this is a haiku text

confusion bolts my mind

as this thread is about undead

yet you speak in realism

while this thread is for the not realism

lava can melt undead and it's cool

Uhhh....

Uhhh....

This topic is about injecting realism into a Zombie apocalypse.  OverloadMcCute is on the right track.  

Spoiler

Hesk i @(*()$ swear to god why can't you even stop dank memeing here.

Anyways. If zombies were real they would have absolutely no clue on how to avoid traps out of all things. Apparently this hasn't been the case with recent survival games (7DTD).

Just now, Derinkavat said:
  Hide contents

Hesk i @(*()$ swear to god why can't you even stop dank memeing here.

Anyways. If zombies were real they would have absolutely no clue on how to avoid traps out of all things. Apparently this hasn't been the case with recent survival games (7DTD).

but lava can melt people efficiently

6 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Therefore it doesn't melt people, it makes their blood explode in their body.

No, that would be phosphorus if it were injected into an active circulatory system.

What would happen with the liedenfrost effect is that it would rapidly evaporate all of the water in the body, creating a gaseous bubble (or layer) between the core mass and the heat source. The buffer layer would not be as good at transferring heat and would also lower friction causing some ridiculous skidding.

Part of this is exacerbated my lava and molten metal (if you used that instead) tending to form a crust where they meet the ambient temperature. Now if the undead were dunked beneath this crust THEN they would cause an explosion of sorts. Though not necessarily the body, the explosion would mostly be caused by gasses trying to escape.

2 hours ago, heskaroid said:

we're talking about unrealistically live corpses here

Not necessarily, this is part of the reason I asked for more data, because the state and manner of decomposition is actually rather important for determining a variety of things.

Water loss in a corpse only really happens in certain scenarios, most environments the corpse will stay rather... "juicy" should we say. Liquefaction occurs more often than dessication. The liedenfrost effect isn't hindered by the state of decay, but rather by the amount of water (or other liquids) in the mass.

Just now, hammerheathen said:

Not necessarily, this is part of the reason I asked for more data, because the state and manner of decomposition is actually rather important for determining a variety of things.

Water loss in a corpse only really happens in certain scenarios, most environments the corpse will stay rather... "juicy" should we say. Liquefaction occurs more often than dessication. The liedenfrost effect isn't hindered by the state of decay, but rather by the amount of water (or other liquids) in the mass.

lava can still melt people and it's cool

Just now, heskaroid said:

lava can still melt people and it's cool

People don't really melt.

We combust, char, and burn. Our skin can melt as can a few other things in our body,but the bulk of our mass doesn't actually melt.

The problem with the liedenfrost effect, people, and lava is simply that lava is too hot. That in essence is what the liedenfrost effect is all about. Well that and the fact that people aren't made up entirely of one uniform distribution of mass and material. But that's another story.

Just now, hammerheathen said:

People don't really melt.

We combust, char, and burn. Our skin can melt as can a few other things in our body,but the bulk of our mass doesn't actually melt.

The problem with the liedenfrost effect, people, and lava is simply that lava is too hot. That in essence is what the liedenfrost effect is all about. Well that and the fact that people aren't made up entirely of one uniform distribution of mass and material. But that's another story.

who cares it kills people and it's cool

12 hours ago, Arcane_Intelligence said:

Wouldn´t army or something like that deal with zombies before it becomes apocalyptic scenario?

Even if there would be a virus that spreads through the air they would be properly equipped.

Ideally yes, they would be the best people for the job.  Assuming most of those teenagers in service didn't freak out and run for the hills, taking most of the equipment with them.

15 hours ago, Noamuth said:

Ideally yes, they would be the best people for the job.  Assuming most of those teenagers in service didn't freak out and run for the hills, taking most of the equipment with them.

I suppose it's also fair to keep in mind that most of our destructive weapons aren't designed to target the head. It's reasonable that it will take a few skirmishes before the military directly figures that out (if zombies showed up, people wouldn't immediate accept it), then after that we have the chain of communication required to distribute that information.

If the information is disseminated quickly, an apocalyptic scenario would never happen. Unless they were like the zombies in World War Z (movie, not the book).

I think I'd die from the stench. It'll be better that way. If I don't die of the stench, I'd walk out the front door mindlessly. And as the zombies eat me alive, I suddenly have a change of heart and screams for help. Somebody SHOOT ME!!! PLEASE?!!! Then boom...bye bye. 

Oh, I got a brilliant idea. Zombie run!!

48 minutes ago, hammerheathen said:

I suppose it's also fair to keep in mind that most of our destructive weapons aren't designed to target the head. It's reasonable that it will take a few skirmishes before the military directly figures that out (if zombies showed up, people wouldn't immediate accept it), then after that we have the chain of communication required to distribute that information.

If the information is disseminated quickly, an apocalyptic scenario would never happen. Unless they were like the zombies in World War Z (movie, not the book).

Hydrogen bombs, or Napalm.

Edited by RetiredEdgeLord

Actually, are we discussing a zombie outbreak in our universe, or one where zombie movies never happened?

If we had one in our universe, we would never have an issue on such a large scale -  So many people know about aiming for the head already.

26 minutes ago, Noamuth said:

Actually, are we discussing a zombie outbreak in our universe, or one where zombie movies never happened?

If we had one in our universe, we would never have an issue on such a large scale -  So many people know about aiming for the head already.

fast zombies would be pretty hard to hit in the head tbh.

56 minutes ago, RetiredEdgeLord said:

Hydrogen bombs, or Napalm.

While napalm would work over time. A big concern is collateral damage. Many of our explosives that don't cause (comparitively) much collateral damage will leave fairly large (enough to be dangerous) portions of the body intact.