Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kestrel Vs Glaive

LordMidnightX

Question

Ok I have compared the stats and read the wiki but I wanted some opinions of people who have used them both

I am currently making the Kestrel and I want to know if it is worth it for me to make the glaive as well. I am sure I will make it eventually but should I actively farm for the materials. 

14 answers to this question

A great many people seem to think the Glaive is a great weapon...I personally have found it to be absolute Trash. So i'd say ignore it, Its nothing but Swag.

But thats the issue, Its only my opinion. Maybe somebody has found the perfect mod combo to make it a viable weapon...If So, id love to hear it.

there are multiple threads about this already.

Glaive is a slow "gun" placed in the melee section, it is also silent.

Kestrel is a weapon with the ability to knock down enemies providing great utility...it also has everything the the glaive does.

= Glaive sux, Kestrel rules

A great many people seem to think the Glaive is a great weapon...I personally have found it to be absolute Trash. So i'd say ignore it, Its nothing but Swag.

But thats the issue, Its only my opinion. Maybe somebody has found the perfect mod combo to make it a viable weapon...If So, id love to hear it.

Swag as in #$$?

But I have both:

I agree to first response. Glaive is really good for stealth but not so useful when they are constantly firing after you but Kestrel is really good for combat as the knockdown allows you to breath and recharge your shields.

EDIT: This censoring system is quite annoying, some words shouldn't be censored.

Edited by noveltyhero

Swag as in #$$?

But I have both:

I agree to first response. Glaive is really good for stealth but not so useful when they are constantly firing after you but Kestrel is really good for combat as the knockdown allows you to breath and recharge your shields.

EDIT: This censoring system is quite annoying, some words shouldn't be censored.

Swag as in "Hey look what i got, Cool isnt it? Pointy bits, flies around, Sweet Shlt, right?"

Like the Reaper Prime...its not that good of a weapon, but man does it look good. And its also a bit rare, so not everybody is hauling one of these around.

Personally, I find Kestrel to be good esp against infested. Its range is shorter, which makes it return faster and knocking down (rag-dollize) some Ancients (Toxic seem to be resistant to this though) and other enemies that are too icky to touch/go into melee range is very useful.

With some timing, Kestrel can be great as a filler weapon when my magazine runs dry. I like to throw it just before reloading (unlike the original glaive, catching it will not interrupt reload. I have not tested glaive again to see if this is the current case as well)

and dont forget the Kestrel ragdolls on-hit xD

also it AoE ragdolls everything in a small area with the jump attack -> I pushed so many heavys into the abyss with this o.O

also thanks to this you can insta kill bosses if you manage to ragdoll em into endless pits/out of the map right now (until it's fixed), but it's pretty much a random chance to do so

the only advantage the Glaive has is that the charge attack ignore armor and has a bigger projectile which makes mutli kills/ hits easier (on higher levels its the later)

also it AoE ragdolls everything in a small area with the jump attack -> I pushed so many heavys into the abyss with this o.O

This is really the big thing. It's got an AOE knockdown component that isn't resisted as heavily as other AOE knockdowns. The ranged attack is also fairly good damage until higher level enemies, while making enemies of all kinds face plant with ease.

Glaive is mostly useful in higher wave defense missions where you begin to run low on ammo. It's charge attack ignores armor, and it travels farther so you can use it from the globe to kill things once your ammo is out (or if you don't have powerful enough mods). Though getting that high in Defense missions means you'll normally have the mods, and probably a specific set up balanced around ammo efficiency as well (though you'll still start to run out of ammo at some point, outside Ogris use perhaps).

I got them both and I enjoy using both a lot. Kestrel does seem more effective, but watching the Glaive bounce around is great fun. It's really hard to go wrong with either as both have 2 polarity slots without using forma that are set to use killing blow and reflex coil, the charge damage and charge speed mods, which makes throwing them faster and makes throwing more damaging.