almost everyone agrees is irrelevant when it comes to "player skill".

Also my previous post wasn't an opinion. It was a fact.

24 minutes ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

Let bring it back on track... 

Whats your view on the Mr restriction topic

Nah, not going to happen mate, I'm too tired and bitter to be of any use to this volatile debate.

I'm just going to ask one very simple question : do you think Mastery Rank is the right tool, the appropriate "measuring stick" for what you ask?

47 minutes ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

That was a ignorant statement

yes it was, but there's a point to be made against general matchmaking by MR. There's way too few of us :( 

Perhaps during tac alerts it could work. But then again, it would only be useful if that rank actually meant anything related to a players progress, effort or skill.  I think that the game's system isn't inherently bad (level many different weapons, gain "mastery") but it's rendered pointless due to a related problem: There is no proper "gear progression" in this game yet. You can get endgame weapons at low MR, and weapons that require high MR routinely become obsolete due to power creep. see dragon nikana (rank 8) and nikana prime (rank 0 as far as i know).

Perhaps after this issue is finally addressed, we could benefit from those restrictions and from more gating by MR.

Until then we can enjoy carrying some newbs every once in a while. If you talk to them and help them along, it doesn't have to be a negative experience. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

You say you want to get back onto the Topic at hand yet you have to respond to everyone who brings that up?

Seems backward.

Also the main point of this thread has been covered in which MR is an irrelevant way to see how skilled someone is.

Just now, Marthrym said:

Nah, not going to happen mate, I'm too tired and bitter to be of any use to this volatile debate.

I'm just going to ask one very simple question : do you think Mastery Rank is the right tool, the appropriate "measuring stick" for what you ask?

Yes, to some intent. I saw conclave rating as a proposal but, that poses an issue with taking a unranked weapon into a mission

1 minute ago, Eredoc said:

You say you want to get back onto the Topic at hand yet you have to respond to everyone who brings that up?

Seems backward.

Also the main point of this thread has been covered in which MR is an irrelevant way to see how skilled someone is.

ehh your viewpoint may have been covered along with some others.. but it of hoping on the derailment just contribute a valuable viewpoit.

ehh your viewpoint may have been covered along with some others.. but it of hoping on the derailment just contribute a valuable viewpoit.

Then what is a Valuable viewpoint? Is my belief that MR is irrelevant not Valuable and cover what the topic is about? What has been valuable viewpoints so far if most of this topic has been the same thing being voiced?

Also I'm not sure how my post was derailing more than making an indication of your actions in the thread and then voicing my opinion on the thread with what people have said.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

Yes, to some intent. I saw conclave rating as a proposal but, that poses an issue with taking a unranked weapon into a mission

Conclave was pretty much as useless as MR since certain guns etc... had more conclave rank meaning depending on how you like to play, you are then being restricted for liking a specific weapon/setup, which in a Pick-up, PVE game is not entirely healthy and at that point, again you should either go solo, search recruiting or play with clans.

My overall view on this is that there should be no "official" restrictions put in place because this isn't a game where your loadout matters [unless you are going endless or are doing sorties both of which should be organised to avoid frustrations] and you should have fun doing so, if you are having issues with a teammate then just block them on the Playstation, there is literally no reason for any sort of restriction should be put into place.

Just now, Eredoc said:

Then what is a Valuable viewpoint? Is my belief that MR is irrelevant not Valuable and cover what the topic is about? What has been valuable viewpoints so far if most of this topic has been the same thing being voiced?

Also I'm not sure how my post was derailing more than making an indication of your actions in the thread and then voicing my opinion on the thread with what people have said.

Conclave was pretty much as useless as MR since certain guns etc... had more conclave rank meaning depending on how you like to play, you are then being restricted for liking a specific weapon/setup, which in a Pick-up, PVE game is not entirely healthy and at that point, again you should either go solo, search recruiting or play with clans.

My overall view on this is that there should be no "official" restrictions put in place because this isn't a game where your loadout matters [unless you are going endless or are doing sorties both of which should be organised to avoid frustrations] and you should have fun doing so, if you are having issues with a teammate then just block them on the Playstation, there is literally no reason for any sort of restriction should be put into place.

Saying your opinion is the answer is the thread with little information as to how besides using others as backing is why i made the comment

1 minute ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

Saying your opinion is the answer is the thread with little information as to how besides using others as backing is why i made the comment

So I try and make a "Valuable viewpoint" and you only focus on that? No discussion on different opinions, nothing.

Also why should I provide a reason when others have already done so, at that point I'm beating a dead horse by repeating what has already been said.

1 hour ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

Have you ever hoped into pubs and seen a mr 2 begging the group to leave the because he is doing zero damage or, seen a "draco" screw up a tactical alert because he's so used to playing dps that he forgot that the game doesn't revolve around it this is (imo) because of lose mastery rank restricts and matchmaking. Mr should restrict players to some extent (eh mr 12 tops). Matching making should put players of similar mr into groups together first. Thoughts

This would break up the community. We don't need to split up more players and have to wait even longer to get into a squad

4 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

CAN YOU SAY?

P R E T E N T I O U S?

your not using the word correctly....

4 minutes ago, Eredoc said:

So I try and make a "Valuable viewpoint" and you only focus on that? No discussion on different opinions, nothing.

Also why should I provide a reason when others have already done so, at that point I'm beating a dead horse by repeating what has already been said.

Also, no you made a comment that was portrayed as provoking. I was just asking for you to further your response as you did

Edited by (PS4)bddacres

Alright, let's put it this way OP :

I think what most people are trying to make you understand is that though they understand why you ask for a skill-based matchmaking, they disagree with you on the how to implement it. For them, using Mastery Rank to decide who is "skilled" and who isn't is a bad idea. Because Mastery Rank simply doesn't measure that skill, it only shows how much time and effort the players put into ranking up frames and weapons. Using it for anything else could be potentially disastrous.

Dismissing other people's opinions because they differ from your own is not constructive here, it just conveys the impression that you are too stubborn or arrogant to value their input, that you're not really asking for them to give their opinion, but simply to agree with yours. See what I mean? they're not trying to derail your thread, they're trying to make you understand their own point of view, based on their own experience of the game. Whether you make something of it or not is entirely up to you.

2 minutes ago, Marthrym said:

Alright, let's put it this way OP :

I think what most people are trying to make you understand is that though they understand why you ask for a skill-based matchmaking, they disagree with you on the how to implement it. For them, using Mastery Rank to decide who is "skilled" and who isn't is a bad idea. Because Mastery Rank simply doesn't measure that skill, it only shows how much time and effort the players put into ranking up frames and weapons. Using it for anything else could be potentially disastrous.

Dismissing other people's opinions because they differ from your own is not constructive here, it just conveys the impression that you are too stubborn or arrogant to value their input, that you're not really asking for them to give their opinion, but simply to agree with yours. See what I mean? they're not trying to derail your thread, they're trying to make you understand their own point of view, based on their own experience of the game. Whether you make something of it or not is entirely up to you.

Oh, i understand that.... I just think theres a failure with communication.

However most references are to the term draco not the op which is disappointing. I would rather just have a debate on the op.

Edited by (PS4)bddacres

4 minutes ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

However most references are to the term draco not the op which is disappointing. I would rather just have a debate on the op.

Yeah well, I can't help you with that mate, sorry. I'm having enough trouble with myself as it is.^^'

3 minutes ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

-Sighs- The reason why people were so drawn to that part of your post was because it was a derogatory term you were using to describe people who used Draco to level their weapons and frames incredibly fast.

This discussion remains on point with the thread as it is still within the grounds of MR and why, again, MR is not a good way to indicate skill and it's mostly to point out that it's not fair to judge people based on what they do, as the saying goes "You do you, and I'll do me".

1 hour ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

Have you ever hoped into pubs and seen a mr 2 begging the group to leave the because he is doing zero damage or, seen a "draco" screw up a tactical alert because he's so used to playing dps that he forgot that the game doesn't revolve around it this is (imo) because of lose mastery rank restricts and matchmaking. Mr should restrict players to some extent (eh mr 12 tops). Matching making should put players of similar mr into groups together first. Thoughts

No I don't want match making based off of MR. Did you ever consider we like to help new players? Even if we find them in public by random match making? What is your problem with the little guys?

3 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

No I don't want match making based off of MR. Did you ever consider we like to help new players? Even if we find them in public by random match making? What is your problem with the little guys?

Dude, stop.

That isn't a valuable viewpoint.