Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Babysitting

(PSN)DesecratedFlame

Not naming names here, but I was running hieracon earlier. It was me (as Nova P.), a Mirage, and another Nova. Not naming names, but the Nova player would always be way off from the extractor. The Nova went down at least 3 to 4 times before we had even had hit 500 cryotic. At a certain point we stopped running halfway across the map to get him up, especially when we were half way to the next extractor or have another one deployed. 

(Look, I know that Nova is squishy, but I was playing as Nova too, plus I was right in their faces using a redeemer.  Neither I nor the Mirage went down before the 1700 mark.)

So anyway . . . 

After this Nova has died around 2 to 3 times before we have even hit 1000 cryotic. He sends the message. "OMG SMH . . .", and quits out. 

What would you all have done?  How far out of your way will you got to baby sit bad players (not players that are actually trying, but players that run half a map away from the objective spamming melee and keep dying)? 

Just now, JSharpie said:

Idk but I really don't think the forums is the right place to talk about this.

Talk about it with friends, not make a post shaming someone even namelessly on the forums.

It's not a name and shame. I specifically left out names for just that reason. The point of this is a general discussion to find the general community consensus on the proper etiquette in this type of situation. 

57 minutes ago, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

It's not a name and shame. I specifically left out names for just that reason. The point of this is a general discussion to find the general community consensus on the proper etiquette in this type of situation. 

Well, I can tell you the proper etiquette is to not make a forum post about it.

1 minute ago, (XB1)falconpwnch0234 said:

i agree

Just now, JSharpie said:

Well, I can tell you the proper etiquette is to not make a forum post about it.

I think you're wrong, but rather than spamming the topic with off-topic posts, just don't reply. If you think that it violates the community rules (I don't) then just report it instead and let a mod make the decision whether or not to close it. Until then, don't spam it. 

kthxbai

I think you're wrong, but rather than spamming the topic with off-topic posts, just don't reply. If you think that it violates the community rules (I don't) then just report it instead and let a mod make the decision whether or not to close it. Until then, don't spam it. 

kthxbai

It's not off-topic, you asked a question and I answered it. The proper way to handle this is to not get mad, don't make a forum post about it, and ignore it. Put them on your block list if you want.

It happens to everyone, ignore it and move on.

10 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

It's not off-topic, you asked a question and I answered it. The proper way to handle this is to not get mad, don't make a forum post about it, and ignore it. Put them on your block list if you want.

It happens to everyone, ignore it and move on.

It's off-topic because that's not what I was asking in the first post. I was asking what you would have done in game if someone kept running off from the objective and getting merced. Would you have kept running to get them up and risked the extractor repeatedly even though they were clearly not even trying to play to the objective? 

Edited by (PS4)DesecratedFlame
typo

It's off-topic because that's not what I was asking in the first post. I was asking what you would have done in game in someone kept running off from the objective and getting merced. Would you have kept running to get them up and risked the extractor repeatedly even though they are clearly not even trying to play to the objective? 

No, I'd let them die and keep playing. I probably wouldn't even notice, when the mission finished I'd do what I always do and leave the squad like any other match, good or bad. If that person felt the need to PM me I'd ignore the message and ignore them. 

1 minute ago, JSharpie said:

No, I'd let them die and keep playing. I probably wouldn't even notice, when the mission finished I'd do what I always do and leave the squad like any other match, good or bad. If that person felt the need to PM me I'd ignore the message and ignore them. 

Thank-you for your on-topic reply. 

I wouldn't run across half of the map just revive someone.

And I wouldn't want anyone to come back for me either.

Tbh it actually depends on the mission type. I'll probably go back to you in an exterminate if I can get to you in time.

But If we are in a Defense/Excavation mission I will stay close to the Objective.

If I can survive without the usage of abilities and without bunny-jumping 24/7 you should definitely be able to survive too.

Simple as that.

Edited by Icpmcp
hellodarknessmyoldfriend

3 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

if reviving is going to geperdise the objective's safety i let them die

This sounds like the objectively right thing to do. Either the player learns, after being downed fast, that they are not capable of parting from the group and survive or they are wasting a revive. The objective is more important as it is the means of accomplishing what everyone of the squad is there for. By not reviving and babysitting players that part from the group and letting them die in favor of the objctive, you are showing that the team's effort is more important to you, than than bailing out a selfish player.

In the past. Limited revive per day made it much more satisfying to watch someone dies repeatedly in agony.

Now? I still have limbo to deliver justice!!! 

let him dies, banish to annoy him or save him by banish

normally if work load is not much in that mission carry is possible

otherwise I would just quit (after he ran out of revive then tbagging a few times ofc)

Edited by Volinus7

42 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

Exactly. The thing is, even if they are out of revives they're still rewarded.

To me it's one of the worst things if unsupportive and inconsiderate behavior leads to rewards.
The objective is to defend the extractor and collect energy.
Any effort to complete the objective should be rewarded.
Malperformance should not.

If players are absent from the extraction (at least from the tile it's taking place in) they should not gain anything.

Edited by DNG0

Not much you can do about it if you go public. People that don't know what to do, people who leave after 1 rotation, people who die all the time. I was doing bere a lot these days to farm relics. And I ran into all sorts of people there. Thankfully most of them knew what they were doing but some... 1 person was dying all the time, wasn't capturing objectives too, then I look at MR and it's 17... I try to res anyone when I can, but when I see that a person is dying a bit too much I start to prioritize protecting the objectives over helping them

45 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

I believe the word you're looking for is "jeopardize" :)

And yeah, I usually play CC or Support frame, so I'll try my best to revive them, unless doing so risks the mission (because then all of us won't get any reward :P)

While in the mission, I might give them advice to help them later like, "if you see any octopus, kill them first," stuff like that.

Edited by Beggining
Woot da woop

Generally I dont go reviving players that run off on Hieracon and leave others to guard the excavators while being outside the affinity range. Its incredibly selfish and takes affinity from others if they have come to level. I think OP were fully in their right to refuse to revive that Nova because they have to learn their mistake sooner or later.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

I like helping new players ecc but that guy was probably afk...i get really angry when i see afk people, I immediatly stop playing and go where they are, let them die and tbag over and over and over. then i leave the game, no one is leeching my games.

Additionally you could record some footage or take some sceenshots of the mission results and share those with the helpdesk.
AFK-play can be reported. Just humping them doesn't do much.

46 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

This.  However, outside of that, my personal policy is that I'll run across the map to revive someone without question once.  After that, if they're on the other side of the map (not including small maps.  Being on one of the other towers (or between towers) in interception isn't going to get you abandoned), there needs to be a good reason for them being there.  And if someone's dropped 3, 4, or 5 times, unless this is one of those kinds of missions, I'm likely to start questioning whether they'll manage to do enough between now and the next time they're needing to be revived to make up for the things I'm not doing while finding and reviving them - not exactly a high bar to clear, but...

24 minutes ago, Hesyol said:

Not much you can do about it if you go public. People that don't know what to do, people who leave after 1 rotation, people who die all the time. I was doing bere a lot these days to farm relics. And I ran into all sorts of people there. Thankfully most of them knew what they were doing but some... 1 person was dying all the time, wasn't capturing objectives too, then I look at MR and it's 17... I try to res anyone when I can, but when I see that a person is dying a bit too much I start to prioritize protecting the objectives over helping them

I wasn't worried about it. Like I said, he left at around 800. I was the host, and the Mirage and I duo-ed it to 2000 anyway no problem. I was more taken aback because he seemed incredulous at us not leaving the extractor to rez him again and again. Hence the thread. I wasn't sure if common etiquette dictated that you babysit them or not. Not that I would, but I was just wondering why he felt entitled to act self-righteous.  

15 minutes ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

I like helping new players ecc but that guy was probably afk...i get really angry when i see afk people, I immediatly stop playing and go where they are, let them die and tbag over and over and over. then i leave the game, no one is leeching my games.

Nah, he wasn't AFK. He would just see an enemy in the distance, start running at it while spamming melee even before he was close to it, and he would just keep following the line of enemies farther and farther away. 

Just now, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

I wasn't worried about it. Like I said, he left at around 800. I was the host, and the Mirage and I duo-ed it to 2000 anyway no problem. I was more taken aback because he seemed incredulous at us not leaving the extractor to rez him again and again. Hence the thread. I wasn't sure if common etiquette dictated that you babysit them or not. Not that I would, but I was just wondering why he felt entitled to act self-righteous.  

Well I stopped trying to understand what's going on in some people's heads. That's what good and bad about online games - you run into all sorts of people

I guess I must be crazy because I would have tried to revive him as much as possible and I would stick near him so I could help if needed. I would let him know that he would be better protected by staying near the group but I would help them nonetheless. I just makes me feel good to help out fellow Tenno.