Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why only some Tennogen?

LBCake

Question

Why does Warframe standalone have a only a portion of the Tennogen offered through Steam? I've got the work around set up but I'm genuinely curious, if anyone out there knows the answer to this I'd love to hear it.

9 answers to this question

The old "Tennogens" were items submitted here on the forums during a contest, and were then implemented in the game by DE themselves, it wasn't at all related to Steam. (All those items are recognizable ingame with a platinum price). This is cool for us on all platforms, but require tons of work for DE, and huge delays before seeing submissions ingame.

All recent Tennogen ones are made through the Steam Workshop Toolkit, which allows implementation/sales only through their market (legal reasons established by Steam for ALL games that use their toolkit). Those submissions are "easy" to implement for DE, and thus the delays between the creation and availability ingame is minimal. But they have to comply to Steam conditions and rules regarding purchases, availability, transfer. That's why we have to buy those items only with real money, and it's possible on PC only for those who use SteamWarframe.

Tennogen =/= Steam.

Tennogen=made by the Community. (after that, there are several ways for DE to implement in the game).

2 hours ago, Inarticulate said:

The old Tennogen weapon skins I believe came before Steam became the platform for Tennogen.

2 hours ago, Yaerion said:

The old "Tennogens" were items submitted here on the forums during a contest, and were then implemented in the game by DE themselves, it wasn't at all related to Steam. (All those items are recognizable ingame with a platinum price). This is cool for us on all platforms, but require tons of work for DE, and huge delays before seeing submissions ingame.

All recent Tennogen ones are made through the Steam Worshop Toolkit, which allows implementation/sales only through their market (legal reasons established by Steam for ALL games that use their toolkit). Those submissions are "easy" to implement for DE, and thus the delays between the creation and availability ingame is minimal. But they have to comply to Steam conditions and rules regarding purchases, availability, transfer. That's why we have to buy those items only with real money, and it's possible on PC only for those who use SteamWarframe.

Tennogen =/= Steam.

Tennogen=made by the Community. (after that, there are several ways for DE to implement in the game).

That makes sense, can't say I like it but it definitely makes sense. Y'all have my thanks.

Yeah, this is one time when being a Beta tester definitely worked against me.  I DL'ed WF back in the day as a standalone app.  I could (re)download WF via Steam, but Tennogen, as kewl as many of the fan creations there are, just didn't seem like a fair exchange for the headache of DLing a 30+ GB file.  So I can only purchase the ones available from DE and WF directly, and not via Steam. 

The sadness brings Steam-y tears to mine eyes.

3 minutes ago, FierceRadiance said:

Yeah, this is one time when being a Beta tester definitely worked against me.  I DL'ed WF back in the day as a standalone app.  I could (re)download WF via Steam, but Tennogen, as kewl as many of the fan creations there are, just didn't seem like a fair exchange for the headache of DLing a 30+ GB file.  So I can only purchase the ones available from DE and WF directly, and not via Steam. 

The sadness brings Steam-y tears to mine eyes.

You can do a partial download and transfer your files to the Steam version, you don't have to play on Steam it just serves as a storefront of sorts. I purchased a Nova skin on the Steam version closed it and opened the standalone and my new skin was right there.

17 hours ago, LBCake said:

You can do a partial download and transfer your files to the Steam version, you don't have to play on Steam it just serves as a storefront of sorts. I purchased a Nova skin on the Steam version closed it and opened the standalone and my new skin was right there.

This is the same way you can transfer an install from one computer to another.  :) I think the steam version of WF also has an overlay so you can visit forums AND be IG. 

7 hours ago, Meliq said:

This is the same way you can transfer an install from one computer to another.  :) I think the steam version of WF also has an overlay so you can visit forums AND be IG. 

True I usually just play with Chrome open tho. It's a useful feature to be sure, I sometimes have trouble with Steam connecting to the internet which is why I returned to the standalone client.

I use the standalone client for the same reason - when i had petter internet I used steam, but now I do not. this is also why I said 'I think' it could have changed...  Though I do occasionally log in to look at Tennogen and buy stuff...