Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it legal to 'give away' coupons?

Happy_Zephyr

Question

I recently got a -75% off next platinum purchase, but I don't plan on using it. I usually play with an IRL friend, who desperately needs the platinum. Would it be legal if he paid for the platinum and then I would trade it all to him? 

It kind of sounds like trading plat for items outside the game, which I know is illegal, but at the same time, I'm not actually gaining anything from it. I also know trading a large amount of plat for something like ammo drum would probably raise some red flags on DE's end, and obviously neither of us want each other to get banned.

9 answers to this question

I'm no expert, but as long as you're not trading plat for items outside of the game, if you were it would be somewhere along the lines of you selling him the plat purchase. If you profited off of something like that in-game with real life currency, I think you'd be in trouble. But as long as there is a legal transaction, where they get the money and you get the plat, then you can do whatever you want with the platinum. I am unaware if there is anything specifically against that but just be cautious.

14 minutes ago, Rikyrro said:

I recently got a -75% off next platinum purchase, but I don't plan on using it. I usually play with an IRL friend, who desperately needs the platinum. Would it be legal if he paid for the platinum and then I would trade it all to him? 

It kind of sounds like trading plat for items outside the game, which I know is illegal, but at the same time, I'm not actually gaining anything from it. I also know trading a large amount of plat for something like ammo drum would probably raise some red flags on DE's end, and obviously neither of us want each other to get banned.

As to "illegal", I think it technically is. It may be safer to buy the plat yourself, trade it, and then have your friend reimburse you? I don't really know.

That said, I know it's been done by other people before and they've no had issues, so you're probably okay. DE gets paid for the plat either way, and as long as neither of you are throwing accusations at the other for theft or something, I don't personally see the problem. I've given away lots of expensive things, plat included, for Ammo Drums before and never had a problem. Heck, Ammo Drum is practically our clan's currency. All of us give stuff away very often and I've never heard a hint of any of us getting in trouble for it.

3 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

According to the Supreme Court it is illegal to give away your password if you want him to use the coupon him/her-self.

Except Hillary Clinton. She gets a pass. She bae.

Pretty much what this guy said, but it depends if you live in the United States. As for Clinton hmmmmmmm

Edited by --rrGenomega--

30 minutes ago, Rikyrro said:

I also know trading a large amount of plat for something like ammo drum would probably raise some red flags on DE's end, and obviously neither of us want each other to get banned.

I got pretty big amount of plat (<500) shared plenty of times between me and friends (real life friends). For different reasons (birthday present, on loan, being generous etc). All plat was legal. I'm playing Warframe for 1.5 years already, never got banned or warned. Also I know that there have been 1000 plat giveaways few times (not from DE) and nobody got banned.

You may become a suspicious guy only if you play too rare. In this case it looks like you are just having two accounts and holding one of them for illegal profit.

The rule isn't really there to stop two friends from trading plat with one another (though it would be a headache if you two got in a fight and then wanted DE to solve it).

I think it is to stop the headaches that would ensue if someone haggled on an online classifieds site, had the transaction go wrong, and then wanted DE to start sorting things out (also possible legal issues if the region had queer laws).