Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee only conclave

LordFaas

How about adding a melee-only option for the Conclave? I hate firearms and I have no reason to play conclave right now where everyone just runs away and shoots continuously while the melee dude can do nothing against that. I think I'm not the only one who wants to have this option available and it would make conclave more fun and different from other shooting games, for which there are tons of much better alternatives.

Just a side note, as a PvP veteran, melee is far stronger (two-hit kill) than 90% of available guns (let me empty entire mag on/waste 5 seconds shooting at you and still alive after).

Not anyone's fault you can't keep up with your opponents, it's PvP, or do you seriously expecting people to stand still for you?

hmmm...If they do, they can't have melee weapons do the same dmg as they do in normal conclave where, If I remember correctly, everything is a one or 2 hit kill.

That means rebalancing all melee weapons available in the mode.

Which again means that they have to develop an entirely new gaming mode.... this takes time and development capacity that should- in my opinion- be spent on things like a serious quest system.... to improve the random ammassment of quests we have now. And the re-introduction of old events.

But these are just my wishes.... and every tenno wishes for something else.

So -

for the reasons stated above, I'd rather not see a melee only mode.

Do I think it's possible tho? Absolutely.

Conclave rewards you for making use of everything in your loadout, if it's chosen properly, and I rather think limiting players' options by locking them into melee would only make it less fun.

Speaking of limiting options, a melee only mode would strongly favour certain warframes over others – Atlas, Excalibur and Valkyr, for instance, would have a great advantage whilst the likes of Mesa would be left in the dust. 

And then there's also the fact that many warframe powers allow you to engage at range regardless of what weapons you have equipped – e.g. Ash's Shuriken, Nyx's Psychic Bolts and Ivara's Artemis Bow.

Perhaps you might like to check out this video on using melee in conclave:

Spoiler

That'd make everything worse.

Melee-only conclave would be similar to knife-only in Counter-Strike and maybe other FPS games. All of them never ended well.

So right now I'm seeing suggestion to remove all elements down to "whoever press channel attack first win the game" in competitive PvP.

like, what?

2 hours ago, TheJadrimian said:

Perhaps you might like to check out this video on using melee in conclave:

That's not precisely a good video to make a point. While it's a good video, it features mostly quickmelee (which to me shouldn't even be a thing as there is no "quickshot" in melee mode) and features only the most powerful aerial attack weapons at the time and no real combo usage, which is the actual focus of melee weapons. That's a video about the power of a full loadout (though no longer relevant as those weapons no longer hold that power, thanks to DE's wise choice of nerfing quickmelee into the ground and buffing actual melee combat) not about proper melee usage.

On the topic:

No, while a SwordAlone mode would be nice, I would prefer "new" and "fresh" modes: Conclave Interception, Parkour Racing, Archwing Racing, Archwing Combat.

Melee Combat is in a good position right now, it's certainly on par on raw power to guns, still a bit lacking in the air, but I consider Gun aerial dominance and Melee as the ground dominance as a good trade-off.

Melee still work be done. In particular getting rid of Stagger and adding another form of CC that prevents the target from doing an easy escape but not really interrupting the flow of battle. Encumbering on hit for 2s locking the player from bulletjump, aimglide and wall latch would work wonders to replace Stagger.

Another thing would be to fix Martial Fury already.

If and only IF DE adress the current issues with melee, then we can talk about adding a melee only mode or match modifier.

31 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

That's not precisely a good video to make a point. While it's a good video, it features mostly quickmelee (which to me shouldn't even be a thing as there is no "quickshot" in melee mode) and features only the most powerful aerial attack weapons at the time and no real combo usage, which is the actual focus of melee weapons. That's a video about the power of a full loadout (though no longer relevant as those weapons no longer hold that power, thanks to DE's wise choice of nerfing quickmelee into the ground and buffing actual melee combat) not about proper melee usage.

I'll take your word on it – I'm not much of a melee user myself. :P

4 hours ago, Fivey55555 said:

How about adding a melee-only option for the Conclave? I hate firearms and I have no reason to play conclave right now where everyone just runs away and shoots continuously while the melee dude can do nothing against that. I think I'm not the only one who wants to have this option available and it would make conclave more fun and different from other shooting games, for which there are tons of much better alternatives.

Melee is the most op thing in conclave and honestly needs nerfed 

blocking while channeling makes incoming damage do nothing while allowing you to literally 2 shot people 

some melee combos are also making weapons op and is literally stopping us gun users from shooting you

44 minutes ago, (PS4)Xx-Ribbium-xX said:

Melee is the most op thing in conclave and honestly needs nerfed 

blocking while channeling makes incoming damage do nothing while allowing you to literally 2 shot people 

some melee combos are also making weapons op and is literally stopping us gun users from shooting you

-Stagger removed? yes, replaced by something less awful. Melee op and in need of nerf? definetly not. It's the first time actual combo based melee is viable since Conclave 2.0 started.

-At the cost of f*cktons of energy, which guns don't use.

-And DE has already corrected those, and that's the idea, Guns should be used at range (except shotguns) and Melee for close quarters.

21 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

-Stagger removed? yes, replaced by something less awful. Melee op and in need of nerf? definetly not. It's the first time actual combo based melee is viable since Conclave 2.0 started.

-At the cost of f*cktons of energy, which guns don't use.

-And DE has already corrected those, and that's the idea, Guns should be used at range (except shotguns) and Melee for close quarters.

I'm getting 1 shot by certain combos which get spammed  constantly 

I'm doing 30 damage 1 burst with a burston prime while a sword does 78 damage per swing 

"at the cost of energy" wow 5 energy is such a lot of energy drained 

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Xx-Ribbium-xX said:

I'm getting 1 shot by certain combos which get spammed  constantly 

I'm doing 30 damage 1 burst with a burston prime while a sword does 78 damage per swing 

"at the cost of energy" wow 5 energy is such a lot of energy drained 

-Difference with point&click guns with similar TTK? one is pointblank and locks you in (short) animations while the other allows you to parkour freely and attack at range

-Range on a Hitscan weapons, thank DE this doesn't follow the one-hit kill quickmelee other games have with knives.

-10 energy if you have the (mandatory) mod Martial Fury, and that's per swing, you need between 2 and 6 hits to kill depending on combo and weapon. Calculate the energy cost of that, then compare to consuming zero energy. Why not make guns cost 2 energy per bullet/pellet instead (20 for snipers) instead?