The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Memory leak

_CoRDS_.NP-Hard

Have been experiencing symptoms of a memory leak for the past day.  I can get about 4 moderately long (20 min) missions before the game becomes unplayable and eventually discos from host.  If I ctrl-alt-del and pull up taskmgr, I can see that I'm using around 1.6 GB of memory, and that keeps climbing, even as the game is locked/frozen.  There appears to be pretty heavy disk activity as well, my assumption is that this is a swap-fest taking place.

i'm quite surprised Warframe is that low on memory usage at any point, frankly.

i assume this is a 32-Bit version of Windows and/or you're playing Warframe in DirectX 9? as those could possibly explain why it's that low.
it doesn't however, explain memory usage changing by any significant degree. you may want to provide specific play situations as there aren't any noticeably sized Memory Leaks in Warframe as of current, but unusual combinations of things could ofcourse be broken in some fashion.

18 minutes ago, _CoRDS_.NP-Hard said:

Have been experiencing symptoms of a memory leak for the past day.  I can get about 4 moderately long (20 min) missions before the game becomes unplayable and eventually discos from host.  If I ctrl-alt-del and pull up taskmgr, I can see that I'm using around 1.6 GB of memory, and that keeps climbing, even as the game is locked/frozen.  There appears to be pretty heavy disk activity as well, my assumption is that this is a swap-fest taking place.

For contrast, just played a 10 round defense Nitain alert on the tileset formerly known as Draco.  Memory steady at 900 MB, disk I/O normal.  It pops up after longer use, consistently.

15 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i'm quite surprised Warframe is that low on memory usage at any point, frankly.

i assume this is a 32-Bit version of Windows and/or you're playing Warframe in DirectX 9? as those could possibly explain why it's that low.
it doesn't however, explain memory usage changing by any significant degree. you may want to provide specific play situations as there aren't any noticeably sized Memory Leaks in Warframe as of current, but unusual combinations of things could ofcourse be broken in some fashion.

Direct X 11, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, 8 GB RAM, AMD 6300 (6 core), Radeon R7, 400 MHz, 6 GB RAM.

No changes in my config in about a month (and that was a simple reformat & reload).

No changes in hardware in over a year.

No particular mission types/scenarios.  It just seems to be a product of playing the game over a period of time.

I don't know what's going on with your system, but during the game mine uses around 5-8GB with around 8-12GB pagefile. What resources that the game uses is related to your system configuration. The 1.6GB shouldn't be a problem with what you have.

Further information:  I have Norton Security installed.  In addition to the normal AV functions, it records performance issues caused by processes.  I play Warframe on the daily.  As in, literally every day.  In the past three days, I have 10 alerts for high memory usage.  This is more than in the rest of September or August combined.

On 9/30/2016 at 2:02 AM, _CoRDS_.NP-Hard said:

Direct X 11, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, 8 GB RAM, AMD 6300 (6 core), Radeon R7, 400 MHz, 6 GB RAM.

i didn't have anything to say previously, but reading this a second time, i notice a possibility.

since you're using a Motherboard with an iGPU built into it, you're using System Memory for both CPU and GPU.
so the 2 gigs or so Warframe+DirectX will be using normally, is alongside however much 'Video Memory' you're using for Warframe as well. if you're using Anti-Aliasing (and other Post Process filters), have fairly high Resolution Textures, and Et Cetera, this could possibly get up to another 2 gigs(i'm going to call this just shy of a gig though since it's an iGPU and therefore you'd run into performance problems on those sorts of settings).

plus a gig or so for Windows, 500 meg to a gig for various background applications, and 500 meg to many, many Gigs for a Web Browser (depending on how many Plugins you're running and how many Tabs open - and ofcourse how fat the websites those Tabs are displaying are)...

and you are easily using up 5 gigs of your Memory already, and it can also easily be higher if you have more background applications or are one of those people that has 2395638736 Tabs open in their Web Browser.

8 hours ago, taiiat said:

i didn't have anything to say previously, but reading this a second time, i notice a possibility.

since you're using a Motherboard with an iGPU built into it, you're using System Memory for both CPU and GPU.
so the 2 gigs or so Warframe+DirectX will be using normally, is alongside however much 'Video Memory' you're using for Warframe as well. if you're using Anti-Aliasing (and other Post Process filters), have fairly high Resolution Textures, and Et Cetera, this could possibly get up to another 2 gigs(i'm going to call this just shy of a gig though since it's an iGPU and therefore you'd run into performance problems on those sorts of settings).

Isn't the AMD 6300 an FX cpu meaning that it doesn't have on-board graphics? So that Radeon R7 is a dedicated GPU, although exactly which one is hard to tell.

I have noticed that its not unusual for warframe to use ~2.5gb of ram in busy missions. But 8gb of ram should be enough, so i do suspect its a combination of warframe and other programs using up all of that ram.

16 minutes ago, qeuu said:

Isn't the AMD 6300 an FX cpu meaning that it doesn't have on-board graphics? So that Radeon R7 is a dedicated GPU, although exactly which one is hard to tell.

on AM3+, the non-APU Processors don't have an iGPU, but instead there's Motherboards available for that Socket that have an iGPU on the Motherboard.
no Desktop GPU has that name(and none are Clocked that low, also no dedicated GPU in that bracket has that much Memory - even with shared System Memory being included in the tally it's too high), only the iGPU's inside of APU's, which are the types of things you get on those types of Motherboards that come with an iGPU.

8 hours ago, taiiat said:

since you're using a Motherboard with an iGPU built into it

anyways what i said doesn't explain supposed Memory usage increasing forever with the game running, it only explains the high Memory Usage warnings he's been getting.

Edited by taiiat

• 3 weeks later...