Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Abilities Shouldn´t Be Mods

10ner

So why exactly are warframe abilities mods? Atm there is really no theoretical or practical reason for them to be.

1. It doesnt matter if you buy a warframe with plat or build it in the foundry, you will get all the abilities for free anyway. So I guess there never was a player who was extremely happy to find a Radial Disarm or a Electric Shield mod dropped by an enemy. Compare that feeling, to finding for example, your long searched after multishot mod.

2. These mods are very easy to max out. You dont get stuck at a certain point , like it happens with Serration or Hornet Strike. Even the rare ability mods are easily maxed out  with the help of other common ability mods which seem to drop by the pound on infested defense missions.

3. I feel, that abilities are supposed to be closely tied to their respective warframes. Consequently an ability shouldnt have the same status as a sprint mod or a shield mod, but that may not be a strong argument at all.

4. I think that the possibility of leaving out a situational ability or even use a Forma to create another polarity doesnt give you the opportunity to customize your frame but to get rid of flawed and bugged content.

So give the frames all their abilities permanent, the only bottleneck being the energy costs to use them and free up those much needed additional mod slots, which could then be used for those less important passive mods, like resistances, etc. and of course for other mods to come.

I think DE have already hinted that these "-polarity slots and "mods" are there so you can choose to have them equipped or not, and that they are not permanent because of that there will probably be more skills comming to each frame.

I was really happy to find a radial blind since excalibur abillities come rank1.

But i hate whenn i get a abillity for a warframe that i don't have.

Having all abilities maxed out and gettin 20+ mind control ain't great either

They should really think about customizing warframe abilities via its parts like systems,chassis or helm.

Abilities via mods is a very raw and unpolished system, purely because mods are used in modifying stats as well.

It's common knowledge in writing code for an application that each distinct action has its own function/method. Warframe devs being programmers, you'd expect to use that rule while developing game features.

In other words, you'd expect them to develop a separate system for configuring abilities and a separate system for configuring warframe stats.

It makes the system rather flexible. You can choose whether or not to have a skill, in return for more cool stat stuff you can fit on the frame.

Some frames, like Ember, use their skills quite a bit (though you can argue that World on Fire is enough.) Others, like Mag, have multiple "trash" abilities. You can choose to forgo these abilities to get better stats.

Good point, but maybe they want players to have the option to leave out an ablity in order to equip an extra mod or two

I do it with Rhinos  3rd and 4th abilities left out.
and i often dont bring ash's teleport ever since they added that annoying backflip delay

Maybe they should make 4 slots specifically for abilities, 6-8 for mods, and one for an artifact. This would allow them to add new abilities for each frame, but still restrict you to only 4 at a time. With this system there would be no "tiers" of ability cards, because they wouldn't act like mods. Instead of switching out abilities for mods when you find an ability to not be useful, you could switch it out for another ability.